Need ideas for DC1 while in labor - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-02-2010, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We live in a rural area and the majority of our friends do not have children and are not comfortable with them.  Our families are 2-3K miles away and although MIL will be "on call" to come around/during/after the birth, there is no guarantee that she will be here at the right time.  We have a local lady who watches DS during the day here and there and I have been making every effort to meet other moms since DS was born.  But it has been hard to find people who I connect with and the few mom friends that I have made still live 15+ miles away and have small children of their own.  So I am concerned about how to handle labor with DS.  We may have a HB, may go to our little birth center in our little hospital- both are happy options but I will not decide until I am in labor as I did with DS.  We have a midwife and a back up midwife if we HB but we can't expect them to be doing childcare while I am giving birth.  DS has never gone to sleep for/with anyone else, wakes frequently, and co-sleeps.  I don't want him in the hospital with us if we decide/have to go that route, nor do I want him standing around shrieking if I am birthing at home.  He is very high maintenance and would not be easy to deal with.

What to do?  We have almost 6 months to get a plan and a team in place but I am having a hard time...ideas?  What did you do if you didn't have family/friends nearby?

Mum to DS1 7/09 and DS2 5/11

User Tag List