Could people share their positive hospital birth stories. - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 47 Old 01-30-2011, 06:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I felt like you during my entire last pregnancy.  My first birth was a hospital birth augmented with pitocin and I had an epidural.  Everything went just fine, but after the birth when I analyzed it, I felt cheated out of a normal birth and sad that I didn't stick up for myself.  So when I got pg again I was dissapointed to find out that my options were a UC 40 mins away from a hospital, or hospital birth.  So I decided to minimalize my contact with Dr.s as much as possible and did 99% of my own prenatal care, and only saw a doc for appointments for ultrasound and blood test, the whole while planning to birth in a hospital.  I ended up being "overdue" and showed up at the hospital at almost 42 weeks for a NST, where all the nurses thought I was cool and the Dr. wasn't impressed with me (I had taken a copy of my chart when I left her care and started keeping my own records on it haha), but didn't do too much to get in the way of my plans.  Anyways, I ended up consenting to a membrane sweep and went into labor about half an hour later on the ride home.  I'll post a link to my birth story for you to read if you like, but suffice to say it was a fantastic, empowering hospital experience for me.  The worst part aside from the PAIN was staying in the hospital for 24 hours after the birth...but even that wasn't too bad.  I am all for natural birth at home, but the reality is that many of us, for whatever reason, just don't have that option and I think it is really important to talk about hospital birth and what we can do to make it positive.  My feelings have changed towards hospital birth.  I'm not scared of it anymore.  Sure there are horror stories out there, and my birth didn't go 100% as I wanted it (I had to compromise a few times), but I'd imagine that happens with homebirth too.  I think my first birth would have gone a lot better if I had been more informed and not just along for the ride.  If I ever get pg again, I would seriously consider hospital birth even if homebirth was an option.  When I think back to my dd's hospital birth I have this really great feeling in my heart about it, and the nurses to took care of me while I was laboring.  The Dr. was a PITA, but I knew that from the 2 prenatal visits I had with her, and was just hoping she wouldn't be on call when I went into labor, but even with her around (the few minutes she was around during my labor/delivery) I still had a good hospital experience.http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/1277605/my-up-planned-hospital-birth

caffix.gif

#32 of 47 Old 01-30-2011, 05:53 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Two births with the same nurse-midwife in the same small town hospital, and I was happy with both of them.  My second didn't show up until 42+1, and while they expressed concern, they were on board with my decision to wait for natural labor.  I was group B strep +, and did opt to get the antibiotics, but they wouldn't have given me any hassle if I'd chosen not to (I agonized over that one a lot).  I could get in the tub when I wanted to, and wander around where I liked, and be in whatever position I felt like.  Outside of emergency situations, everything they brought up was phrased as a recommendation rather than an order, and the midwife spelled out the pluses and minuses of the proposed intervention.  Didn't have any pain meds with either child.  With my second I had about 10 min of pitocin when I was almost 10cm, but then it was turned off. 

The only things I didn't have control over happened right at birth with both kids.  First one was purple/blue when he came out, and got his cord quickly cut and was whisked away (just a few feet away) for a little oxygen.  He was fine.  Second one got her shoulders stuck (shoulder dystocia) on the way out, and midwife had to manipulate her and yell at me to push.  She was fine too.  I don't know if this was the only way to handle things, but they seemed like real enough emergencies that it didn't bug me. 

After birth, I got to nurse baby right away for as long as I wanted, nothing was pushed on us, and baby stayed in the room for everything except the hearing test (I went with her then).  They didn't mind me leaving <12 hrs later.

#33 of 47 Old 01-31-2011, 05:18 PM

My last hospital birth went great.  I was only in labor in the hospital for 4 hours.  I had a doula that called ahead and got me out of having to visit triage.  (My contractions were < 5 min apart for over a couple hours before I got there).  I labored naturally.  They did periodic monitoring on me, but the monitor kept sliding off me but no one was too concerned.  I labored in the shower for awhile too.  One of the nurses actually checked me while I was in the shower so I didn't have to come out.  (My doula was concerned I was almost fully dialated, she didn't want me to give birth in the shower).  No one ever asked me about pain meds, or suggested my water be broken.  It actually didn't break until I started pushing.  I actually didn't even have monitors on me while I was pushing.  Everyone just waited for me to tell them when I had a contraction.  I actually remember everyone waiting for what seemed like forever.  (apparently I had a long rest period between contractions prior to my pushing).

