Why???!!!! So frustrating. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 115 Old 01-20-2011, 04:51 AM - Thread Starter
 
limette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,424
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I responded to an woman saying her doctor was planning a possible induction if baby isn't here by her due date (for no other reason).

Her response was;

"I trust my doctor to make the decision for me."

Why are people so naive? Make the decision to induce by all means, but make it yourself and be informed about it.

Next week I'll be hearing about a failed induction, c-section and how the doctor saved her life.

Sorry for the vent.

limette is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 of 115 Old 01-20-2011, 05:11 AM
 
lexapurple's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 226
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you allow someone else to makes decisions for you, than you are not responsible for what happens and have somebody else to blame. It is a safe way to protect yourself.
lexapurple is offline  
#3 of 115 Old 01-20-2011, 05:19 AM
 
swede's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 564
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I think that is a little harsh.  I don't know that most woment who "allow their doctors to make all the decisions, or who trust their doctors" are thinking of who they are going to blame if somethign goes wrong. Sometimes there is just too much to know.  Some women may not have the time to become "experts".  Even with their own childbirth. 

aja-belly and greenmulberry like this.
swede is offline  
#4 of 115 Old 01-20-2011, 07:02 AM
 
msmiranda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 412
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I always get frustrated at those stories too, and I repeat, "not my baby, not my birth" like a mantra.  I guess over time I have come to terms with the fact that most women do not care about birth the way the women on this board do.  It's just not something they care to focus on (or don't have time, or whatever).  There is nothing that we can do about it except maybe try to plant a small seed of doubt and hope they follow up on it.  Most won't, but a few might.  What's too bad is that after that first section, the rest of a woman's reproductive life can be complicated by her not having cared the first time around.  I think that isn't a concern for most OBs in part because they focus on liability in the instant situation, and because most women only want 2 children.   I always say, "I can't save anyone else.  I can only save myself."

swede likes this.

SAHM to Bird (6/07) and Bear (7/09), and now enjoying our newest additionbabyboy.gif, born June 1, 2011!  bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifsigncirc1.gifcd.gif

msmiranda is offline  
#5 of 115 Old 01-20-2011, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter
 
limette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,424
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
As someone who researches every decision I make (sometimes for years) it bothers me when people are willfully ignorant. Bringing a child into the world is the most important thing a person can do. To be so blase about it and let someone else make all the decisions about it is insane to me.
sassygirl5146 likes this.
limette is offline  
#6 of 115 Old 01-20-2011, 10:40 AM
 
Full Heart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Surronded by Dairy Farms AZ
Posts: 3,603
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Last year I was at a baby shower and the woman said she was having a c/s because the placenta was in the way (She had complete previa) and she had never heard of it.  All the other women had never heard of it either.  One of those women was my mother, who had 6 of her own.  She looked at me and asked if I had ever heard of it and I must have had this look of shock on my face that here were all these mothers and not one had heard of placenta previa!  There really are some women, obviously, who are just not educated about their bodies, pregnancy and birth.  Its much easier for them to let their drs make decisions because they don't feel comfortable making decisions about things they really have no clue about.  Yes, they could educate themselves but most don't even know they need to.  For lots and lots of reasons, they have no clue that they should be educating themselves, they don't know what informed consent is or why they would need it. 

lifeguard likes this.

Expecting #9.  Always busy hsing.
Full Heart is offline  
#7 of 115 Old 01-20-2011, 11:49 AM
 
Storm Bride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 25,596
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Heart View Post

Its much easier for them to let their drs make decisions because they don't feel comfortable making decisions about things they really have no clue about.  Yes, they could educate themselves but most don't even know they need to. 



I really think this is one of the keys. When I was pregnant with my first, I talked to everyone I knew about their pregnancies (I was the first in my circle, so this was almost all women of my mom's generation and a few somewhat younger coworkers). I found out everything I could about how things worked out for them and what went wrong or right.

 

I read - viirtually memorized - a local publication called "Baby's Best Chance" (government publication, given free - with a prescription, of all things - to every pregnant woman in the province) and its information on possible interventions and why they might be needed, and on nutrition and self-care during pregnancy and labour positions, etc. etc. etc. It didn't mention any placental issues. It skipped a lot of things I've learned since. But, the major omission, imo, is that it didn't even refer to them. I can see that a smallish book doesn't really have room to go into placental issues, long-range issues from c-sections, etc. etc. But, the book could have included at least brief mentions of these things with a recommendation to do further reading if one was interested/concerned. Instead, the book always, always, always came back to "if you have any questions, please talk to your health care professional" (it was "doctor" in the original version, but midwifery was legalized by the time I had my second baby). How can I ask questions if I don't know something exists?

