suddenly breech - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 36 Old 03-30-2004, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I"m looking for folks who have had this experience ( and hopefully a good outcome, ie not a c-section). At 35 weeks I'm suddenly breech. I'm planning a homebirth because it was good last time and because I have a nursing toddler that I do not want to be away from. I have read about positions, visualization and external versioning. Any other good ideas or success stories?

Thanks so much.
Molly
#2 of 36 Old 03-30-2004, 03:32 PM

I'd find a chiropractor who can do the Webster technique asap!

If you do a search here (or in I'm pregnant) for Webster technique I think you will find lots of information.

Good luck!!

~Erin
#3 of 36 Old 03-30-2004, 03:43 PM

There is a position where you lay head down, feet up, on a board leaned up against a sofa. If you are interested, I'll try and find a link. Also i second the chiropractor- it worked for a client of mine to turn a baby. God luck!

Sahm mom to three lovely girls, and happily married to a great, sweet guy
#4 of 36 Old 03-30-2004, 03:57 PM

My baby was transverse from around 30 weeks until 36w4d. He turned down some time in the night before the day we had an ultrasound scheduled to check his position. Then he was born 3 days later at 37 weeks exactly! I worried so much about his position but it all worked out. FWIW, I tried some of the positioning techniques, but I don't think they had an effect. I wasn't aware of when he turned. I just got up on the day of the ultrasound and it was obvious he'd moved during the night.

If I had known about the chiropractic technique I might have tried it.
#5 of 36 Old 03-30-2004, 07:13 PM

Are you doing the incline thing? Music down low? Praying ? Will your mw do breeches?

Moxibustion (moxa sticks) can be very useful for some mamas and babies. It's a Chinese accupuncture (but no needles) technique from what I remember). A doula friend of mine recommends it a lot (and used it w/her own daughter successfully). I also have a friend who had a chiro make a housecall to help her at the last minute.....and it worked!!

Turn, turn, turn

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#6 of 36 Old 03-30-2004, 07:22 PM

I had to do the incline thing 3 times during labor with Joy! I'd stick 3 bed pillows under my butt and lay back.I think spiritual midwifery reccomends 2 times a day for 20 min.In something like 80% of cases the babies will turn!
#7 of 36 Old 03-30-2004, 09:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I had a client whose baby kept flipping in the last month. After some slant board and a trip to the chiropactor, baby went head down!

He was born a week later at 11lbs 9oz in the water.
#8 of 36 Old 03-30-2004, 10:47 PM

Another vote for the Webster technique-I went 4 times at 36 wks, a week later he had turned and is now LOA. (He was transverse, so no way that baby was coming out on his own...plus my pelvic muscles were abnormally strained according to the chiro). You can check out chiros in your area at www.chiropractic.org.

Hope that helps
Rachel
41 wks, 3 days...patiently (sorta) waiting
#9 of 36 Old 03-30-2004, 11:47 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, that was great and fast. Thank you all so much. Honestly, I'm a little fearful of chiropractic but I sure want this baby to turn. I'm going to check it out. I wonder where to get Moxa sticks but I"m sure my midwife will know. Really, thank you so much.

Molly
#10 of 36 Old 03-31-2004, 12:43 AM

um, maybe this isn't PC anymore, but what about talking to your midwife about doing a breech delivery? you've already had a successful vaginal delivery ("proven pelvis" in OBspeak), and a breech baby doesn't have to be an emergency with someone who knows how to deliver one.

here's a website with info that says a breech delivery has similar outcomes whether delivered vaginally or via c-section. (this site has some other interesting stuff, too)

if your baby is staying breech, there could be a reason for it. i guess i don't understand the "turn at all costs" mentality, when we have given birth to breeches for millennia.

good luck...

katje
#11 of 36 Old 03-31-2004, 11:34 AM

Both my babies were breech and both were successfully turned via ECV (External Cephalic Version). This is a non invasive (ie not surgical) procedure that is performed by midwives and ob gyn's. This procedure is usually done after 36 weeks and is safe.

Speak to yur caregiver about ECV's and see if they can help you!

I know the anxiety you are going thru - hang in there!!!!!!!!!!

Raven
#12 of 36 Old 03-31-2004, 03:11 PM

ECVs are not as safe as people think. There are risks. They can cause a fetus to go into distress and poop meconium. They can be bruised, and they can also die. There is risk of prolapse cord. There is risk of rupture, though small. ECV can land you in an OR even done by skilled doctors.
I had ECV done and ended up with an emergency csection, a bruised baby that was distressed and full of meconium. Each doctor has their own success rate (and midwife) and you should ask what their success rate is, how many after being turned had complications, etc.
If you are considering an ECV do a lot of research, have it done in a hospital with US machine with a skilled professional.

