Keeping placenta at hospital birth- is it possible?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 12-07-2010, 12:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

After much soul-searching and debating, I've decided to birth my twins in the hospital.

I'm making peace with the decision, but something is nagging at me today that I hadn't thought of- I really want to keep my placentas. 

DD was born at home and my mw and doula made me the most stunning placenta print and then we planted a new tree over where we buried the placenta. Her placenta print is now among the "I would run back into a burning house to save this" items. 

Nine years later, I still regret that I only glanced at DS's placenta (hospital birth) and the thought of not being able to honor the twins' placentas is just hurting me. 

Is it possible to keep your placenta at a hospital birth?

If you've kept yours, what kind of arrangements did you make and was there any drama? 

Has anyone made a placenta print in a hospital (I'm having visions of doing it in secret on the floor :)) ?

reading.gifdiaper.gif ♥ baby.gif baby.gif ♥
but a lesson must be lived in order to be learned.
and the clarity to see and stop this now
that is what i've earned (a.d.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 12-07-2010, 04:31 AM

I'm in the same boat.  I asked my midwife at my last appt, and her response was, "I will figure it out."  Folks here have recommended bringing a cooler.  I'll let you know when I find out more from my hospital.

#3 of 12 Old 12-07-2010, 06:49 AM

My hospital actually offered it to me without being asked. They nicely packaged it and kept it in their fridge until discharge also.  I was very thankful for that. I was a hospital transfer from home and didn't want to make any 'waves' so I had decided just to let it go and not even ask about it. Maybe they thought since I was a transfer I'd want it.

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

#4 of 12 Old 12-07-2010, 01:01 PM

Yes, you can keep your placenta after a hospital birth. You might want to let your birth provider know ahead of time and if you take a hospital tour let them know as well. Some hospitals have no problem with it, and some hospitals will require you to fill out a form or even get a court order.

~Attatchment and Natural Parent from instincts not from books to my 2 boys~ Childbirth Educator & Placental Encapsulation Professional
homeschool.gif familybed2.gif homebirth.jpgribbonpb.gif
#5 of 12 Old 12-07-2010, 01:07 PM

Ours you could take it home but it was something I made arrangements for ahead of time.

I'd bring a tupperware or something to take it home in, it was just in a basin after the birth and they didn't have "to go" containers.  LOL.

I'd get something not clear and maybe one of those reusable shopping bags to carry it out in?

I envisioned I'd get pulled over with my holding this placenta on my lap on the way home. 

Michelle, Mama to ~ F (10/06) ~ S (7/08) ~ H (2/11) ~ B (11/12)
Expecting a surprise (5/15)
#6 of 12 Old 12-08-2010, 08:21 AM

i even had a hospital c birth and we took ours home to encapsulate.  just make it clear that you want it and put it in your birth plan.  <3  good luck!

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#7 of 12 Old 12-08-2010, 08:29 AM

We brought a cooler and kept ours.  They said they could keep it in the fridge, but I was worried that it wouldn't be put in soon enough and kept cold or that if someone else was keeping theirs, they might accidentally be switched.  I made some of it into smoothies and planted about 1/2 of it under an apple tree (I didn't have ANY ppd, unlike my three previous postpartums).  We also had to sign a paper that released our "medical waste" to us.

#8 of 12 Old 12-08-2010, 10:31 AM

There was just a story in the Austin paper about women needing a court order to take their placenta home, because it's classified as medical waste: http://www.statesman.com/news/local/more-local-moms-taking-placentas-home-1080492.html

Jen, journalist, policy wonk, and formerly a proud single mama to my sweet little man Cyrus, born at home Dec. 2007 . Now married to my Incredibly Nice Guy and new mama to baby Arthur.
#9 of 12 Old 12-09-2010, 02:34 PM

I often bring home a placenta as a doula. I haven't ever had an issue with it and it isnt' even mine! I usually stick it in the freezer until the family gets home, or encapsulate it. Depends on what they want.

wife - mother - midwife

CIRCUMCISION

The more you know, the worse it gets.

#10 of 12 Old 12-17-2010, 05:06 PM

I OFTEN kick myself for not taking my placenta home. My nurse-midwife did show it to me, and that was awesome, but I should have kept it. ARGH. I don't think it would have been a big deal to jsut be like, "Hey, throw that in here, kplzthx."

~Rose

#11 of 12 Old 03-01-2013, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebirthing View Post

I often bring home a placenta as a doula. I haven't ever had an issue with it and it isnt' even mine! I usually stick it in the freezer until the family gets home, or encapsulate it. Depends on what they want.
I am in MN and researching this. Good to know!

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#12 of 12 Old 03-06-2013, 09:40 AM

Usually it is not a problem if you bring it up ahead of time (I would talk to your care provider and the hospital if possible) and yeah, I would bring a small cooler to keep it in.

Katie trekkie.gif - Married to Mike 06/02/01, Mom to Sydney Anne born 11/21/09 and Alice Maeryn & Oliver Thomas born 04/24/13  hug.gif 

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page