 

I read several other books, although I can't remember what they were all called. They were all pretty much the same - descriptions of a normal pregnancy, and normal in utero development, and a few mentions of the better known complications, interventions, etc (eg. Down's Syndrome, miscarriage, c-sections, epidurals, position changes...but with no actual mention that movement could actually ease pain). So...where does a person find information about placenta previa, if nothing that person is exposed to even acknowledges the existence of such a thing?

 

 

The one advantage I had was that I don't believe doctors are all-knowing. And, most of the things that could happen didn't. What did happen is something I've had "experts" repeatedly deny is even possible (my son turned breech during labour). I will say that none of the reading I did included the sentence, "if your medical team feels that a c-section is necessary, they won't care if you say "no" and you'll be on your way to OR". But...not sure what I could have done about that, anyway. I don't really think that my situation fell under the "if I'd known more" umbrella, but I could have been in those shoes very easily. I suspect the woman in the OP simply feels that doctors know everything about their field and she couldn't possibly acquire enough knowledge to matter over the course of a pregnancy. It's not uncommon.


Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Storm Bride is offline  
#8 of 115 Old 01-20-2011, 01:27 PM
 
Turquesa's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,041
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)

Paraphrased: If you don't know your options, you don't have any.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexapurple View Post

If you allow someone else to makes decisions for you, than you are not responsible for what happens and have somebody else to blame. It is a safe way to protect yourself.



In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
Turquesa is offline  
#9 of 115 Old 01-20-2011, 01:48 PM
 
CI Mama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 792
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by swede View Post

I think that is a little harsh.  I don't know that most woment who "allow their doctors to make all the decisions, or who trust their doctors" are thinking of who they are going to blame if somethign goes wrong. Sometimes there is just too much to know.  Some women may not have the time to become "experts".  Even with their own childbirth. 


yeahthat.gif

 

I thought I had educated myself well and was ready for child birth. HA! With the wisdom of hindsight (and a lot of harsh lessons learned through my 33-hour labor and eventual c-section), I realize how little I really knew or understood about this amazingly complex thing that is called "birth." I feel like I could keep reading & learning & hearing stories for the rest of my life, and I still wouldn't know everything there is to know about the great variety of ways that women bring their babies into the world.

 

We all have to put our trust in something as we journey from pregnancy to motherhood, and some choose to put that trust in their doctors. Sometimes that trust is misplaced; sometimes it's not. Some of us suffer on the road to motherhood; I wish it could be otherwise.

 

Some women are thrilled to be pregnant, ready to embrace all the challenges & responsibilities of that journey, and have access to great support and resources that help them feel confident and joyful every step of the way. Some women are terrified to be pregnant, feel overwhelmed by the challenges & responsibilities that they face, and don't have the support or the resources to manifest an ideal outcome. I would guess that most of us fit somewhere in between those extremes.


Living in Wisconsin with my partner of 20+ years and our DDenergy.gif(Born 10/09/08 ribboncesarean.gif). Why CI Mama? Because I love contact improvisation!

CI Mama is offline  
#10 of 115 Old 01-20-2011, 02:04 PM
 
jeminijad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 896
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by limette View Post

As someone who researches every decision I make (sometimes for years) it bothers me when people are willfully ignorant. Bringing a child into the world is the most important thing a person can do. To be so blase about it and let someone else make all the decisions about it is insane to me.



"Willfully ignorant" does not seem to be the appropriate term for someone who has employed a professional deemed by society to be qualified to attend her birth. Neither does the blanket statement that bringing a child into the world is "the most" important thing a person can do. People can drastically change the world for good, in ways many would judge more impactful than childbearing- childless people, even!

 

Birth seems incredibly important to you. Do not make the mistake of deciding that others are lesser because they have different priorities, or have done the same reading you have and came to different conclusions (the boat I am in.)


Mother to R- 2/09, & C- 5/11

jeminijad is offline  
#11 of 115 Old 01-20-2011, 02:40 PM
 
MegBoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 2,063
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmiranda View Post

I always get frustrated at those stories too, and I repeat, "not my baby, not my birth" like a mantra.  I guess over time I have come to terms with the fact that most women do not care about birth the way the women on this board do.  It's just not something they care to focus on (or don't have time, or whatever).  There is nothing that we can do about it except maybe try to plant a small seed of doubt and hope they follow up on it.  Most won't, but a few might.  What's too bad is that after that first section, the rest of a woman's reproductive life can be complicated by her not having cared the first time around.