First birth was ok, but not ideal. (I won't go into the details since you're looking for positive stories).  However, I attribute it to getting to the hospital way too early.  (I think subconsciencely I thought, the sooner I get to the hospital, the sooner my baby will be here.  Not true.)  

Anyway, you can definitely have a positive experience in a hospital.  But my advice would be to wait as long as possible before going to it. :) 

#34 of 47 Old 01-31-2011, 06:05 PM

I just posted mine!

http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/1295270/liam-s-hospital-respectful-birth-but-ow

~ Mum to Emily, March 12-16 2004, Noah, born Aug 2005, Liam, born January 2011, and wife to Carl since 1994. ~
#35 of 47 Old 01-31-2011, 07:31 PM

I had a fabulous hospital VBAC.  Was 41+2 when I had my daughter.  It was a completely natural birth -everyone was great about leaving me alone to let my body do its thing.  They followed my birth plan to the letter -- delayed cord clamping, let me *catch my own baby* (awesome!!!), did all routine tests with my daughter laying on my chest skin to skin, etc.  I couldn't have been more thrilled.   This birth was actually with a family practice doctor, who is now both my and my daughter's doctor.  The blow-by-blow birth story is here

Mom to James (ribboncesarean.gif 5/2006), Claire (vbac.gif 6/2008), furry kitties Calvin and Bob, and wife to Dennis. 

#36 of 47 Old 02-02-2011, 06:13 PM

I had two great hospital births. First birth with midwives was 19 hours of back labor and 2 1/2 hours of pushing -- the nurse and midwife were completely supportive the whole time and were completely respectful of my birth preferences. The nurse was so wonderful when she needed to get the fetal heartbeat she would come find me where ever I was so I never had to wear the belt -- she was wonderful in so many ways. The second labor started with a water-break and the midwife suggested pit since I wasn't in labor. Again, she was completely respectful when I declined. I went into labor on my own and had the baby within a few hours with no interventions -- not even a cervical check. I had several hours of skin to skin contact before the nurse did the newborn procedures and bath in the my room with my husband helping out. My baby never left my side during the hospital stay. Both births were wonderful. I had no IV, no continuous monitoring, had access to a shower (which I used during my first labor), had a quiet, dimly lit room with only my nurse and my midwife attending -- and the best part is I never had to fight for a thing. I have thought about homebirth if I have a 3rd, but honestly my hospital experiences have been so great that I'm not totally sold on it.

#37 of 47 Old 02-03-2011, 08:13 PM

Ive had three hospital births...the first I wont get into because it was actually not very good...BUT the second was very good with pit even (they slowly turned it up so it doesn't hit like a train and I actually preferred the progression to my first go around with my oldest). My water broke and labor never started..I went 36 hours IN the hospital before they discussed induction with me..by that time I was so swollen from constant leaking pit was a welcome idea. I went with an epidural but on hindsight was just hitting transition so it probably really wasn't necc.

by the third time I learned to stay calm and be assertive w/o being challening, my water broke again with nothing happening aside from 12 hours of uncoordinated contractions that did nothing to dialate me..this go around I asked for pit about 14 hrs in...I also asked for a walking epidural and you know what?? I could actually walk! I even felt her body go through my pelvis and felt pushy all without anything that could be described as pain.

same as someone else mentioned about the nurses some sucked some were really awesome...the first dr that delivered my oldest was a real jerk (female even) the next two drs(male)  were very nice...

no one asked me not to squat with the epis even...and with the third I was allowed out of bed

I wasn't catheterized...no one restricted my movement...no one was patronizing...and no tearing or episiotomies with the last two...when i was aksed to pause in pushing with the third the dr actually voiced "hold ona sec, try not to push, I dont want you to tear"

delayed cord cutting with both the last two and I would say breast feeding was downright pushed on me with my last

you really just have to state what you want without being confrontational...more flies with honey kind of a thing...you dont need to explain any decisions youve made you simply have to state them

don't be terrified of the hospital...I promise theyre not there to intentionally make you miserable then eat your baby...ok?

all patients have rights...assert them!

