What to do about sister (and me)? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-01-2011, 02:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I think most posters above are basically right, but if I was going to recommend a book to someone that might get them thinking about birth but which is not overtly like beating them over the head with The Thinking Woman's Guide, it would be Misconceptions by Naomi Wolf.  This is the first book that I personally read that led me down the road to favoring natural childbirth and raising my awareness of the cesarean epidemic.  It is a general interest book about the road to becoming a mother and has discussions of lots of issues, problems with maternity care being one of them.  I would feel pretty comfortable recommending it to "mainstream" friends having their first baby.  I've never seen this book mentioned on this board but it definitely was the catalyst for me!

SAHM to Bird (6/07) and Bear (7/09), and now enjoying our newest additionbabyboy.gif, born June 1, 2011!  bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifsigncirc1.gifcd.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2011, 08:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

In the vein of msmiranda's post, she might find Birthing from Within helpful.  But sensitivity to her needs is utmost before recommending reading.  When I read Birthing from Within, I didn't feel it was focused on one type of birth, stressed natural birth or anything like that, but was more about working through your birth fears and learning about yourself and how to make decisions to relieve birth fear.  This might be very useful for her.  Or it could just stress her out more, so I would wait for some cue from her before offering a recommendation.

Mom to eight!!  Our twin girls arrived 3-3-2011.

User Tag List