I wish I could come to terms with it too. It makes me furious to think that so many of these women are going to be ABUSED** by their care providers. I have a hard time standing idly by while innocent, trusting people are likely to be physically & mentally abused by people they put their trust into - people who SHOULD be caring for them & putting their well-being as first priority, people who SHOULD be focused on "first, do no harm." I have a hard time zipping my lip and just thinking, "not my baby, not my birth." But I know that's what I SHOULD do - it's just a big struggle for me.

 

"Plant a small seed of doubt" is a good way to phrase it. & I do try to do that with people who don't seem to want to talk about it.

 

But the other thing that makes me just crazy is that so often, these women sincerely believe and tell others things like:

"Oh, I just never dilated. I NEEDED that CS. I just didn't/couldn't dilate."

"Oh my baby was seriously in distress! The doc saved us with that CS! My baby would have died had I not had that OB to save him."

"I just never would have gone into labor. My body just wasn't working."

"I just don't have a large enough pelvis. Baby never would have fit."

 

etc.

& they tell others these things and it just perpetuates the existing American belief that birth is horribly dangerous, our bodies are dreadfully flawed, and birth requires medical "management" by OBs in hospital (and... therefore... you are insane for making the reckless decision to risk your baby's life by birthing at home.)

 

Soooo - that kinda irritates me too about this whole situation.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by limette View Post

As someone who researches every decision I make (sometimes for years) it bothers me when people are willfully ignorant. Bringing a child into the world is the most important thing a person can do. To be so blase about it and let someone else make all the decisions about it is insane to me.


I think there's a big difference between someone who is "Willfully ignorant" & someone who just doesn't know what they don't know. For example, I've read other mama's here on MDC mention that with their 1st babies, they read books... but things like "What to expect" & just never realized how detrimental "medicalized" CB is. They DID attempt to educate themselves, maybe with the free hospital-based CB class, etc. but they never realized that they need to dig deeper & question their docs.


Then, on the other hand, you have women who ARE exposed to "the painful truth about American maternity care" (subtitle of the excellent book "Pushed") & still don't want to bother to get educated & make their own decisions. So THAT does bother me.

 

**For the record - I consider the following types of things "abusive" - for low risk mothers that is (I know cEFM can be good in some cases)

  • Denying food & water in labor
  • unnecessary induction - particularly OBs presenting it as very low-risk & just for convenience, or insisting even first-timers are induced for being 'overdue' at 41W!! (When actual average for first-timers is 41W1D.)
  • Unnecessarily 'pushing' things along with AROM, pit
  • unnecessary episiotomy
  • Denying a laboring woman freedom of movement (via cEFM without telemetry) & access to hydrotherapy
  • Needless separation of mama & baby
  • CS for "suspected fetal macrosomia" (NOT recommended by ACOG, but done anyway)
  • CS for FTP when baby is fine & not that much time has passed (a mama I just met said with her 1st she was forced into a CS despite refusing to sign the consent form after only 14 hours.)

 

Those are the types of things I'm calling "abusive" but that happen every day & it makes me nuts.

rebecca_n likes this.
MegBoz is offline  
#12 of 115 Old 01-20-2011, 04:09 PM
 
Tumble Bumbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 741
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I agree that women need to take control over their own bodies. I get that sometimes a 'professional's' opinion is needed and maybe even right, but we aren't talking about the women who research and read, ask questions, ask for second opinions, take a couple days to think about something before a decision is made, then make the one they feel is in their best interest and their baby's best interest. We are talking about women who's doctors say X and they just do it because well, the doctor said so and 'doctor knows best'. Yeah, that's annoying. I remember one of the contributors in The Business of Being Born saying [paraphrased] that people research their cars, stereos, cell phones for weeks or months before committing to a decision, but yet don't know the first thing about the interventions and procedures they agree to every day. It's so sad.

 

I understand your feelings,  OP. I've known several women like the woman you describe and I can't lie, it's so upsetting. I feel terrible when they have completely unnecessary c-sections for things like "the doctor said my pelvis was too small" (after having delivered vaginally before), or for failed inductions before the baby was even full-term, or "failure to progress" when babe was in no distress at all and the labor wasn't even outside the realm of normal...etc and so on...

 

The only thing you can do is detach yourself emotionally from these situations while also gently educating within the framework of your own experience so as not to seem like you're judging or lecturing. Otherwise, it could eat you up inside if you let it.


Grace-based wife & mama to 2 unschoolers! One & . We live simply & mindfully. Expecting another blessing Feb 2015 Praying for another
Tumble Bumbles is online now  
#13 of 115 Old 01-20-2011, 04:21 PM
 
philomom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 9,261
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I think for some women birth is just the price you have to pay for being someone's mom. I've heard  college educated women tell me that they didn't even want to be at their own babies' births. I realize it is very sad, but there's little you can do except gush to folks how amazing your own births were.