#38 of 47 Old 02-03-2011, 08:16 PM

oh...I also wanted to add...all three of my girls were very pink and alert at birth...matter of fact my first "my all natural birth" daughter was the most tired after birth

#39 of 47 Old 02-05-2011, 05:56 PM

I had a great hospital birth. The staff was kind to me, did no interventions on either me or the baby without my permission, gave me pain medication whenever I asked for it, and was just generally lovely. I found it a very restful, peaceful time, and if I could do it over again I would have stayed another day!

Mommy to eyesroll.gif (age 7) and mischievous.gif (age 3)

#40 of 47 Old 02-06-2011, 05:00 PM

I had a positive hospital birth as well, and am going to have my next baby in the hospital too.  I came in with a birth plan and the nurses completely honored it.  They never offered pain meds and respected my way of birthing.  In fact they left my husband and me alone a lot and were very encouraging when they came in to check on me.  I didn't have to have a IV or hep-loc and was able to move about freely.  My doctor was great as well, and had been encouraging of my birth preferences from the start.

After the labor the staff kept coming by to congratulate us and to say they wanted to meet the momma who did it naturally. :)  This was a hospital where over 85% of the women have epidurals btw!

Semi-crunchy Momma to a 4 year old girl and a baby girl born in July of 2011.

#41 of 47 Old 02-07-2011, 07:57 PM

I'm a doula and have attended MANY wonderful hospital births - just plan carefully and get a doula...you'll be glad you did:)  Seriously, don't go in too early, don't agree to getting induced unless there is a genuine emergency happening, MOVE every 15 min. once you're in the room...even if they have you in bed - just keep moving from side to side.  ASK for a nurse who is supportive of natural birth...and is good at helping that to happen.  DON'T allow anyone in the room who is not supportive all the way.  Have a good birth plan...and hire a doula!!!  Take your red raspberry leaf tea and evening primrose oil...You'll do just fine!!!

Wife to Mark, Momma to Matt & Bryan : Joe & Jonathan - Labor Doula
#42 of 47 Old 02-07-2011, 09:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)

I had a really positive hospital birth experience, but it was pretty intense, and as I run through the story, I'm conscious of how it could come across wrong.  You could use it to play Obstetrical Suckitude Bingo, only it didn't feel that way at the time, and it still doesn't feel that way to me now.

I had an emergency (but not crash) c-section, at the hospital the ambulance was willing to take me to, attended by a doctor who I had only met once before, and the senior OB resident.  Prior to surgery, my paramedics nearly had a fight with the admitting nurse (she didn't get their call, the nurse who did get the call had been clearing a room for me and hadn't passed on the message that NO, I was NOT going to triage).  They put me on the one bed in the four-bed L&D room with broken stirrups and a burnt out light, but they didn't want to move me (besides, the nurses were busy strapping on fetal heart rate monitors, contraction monitors, and running multiple IVs) so the doctors doing a very careful, very gentle, we know if we screw up you sue us type pelvic exam had to ask me to prop my hips up on an inverted bedpan, and then one of them had to stand on a stool behind the other, holding a flashlight.

This was at a world-class hospital, btw.  Stuff happens.

It was nearly midnight.  My husband didn't get there until twenty minutes after I did, approximately thirty seconds before the attending OB stomped in, grousing that if he was awake, someone should go wake the senior resident.  He said "we meet again."  I said "We've got to stop doing this."  He took a look around - at me, at my bloodstained bedroom slippers, at the gurney I was wheeled in on - and said "No kidding," in a tone of voice that suggested that he'd subbed in "kidding" for a much shorter and more obscene word, or possibly two of them.  Then he told me I should have a c-section, and that the OR would be clean and ready in 20 minutes.

