LOW LOW hemoglobin. Very sad. Denied homebirth....what is going to happen to me? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-18-2011, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

My hemoglobin is 88 (I believe that is 8.8 in the USA). I tried everything for a month and had it retested NO CHANGE.....AT ALL.

So I  have ZERO chance of a homebirth. (I am currently 37.5 weeks pregnant).

Every one that finds out how low it is looks at me like I have two heads.

I am so freaked out. Am I going to bleed to death or what?

#2 of 6 Old 01-18-2011, 03:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Posted to your thread in TAO

Fledgling midwife on hiatus, Wife to B, mama to C (c/s ribboncesarean.gif 12/04) and S hbac.gif (12/07), angel3.gif m/c (3/12) and expecting another bean 6/13 stork-suprise.gif.

#3 of 6 Old 01-19-2011, 07:47 PM

My midwife has recommended drinking Chlorophyll for my situation.  I have no low tests, but I am a high-risk VBAC patient of hers and she says wants me drinking it in the event that I were to have a uterine rupture.  She says she has seen situations where drinking the cholorophyll has made a complete turnaround for women with low iron or blood loss.  Not only am I supposed to drink TWO TABLESPOONS THREE TIMES A DAY, I am supposed to have a full bottle on hand for my delivery.  In the event of significant blood loss she says she would want me to immediately drink the whole bottle.  Now, honestly I don't know how this will relate to your situation as I am not on the "medical end", but it is worth you looking into.  You can get a bottle of chlorophyll for $7 through The Vitamin Shoppe or In His Hands, as well, as many other places.   Hope this helps!

#4 of 6 Old 01-20-2011, 04:37 AM

Just wondering if you had your result via hemoglobinometer or an actual blood draw with anemia panel to rule out other causes of anemia??

#5 of 6 Old 01-20-2011, 06:42 PM

So, that is pretty low.  I am also interested in how it was tested.  Did you get a CBC?  First things first, how do you feel? Tired all the time, get out of breath from doing simple tasks, dizzy, pale, etc?  Are you of mediterranean descent or any other demographic that would give you a naturally low hemoglobin?  How well-nourished have you been in this pregnancy?  These are things I would be contemplating.  Also, what do you mean by 'everything?'

Second, low hemoglobin does not cause hemorrhage.  You are not more likely to bleed a lot if you are anemic.  The problem with anemia is that you may react more strongly to normal blood loss or even more strongly than non-anemic people to larger amounts of blood loss.

mom to 3 home-born children, wife to a great guy joy.gif

#6 of 6 Old 01-20-2011, 06:46 PM

I was low with my 2nd, but am unsure of the numbers.  I cut caffeine, took floradix and chlorophyll.  I had significant improvement.  Saying that I am aware that everyone is different.  What did you do to try and improve your numbers? 

I hope everything works out for you and that you have a beautiful birth regardless of where it occurs.

SJ

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page