 

 

There was one moment in my third birth where my son's heart rate dropped and the hospital nurse freaked out and tried to call "the alarm" for an emergency c-section. My midwife, who knew me and had been with me birthing before just sidled up to me and said very quietly "if you feel like pushing, now would be a good time". She managed to stall the hospital nurse.. ..I found a bar on the end of the bed that I grabbed onto and continued to standing. The midwife unrolled a sterile sheet.. sat on the floor next to me and caught my babe in three pushes. He pinked up and had perfect Apgars of nine and then ten, five minutes later. Never a clue as to what cutting me open would have "saved" him from.

hippymama23 likes this.
philomom is offline  
#14 of 115 Old 01-20-2011, 04:31 PM
 
ASusan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Midwest
Posts: 4,839
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So, if you were an educator or a public health worker or someone who could design a PSA, what would you do?


DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

ASusan is offline  
#15 of 115 Old 01-20-2011, 04:42 PM
 
Bokonon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: San Diego
Posts: 2,948
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by MegBoz View Post

 

 

But the other thing that makes me just crazy is that so often, these women sincerely believe and tell others things like:

"Oh, I just never dilated. I NEEDED that CS. I just didn't/couldn't dilate."

"Oh my baby was seriously in distress! The doc saved us with that CS! My baby would have died had I not had that OB to save him."

"I just never would have gone into labor. My body just wasn't working."

"I just don't have a large enough pelvis. Baby never would have fit."

 

etc.



It's awfully presumptuous of you to judge these women and their stories without having been there, and to assume that you know more than they do.

 

I was one of those that NEEDED a c/s.  I had severe preeclampsia and my doctors felt there wasn't enough time for me to be induced.  I was 32 weeks, not dilated in the least, and never had a contraction.  My baby wasn't tolerating my condition well, and neither was I.  His Apgars were 1 and 8.

 

I had to trust my doctors.  It wasn't at all appropriate to second-guess the perinatologist and demand to be inducted instead of sectioned.  I do believe that.  I was educated.  I knew that I wanted to avoid a c-section if at all possible.  But I also wanted to have a living baby.


A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
Bokonon is offline  
#16 of 115 Old 01-20-2011, 06:33 PM
 
lsmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 127
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I think this is a really complicated issue.  With my first, my midwife did an amazing job with a complicated delivery and a severe shoulder dystocia.  In the 3 years since, I have researched and researched shoulder dystocia, the risks associated with it, and the likelihood of recurrence.  My midwife is cautiously optimistic about my ability to deliver this baby vaginally.  At first, this ambiguity drove me crazy.  Ultimately, however, I've made my peace with the fact that I cannot predict how things will go.  Frankly, I'm not sure any of us can.  For those of us who choose to hire professionals to assist us, I think at a certain point we do have to trust those we hire and, if we don't, we need to seek other opinions.  At the end of it all, yes I do have strong feelings about birth, but I don't necessarily value my strong feelings and philosophy over the wisdom and experience that my midwife has gained from delivering 500 babies.

aja-belly likes this.
lsmama is offline  
#17 of 115 Old 01-20-2011, 11:46 PM
 
starrlamia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 533
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokonon View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by MegBoz View Post

 

 

But the other thing that makes me just crazy is that so often, these women sincerely believe and tell others things like:

"Oh, I just never dilated. I NEEDED that CS. I just didn't/couldn't dilate."

"Oh my baby was seriously in distress! The doc saved us with that CS! My baby would have died had I not had that OB to save him."

"I just never would have gone into labor. My body just wasn't working."

"I just don't have a large enough pelvis. Baby never would have fit."

 

etc.



It's awfully presumptuous of you to judge these women and their stories without having been there, and to assume that you know more than they do.

 

I was one of those that NEEDED a c/s.  I had severe preeclampsia and my doctors felt there wasn't enough time for me to be induced.  I was 32 weeks, not dilated in the least, and never had a contraction.  My baby wasn't tolerating my condition well, and neither was I.  His Apgars were 1 and 8.

 

I had to trust my doctors.  It wasn't at all appropriate to second-guess the perinatologist and demand to be inducted instead of sectioned.  I do believe that.  I was educated.  I knew that I wanted to avoid a c-section if at all possible.  But I also wanted to have a living baby.