Sometimes, in the darkest, awfullest moments of post-partum angst, I have wondered if maybe I should have argued for a delay.  I could have been on the strictest hospital bed rest ever.  They could keep me NPO and I could keep my feet up, they could run a foley catheter and bowel movements are overrated anyway, and we could just get the baby a few more days.  In the light of day, this is clearly crazy.  The attending OB told me that they couldn't keep me pregnant much longer, and said that if we waited for the next crisis, it could be too late.  We can help premature babies in the NICU.  We can't help them when they're bleeding to death in utero.  (For those of you filling in your cards at home, Dead Baby is the free space in the middle.)  Except that he was right.  He was not being alarmist.  I was at that hospital because we called an ambulance because when I stood up, the first gush of blood had hit the floor with an audible splash. 

Whenever possible, they asked me what I wanted, and then they did it, although there were genuinely very few choices available under the circumstances.  Topical anesthesia for the IV insertion?  Oxygen mask or tubes?  Is anyone coming to be with you?  What are their names?  We'll get them to you as fast as we can.   They brought my daughter to me, and they held her where I could see her and kiss her for as long as they could before they needed to take her away and give her lung surfactant.  They wheeled my gurney in to the NICU so I could see her again before they took me to the post-partum floor.

I honestly found the attending's crankiness reassuring.  It probably wouldn't work for everyone, but it was seriously a bad situation, if he could be cranky (about the sleeping senior resident), or fake cranky (about me bleeding all over his L&D unit for the second time in a month), rather than panicked, it was going to be okay.  I cope better when I can indulge in sarcasm, so it was nice of him to start it.

They acknowledged that the situation sucked.  There was no pretending it didn't suck.  No one attempted to cheer me up by saying that the only thing that mattered was the baby (I'd have found that pretty disturbing - a lot of that blood was mine, the baby was not the only person at risk).  They told me that they knew that this wasn't the birth I'd hoped for, but they would do everything they could to take care of us.

They did everything right, and we are all fine.  It's a scary story, but mostly I remember that I felt safe, and that they succeeded in what they told me they would do.

#43 of 47 Old 02-08-2011, 03:31 PM

I had a positive experience. I was afraid my doctor wouldn't be on call so I was happy when my water broke in the middle of the night on Sunday. I figured I would probably give birth later that Monday and my doctor would be there. Nope, I got the hospital, they gave me an epidural, then the on-call doctor checked me for the first time about 2-3 hours after my water had broken and said I was ready to push. To my surprise I really didn't care who the nurse or doctor were anymore and I didn't care that I'd never met them. They were nice, answered my questions, let me know what was happening and I felt comfortable with them.

After I got the epidural I felt absolutely no pain, just a lot of excitement. My baby was born less than four hours after my water broke and they let me hold her immediately after she was born but then took her away to the NICU a few minutes later because she had fluid in her lungs and was turning blue-ish. They said that was not unusual for fast births. She was back with me in about 30 minutes and my husband was with her while she was taken to the NICU. I don't consider that a bad experience, I was just glad they were there to help her. When I was holding her right after she was born I wasn't even aware her color was unhealthy so it was good that the nurses were attentive.

No one pressured me to feed formula, everyone was very supportive and helped me learn to breastfeed. We stayed the full two days because insurance covered it and I was nervous about leaving since I was having some trouble with breastfeeding and I was worried my baby was going to scream inconsolably for colostrum that I wasn't producing enough of and I wouldn't know what to do. Those two days in the hospital with my husband and baby were the best two days of my life, and that is no exaggeration. It was very comfortable there, we got meals that I didn't have to cook, and we were able to just focus on learning how to take care of our newborn. We missed the baby care, childbirth classes and breastfeeding classes at the hospital because I was on bedrest during my pregnancy so having experts around me an extra day was really helpful.

#44 of 47 Old 02-13-2011, 07:59 AM

I love this thread!  I recently decided to go with the hospital instead of home birth this time for insurance/financial reasons, and of course I keep encountering terrible hospital stories left and right, which is not helpful to me at this point.  So I love to read good stories.