 There is a huge difference from pre-e and the items listed above, which are commonly heard and used as excuses for interventions. The sad fact is that a lot of women are not aware of the birth process or how their bodies work (this is why i first started reading about birth, even though I have no plans for children), it is also a sad fact that obstetricians dont always fully inform or educate the women they treat, both IMO are caused by our current society. Slowly we are changing that!


Aspiring Midwife applying to University for fall 2011!
starrlamia is offline  
#18 of 115 Old 01-21-2011, 05:21 AM
 
mncowmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'll just add a little something.  I'm a researcher by nature, so I knew what was happening throughout my pregnancy, I was very in-tune to everything.

 

BUT, I wrongfully assumed because of my trusting/following nature that doctors always did what was in your best interests.  Even during the induction and subsiquent c-sec I still felt that way.  It wasn't till I was ready to have #2 that I started to do my research on labor and delivery and found out that the doctors did not have my best interests at heart.

 

I have a friend now that's due 5 days before me and she's me during my first pregnancy.  I make sure to gently inform her what I've learned over the last couple of years, but she's pretty much oblivious.

 

I wasn't taking the "easy" way out or just letting someone else make the decisions for me.  I was not ignorant or lazy, I just was too trusting.  It's hard to remember that we can't judge other people decisions till we've been in their shoes.

aja-belly likes this.
mncowmom is offline  
#19 of 115 Old 01-21-2011, 05:45 AM
 
Bellabaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Gex, France
Posts: 826
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

The route of the issues brought up here is that our society sees doctors as GODS who can do no wrong, make no mistakes, have no prejudices. Who we have to listen to because they know best. Who are the authority. And when a patients questions something, even in a respectful gentle way, they are ofen responded to in a defensive or "how dare you question me" tone. It also is the result of the extemely saddening lack of education girls and women recieve about their own bodies.


Mamma to dd1 3/8/07, one 9.5.08, and dd2 9/9/09
Bellabaz is offline  
#20 of 115 Old 01-21-2011, 07:28 AM
 
akmbloom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 335
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

"Willful ignorance" might also be partly due to fear.  On MDC I've learned a lot about possible complications and problems people go through with their births just by casually reading threads and then looking stuff up, and learned about some of these before my 1st daughter was born - and lots of them are scary as hell!  I can imagine that many people just don't even want to think about what their options might be in case of some scary complications, and in the face of thinking about problems, would just prefer to believe that the doctors would do what is best for them.  Being scared can shut you right down, sometimes.  This is probably only even more the case with people who don't usually question authority...

 

Also - as the previous poster who mentioned shoulder dystocia mentioned - I had complications that I really hadn't foreseen with DD1, although I took a "women's bodies/sexuality/reproduction" class in the women's studies department at my undergrad and was pretty aware of the unnecessary medicalization of birth and the possibility of a cascade of interventions.  I've since researched the complications that I did have and know what I would've done differently in that situation, and I've done my best to plan for contingencies as I make a birth plan for this upcoming baby, but there are probably situations I haven't considered and might have to decide whether to trust the MWs about pretty quickly.  I think that the unpredictable nature of birth is a big part of the fear factor too.

 

Although of course we all hope for an uncomplicated, relatively pleasant birth experience!  And doing research, questioning the norms, and listening to your own body/intuition is a big part of helping that to happen.

akmbloom is offline  
#21 of 115 Old 01-21-2011, 09:50 AM
 
CBEmomma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: MN/IA
Posts: 211
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I also research a lot, it's just in my nature. I thought I could trust my first care provider, but in the end I realized that I was just another routine day and nothing more. I think that many women just rather do whatever their Doctor says and get labor over with. People always think I'm crazy for saying that I loved my second labor and can't wait to do it again. At the end of the day we're all different.


~Attatchment and Natural Parent from instincts not from books to my 2 boys~ Childbirth Educator & Placental Encapsulation Professional
homeschool.gif familybed2.gif homebirth.jpgribbonpb.gif
CBEmomma is offline  
#22 of 115 Old 01-21-2011, 11:13 AM
 
MegBoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 2,063
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokonon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegBoz View Post

 

But the other thing that makes me just crazy is that so often, these women sincerely believe and tell others things like:

"Oh, I just never dilated. I NEEDED that CS. I just didn't/couldn't dilate."

"Oh my baby was seriously in distress! The doc saved us with that CS! My baby would have died had I not had that OB to save him."

"I just never would have gone into labor. My body just wasn't working."

"I just don't have a large enough pelvis. Baby never would have fit."

 

etc.

 

It's awfully presumptuous of you to judge these women and their stories without having been there, and to assume that you know more than they do.


I grow weary of this particular discussion here on MDC. Seems to pop up often.


YES.. there ARE cases undoubtedly cases where a CS saved a baby's life. No question there!

 

But the fact of the matter is that there are many CS being done unnecessarily. I mean really, does anyone here actually doubt that??!? Sure, we can't pin point WHICH CS are the unnecessary ones - and we shouldn't TRY to do so - we shouldn't try to "armchair quarterback" someone's birth after the fact and say, "Hm, no, I think that fetal distress was iatrogenic." What good does that do anyone???


I'm not talking about "these women" as you put it --I had no specific people in mind-- I'm talking in generalities here. There are lots of women going around telling others that the medical establishment "saved" them & their baby from a pathological birth process that would otherwise have been deadly - & THAT IS NOT THE TRUTH IN EVERY CASE. Again, it absolutely IS the truth in many cases, but it is not ALWAYS the truth.

 

Let me restate this same point yet again - we can't know WHICH women are victims of iatrogenic, unnecessary CS, nor should we TRY to make that judgment. But Iatrogenic, unnecessary CS exist - and most women who were victims of said "unnecessarians" don't know they were victims of unnecessarians - they think the CS was necessary.

 

With the WHO (World Health Organization) stating that the CS rate should be 10-15% MAX in any population, and the US rate being more than double that at around 33%, AND there not being many purely non-medical- maternal-request CS (which means the vast majority of CS are because the doc says "this is what is best/ required") WHAT ELSE CAN IT POSSIBLY MEAN other than Docs are telling lots of women they need/ needed a CS who actually did not?! (or would not have needed the CS if it weren't for the other interventions that caused the cascade.)

 

So, let's recap again:

  1. There are women having CS who did not need the CS (if you disagree that this is fact, then you disagree with WHO)
  2. The doc convinced them they DID need it (or they did need it only because it was iatrogenic - doctor caused)
  3. ----> THEREFORE - there are some American women who think they needed a CS when they really didn't (or wouldn't have)
  4. They go telling people they needed a CS (i.e. "The Doc saved me from this dangerous thing called birth that would have killed my baby otherwise.")
  5. Other women who don't know "the painful truth about American maternity care" keep hearing these stories and it reinforces the message, "BIRTH IS DANGEROUS! So just trust your doctor! You wouldn't try to figure out how to do heart surgery --you'd trust the surgeon to know what he was doing-- so you should just trust the OB to manage things with birth too."

 

Any time I meet someone who had a CS, obviously I don't know if it was truly necessary or not, but I still argue that the above 4 step process is occurring in the US today & this process only reinforces the existing believe that birth is dangerous & you should trust your doc (i.e. 'YOU ARE NOT QUALIFIED, DEAR" - as they say in the famous Monty Python "PING" sketch.)

 

Now, the message I'm trying to convey in this particular post - I thought it would have been clear in my initial post #11 - my posts are WAY too long already for me to always hash this all out!

MegBoz is offline  
#23 of 115 Old 01-21-2011, 11:25 AM
 
plantnerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: nc
Posts: 415
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Some women see no big deal in inductions and c-sections, so to them, they are not a big deal.  To some, going natural is absolutely insane and unecessary.  Not your birth, don't judge.

 

And honestly, birth can be dangerous, very dangerous.  It's not all sunshine and rainbows like so many people like to believe.

liz-hippymom and swede like this.
plantnerd is offline  
#24 of 115 Old 01-21-2011, 11:28 AM
 
MegBoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 2,063
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASusan View Post

So, if you were an educator or a public health worker or someone who could design a PSA, what would you do?


An excellent Q. From an advertising perspective, if I were to design an advertisement (& I am in marketing full time), you need to follow the guidelines: "Interrupt, Engage, Educate, & Offer."

To interrupt (grab attention) I'd start with, "You CAN NOT TRUST your OB." Maybe with an image of a wolf in a doc's lab coat (i.e. "wolf in sheep's clothing.") Something deliberately controversial to grab attention & generate interest. This also elicits fear, which is a good advertising concept to get attention & get interest so people read the ad.

It sounds horrible but that is the fact of the matter. American women can't blindly trust their HCPs because American maternity care providers are, on the whole, not practicing evidence-based medicine. I'd say "OB" in the ad b/c that really is synonymous with "maternity care provider" in the US. & the fact is that I believe it's still 91% of births that are attended by OBs.

 

Then, to educate & offer, I'd suggest resources like movies BoBB, Orgasmic Birth, & books like Pushed, Thinking Woman's Guide. or maybe if it were a local ad (billboard, local TV only), I'd direct them to local resources like LLL & ICAN meetings, Baltimore has 2 local "birth circles," or websites that are good at summing up facts like childbirth connection, etc.