I had my first baby in a hospital with midwives, and it was a good experience.  They ordered intermittent monitoring for me and no one ever tried to keep me in or even near the bed after I did an initial 20 minutes on the monitor.  I had a great nurse who enjoyed working with the midwives and loved to see natural childbirth, which was nice.  After the baby was born and they were getting ready to move me to a postpartum room, I realized how loud I had been during pushing and expressed my embarrassment at disturbing everyone.  She was like, "oh, please, I've had moms with epidurals be much louder."  :)

The postpartum stay left a lot to be desired, I will say.  Our first postpartum nurse was great, but the others were pretty callous and totally phoning it in.  The hospital didn't have an LC on staff because "the nurses are trained in breastfeeding support" but in truth they were pretty useless.  I don't think any of this stuff would bother me much the third time around, but for a very emotional first-time mom whose baby was crying a lot, I could have used a bit more compassion and help.  However, I was grateful that I didn't have any trouble declining stuff we didn't want, such as the Hep B vaccination and the bath, and that the on-staff pediatrician was great.  He was of Indian heritage and so was very supportive of not circing, and also didn't suggest supplementation even though DS1 had lost 10% of his birth weight by the time we left the hospital. 

SAHM to Bird (6/07) and Bear (7/09), and now enjoying our newest additionbabyboy.gif, born June 1, 2011!  bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifsigncirc1.gifcd.gif

#45 of 47 Old 02-13-2011, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macy View Post

I had a positive experience. I was afraid my doctor wouldn't be on call so I was happy when my water broke in the middle of the night on Sunday. I figured I would probably give birth later that Monday and my doctor would be there. Nope, I got the hospital, they gave me an epidural, then the on-call doctor checked me for the first time about 2-3 hours after my water had broken and said I was ready to push. To my surprise I really didn't care who the nurse or doctor were anymore and I didn't care that I'd never met them. They were nice, answered my questions, let me know what was happening and I felt comfortable with them.

After I got the epidural I felt absolutely no pain, just a lot of excitement. My baby was born less than four hours after my water broke and they let me hold her immediately after she was born but then took her away to the NICU a few minutes later because she had fluid in her lungs and was turning blue-ish. They said that was not unusual for fast births. She was back with me in about 30 minutes and my husband was with her while she was taken to the NICU. I don't consider that a bad experience, I was just glad they were there to help her. When I was holding her right after she was born I wasn't even aware her color was unhealthy so it was good that the nurses were attentive.

No one pressured me to feed formula, everyone was very supportive and helped me learn to breastfeed. We stayed the full two days because insurance covered it and I was nervous about leaving since I was having some trouble with breastfeeding and I was worried my baby was going to scream inconsolably for colostrum that I wasn't producing enough of and I wouldn't know what to do. Those two days in the hospital with my husband and baby were the best two days of my life, and that is no exaggeration. It was very comfortable there, we got meals that I didn't have to cook, and we were able to just focus on learning how to take care of our newborn. We missed the baby care, childbirth classes and breastfeeding classes at the hospital because I was on bedrest during my pregnancy so having experts around me an extra day was really helpful.

most of this last paragraph is completely my experience with my last birth

I even had a nurse bring us in pastry from my favorite bakery! And the hospitals here tend to have celebratory meals after baby's birth thats totally different from the normal hospital menu (think lobster, steak and vegetarian lasagna).

#46 of 47 Old 02-13-2011, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGVaughn View Post

I even had a nurse bring us in pastry from my favorite bakery! And the hospitals here tend to have celebratory meals after baby's birth thats totally different from the normal hospital menu (think lobster, steak and vegetarian lasagna).

My hospital was the same way.  They had steak and the food came on a tray with flowers and sparkling cider in champagne glasses. :)

Another treat was the chimes they played as we were moved from L&D to post-partum.  It was an announcement to the hospital that a baby had been born.  Just thinking about how wonderful that sounded makes me emotional/teary.  We got to hear them from time to time when we went to the hospital for our natural birth classes, so it was exciting and an accomplishment when it was our turn!

Semi-crunchy Momma to a 4 year old girl and a baby girl born in July of 2011.

#47 of 47 Old 02-13-2011, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tea_time View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGVaughn View Post

My hospital was the same way.  They had steak and the food came on a tray with flowers and sparkling cider in champagne glasses. :)

Another treat was the chimes they played as we were moved from L&D to post-partum.  It was an announcement to the hospital that a baby had been born.  Just thinking about how wonderful that sounded makes me emotional/teary.  We got to hear them from time to time when we went to the hospital for our natural birth classes, so it was exciting and an accomplishment when it was our turn!

I forgot all about the chimes!! One more thing to look forward to :)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page