 

My MW has a bumper sticker in her office that says, "BIRTH IS NORMAL! The biggest secret in American obstetrics." I like this phrase too, but it doesn't elicit FEAR the way "You CAN NOT TRUST your OB" does - it doesn't give a WARNING the way that phrase does to entice people to TAKE ACTION in order to question what they're told & get educated to advocate for themselves & ensure they get evidence-based medicine.

 

So if I were to design a PSA, that's my knee-jerk reaction.


INSTEAD - what I really think would be great steps for improving America's dreadful maternity care:

1. changes in insurance (better FSBC & HB coverage, coverage for tub rentals, not allowing docs to bill extra fees for vaginal exams in late pregnancy, etc. - change things so that money will drive best practices.

 

2. Changes in medical care (even just shift-work is found to lower the CS rate, so docs have zero incentive to 'section' a woman before going home, since they're paid the same whether they are present for the actual delivery or not.)

 

3. Cultural changes.

I'd love to start "birth story day" where we go tell birth stories in high schools. The only exposure I had to birth before getting pregnant was the typical stuff- stupid movies, the birth movie in high school which I think was intended to be gross & awful to discourage sexual activity, etc. I'd NEVER EVEN HEARD OF THE CONCEPT of birth as being joyful (even if still painful.) It was a totally foreign idea to me, & that is sad! I think that should have been addressed in high school health class. It's a start.

MegBoz is offline  
#25 of 115 Old 01-21-2011, 11:33 AM
Banned
 
stik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,860
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

The WHO rescinded their recommendations for c-section rates last year.  The ideal at this point is not to hit a target number, but to provide surgery for women who need it and reduce maternal/infant mortality rates.  Which makes sense, honestly, as there were plenty of ways for nations to hit the c-section "target" without providing anything like adequate healthcare infrastructure for pregnant women and newborns.   

 

Not every woman in the world wants to share her pregnancy and birth decisions with every other woman in the world.  Many women view these matters as intensely private.  There's no good reason to walk the earth questioning other women's choices for pregnancy and birth.  In a perfect world where women have every possible option open to them, a lot of women might still make choices that other people disapprove of.  

lach, Lucy Alden and swede like this.
stik is offline  
#26 of 115 Old 01-21-2011, 03:04 PM
 
WildKingdom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 667
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by MegBoz View Post

 

An excellent Q. From an advertising perspective, if I were to design an advertisement (& I am in marketing full time), you need to follow the guidelines: "Interrupt, Engage, Educate, & Offer."

To interrupt (grab attention) I'd start with, "You CAN NOT TRUST your OB." Maybe with an image of a wolf in a doc's lab coat (i.e. "wolf in sheep's clothing.") Something deliberately controversial to grab attention & generate interest. This also elicits fear, which is a good advertising concept to get attention & get interest so people read the ad.
 


I'm a doctor.  Words can not describe how offensive I find this.

Ammaarah and swede like this.
WildKingdom is offline  
#27 of 115 Old 01-21-2011, 03:29 PM
 
Bokonon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: San Diego
Posts: 2,948
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by MegBoz View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokonon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegBoz View Post

 

But the other thing that makes me just crazy is that so often, these women sincerely believe and tell others things like:

"Oh, I just never dilated. I NEEDED that CS. I just didn't/couldn't dilate."

"Oh my baby was seriously in distress! The doc saved us with that CS! My baby would have died had I not had that OB to save him."

"I just never would have gone into labor. My body just wasn't working."

"I just don't have a large enough pelvis. Baby never would have fit."

 

etc.

 

It's awfully presumptuous of you to judge these women and their stories without having been there, and to assume that you know more than they do.


I grow weary of this particular discussion here on MDC. Seems to pop up often.


YES.. there ARE cases undoubtedly cases where a CS saved a baby's life. No question there!

 

But the fact of the matter is that there are many CS being done unnecessarily. I mean really, does anyone here actually doubt that??!? Sure, we can't pin point WHICH CS are the unnecessary ones - and we shouldn't TRY to do so - we shouldn't try to "armchair quarterback" someone's birth after the fact and say, "Hm, no, I think that fetal distress was iatrogenic." What good does that do anyone???


I'm not talking about "these women" as you put it --I had no specific people in mind-- I'm talking in generalities here. There are lots of women going around telling others that the medical establishment "saved" them & their baby from a pathological birth process that would otherwise have been deadly - & THAT IS NOT THE TRUTH IN EVERY CASE. Again, it absolutely IS the truth in many cases, but it is not ALWAYS the truth.

 

Let me restate this same point yet again - we can't know WHICH women are victims of iatrogenic, unnecessary CS, nor should we TRY to make that judgment. But Iatrogenic, unnecessary CS exist - and most women who were victims of said "unnecessarians" don't know they were victims of unnecessarians - they think the CS was necessary.

 

With the WHO (World Health Organization) stating that the CS rate should be 10-15% MAX in any population, and the US rate being more than double that at around 33%, AND there not being many purely non-medical- maternal-request CS (which means the vast majority of CS are because the doc says "this is what is best/ required") WHAT ELSE CAN IT POSSIBLY MEAN other than Docs are telling lots of women they need/ needed a CS who actually did not?! (or would not have needed the CS if it weren't for the other interventions that caused the cascade.)

 

So, let's recap again:

  1. There are women having CS who did not need the CS (if you disagree that this is fact, then you disagree with WHO)
  2. The doc convinced them they DID need it (or they did need it only because it was iatrogenic - doctor caused)
  3. ----> THEREFORE - there are some American women who think they needed a CS when they really didn't (or wouldn't have)
  4. They go telling people they needed a CS (i.e. "The Doc saved me from this dangerous thing called birth that would have killed my baby otherwise.")
  5. Other women who don't know "the painful truth about American maternity care" keep hearing these stories and it reinforces the message, "BIRTH IS DANGEROUS! So just trust your doctor! You wouldn't try to figure out how to do heart surgery --you'd trust the surgeon to know what he was doing-- so you should just trust the OB to manage things with birth too."

 

Any time I meet someone who had a CS, obviously I don't know if it was truly necessary or not, but I still argue that the above 4 step process is occurring in the US today & this process only reinforces the existing believe that birth is dangerous & you should trust your doc (i.e. 'YOU ARE NOT QUALIFIED, DEAR" - as they say in the famous Monty Python "PING" sketch.)

 

Now, the message I'm trying to convey in this particular post - I thought it would have been clear in my initial post #11 - my posts are WAY too long already for me to always hash this all out!



I am aware of all that - and you should note that in your original post, you used the term "these women".  It was how you put it, and I was using your words.


A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
Bokonon is offline  
#28 of 115 Old 01-21-2011, 05:02 PM
 
liz-hippymom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: deep in the heart of texas!
Posts: 1,218
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

we cant know which woman were given an "unnecessary" c section because those c section babies are alive and kicking. while babies like my daughter are buried in the ground.

 

some people wish to God they had had a c section


mdcblog5.gif   Liz mama to DS 10, DSS 9, DD 6, DS 3, DD 2 , Aquila- dec 19th 2009 died at my homebirth, and....welcome Willow born 9-16-10 (9 weeks early)  nut.gif
liz-hippymom is offline  
#29 of 115 Old 01-21-2011, 05:32 PM
 
WildKingdom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 667
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by liz-hippymom View Post

we cant know which woman were given an "unnecessary" c section because those c section babies are alive and kicking. while babies like my daughter are buried in the ground.

 

some people wish to God they had had a c section



Liz- I just went to your blog and watched the video you posted today.  I am in tears.  My heart breaks for you and your beautiful family.  

WildKingdom is offline  
#30 of 115 Old 01-21-2011, 05:54 PM
 
hippymama23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I think mothers need to be gentle with each other - to be a mother is an intense job and there is too much judgement. Mothers judge themselves so harshly as it is.  Mothers do not need others mothers judging them. People do the best they can with the cards they're dealt.  I think that some of the comments on here are finger pointing and guilt inducing.  There is already enough mom guilt inside the  heart of every mom, let alone more mom guilt that you didn't birth your baby right.  I understand about getting educated and doing the research.  I was overwhelmed with the whole pregnancy and information overload.  There are a lot of books out there that are pretty THICK and in a language that is very formal and difficult to understand. I was also very lucky to have had a doctor that a dear friend of mine suggested, who is a home birth advocate.  I had gest. diabetes and was told that I would have to be induced if I did not go into labor by the due date.  I hated it.  I cried the whole way to the hospital and felt like I was forcing my son out of the womb and changing his celestial birth date. I was very close to going home. But I trusted my doctor when he said that he has seen too many still born babies in women with GD.  He has birthed 10,000 babies so I felt comfortable with him.  He was also a very gentle man and he and his family are very natural. 

 

I had an epideral too.  And you know what, I admit it proudly.  I wish I could be brave like you amazing women that birth your babies at home, without pain meds, but I am not there yet.  Please don't judge me or any mother.  You just have no idea what is going on in their head or body.

memomuse

namaste.gif

hippymama23 is offline  
Reply

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off