I did everything that was mentioned on this thread minus the Webster Technique and still had a transverse baby for a reason. When she was delivered they found my uterus to be deformed. Sometimes babies are breech for a reason. It is up to you to trust your body and yourself to decide what to do.

Had I known what I do now about ECV I would not have let anyone try it on me, and I would never recommend anyone to get one, EVER.

I know several people who have had Webster done on them, and from seeing it done, I think it is FAR FAR FAR safer than an ECV with less trauma to you, your baby and your uterus and IMO has a better success rate of working and keeping baby head down.
#13 of 36 Old 03-31-2004, 04:40 PM

I had my ECV done at a Hospital. I think anyone considering an ECV should speak to their caregivers first. I was explained the risks involved and I guess I was lucky to have a really experienced doctor.

In my cases they were successful and I am grateful that they saved me from having a c-section.

At the end of the day you must follow your gut.
#14 of 36 Old 03-31-2004, 06:16 PM

My understanding of the ECV was they give it three tries and if it doesn't work, you are taken in for a c-section because of the risks OnThe Fence mentioned. I was in early labor when we discovered I was breech and tried an ECV but was unsuccessful, and had to have a c-section. Now, I'm not opposed to c-sections so I wasn't too upset. Not what I expected, but I was fine with my son's birth.
#15 of 36 Old 03-31-2004, 06:46 PM

The lady dr who performed (both) my ECV's was very thourough when explaing the risks and she did scans to see exactly how the baby was lying. I was hooked up to a heart monitor the whole time and with #2 she didnt use any medicaion to relax the uterus.

If the version was unsucessful then I would've probably had to have a c-section. It is risky which is why you should find the right person to do it.

I tried a number of other things to get baby to turn - accupuncture lying with butt elevated, washing floors on hands and knees and homepathic tablets - pulcitilla (sp?)
#16 of 36 Old 03-31-2004, 07:52 PM

We tried version with DS#2, but it didn't work. They'll only do a emergency c-sect if baby is in distress (they've got you hooked up to monitors the wholr time) or I suppose if they're trying version while already in labor. We were told this was an extremely low risk that he would have to born emergency c-sect. Also, it is really uncomfortable, but they'll only try a couple times.

My acupuncturist got upset at me for not coming in sooner to her. She says if you come in right when you find out baby is breech, there's a super good chance of turning it. Just look in the yellow pages under acupuncture and find which have experience turning breeches. I was worriedabout $$ and that's why I didn't see her sonner, but in hindsighht, wish I had just set up payment plan.

Also most midwives will deliver butt-down breeches. Mine was feet down so she wouldn't do it. I WISH I would have called the Farm and seen what they thought.

Anyhow, whatever you decide to do, do it NOW!
good luck!

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

#17 of 36 Old 03-31-2004, 07:56 PM

I did a google search and found...

http://www.pregnancy.com.au/breech_babies.htm
#18 of 36 Old 03-31-2004, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter

Just wanted you all to know how much I appreciate all the opinions. Have been lying upside down on the ironing board propped against the bed, talking to baby and checking out chiros in my neighbourhood. Tonight I'm getting some contacts for acupuncture. ECV has been offered to me after 37 weeks with the OB at the hosp and possible breech delivery if I go out of town ( with an OB) as the midwives in Ontario just can't ( legally). Thanks again all and if there's more just keep it coming!

Molly
#19 of 36 Old 03-31-2004, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by greymama
My understanding of the ECV was they give it three tries and if it doesn't work, you are taken in for a c-section because of the risks OnThe Fence mentioned. I was in early labor when we discovered I was breech and tried an ECV but was unsuccessful, and had to have a c-section. Now, I'm not opposed to c-sections so I wasn't too upset. Not what I expected, but I was fine with my son's birth.
I let them attempt it on me three times as well. I was desperate for a vaginal delivery and I didn't care how painful it was. And it was painful. My husband almost passed out watching them try to manipulate my uterus. My baby was monitored afterwards, and so was I. I actually was showing complications before my baby was.

I've actually heard of CNMs and OBs doing these in an office setting. Scarey.
#20 of 36 Old 03-31-2004, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by molly
Just wanted you all to know how much I appreciate all the opinions. Have been lying upside down on the ironing board propped against the bed, talking to baby and checking out chiros in my neighbourhood. Tonight I'm getting some contacts for acupuncture. ECV has been offered to me after 37 weeks with the OB at the hosp and possible breech delivery if I go out of town ( with an OB) as the midwives in Ontario just can't ( legally). Thanks again all and if there's more just keep it coming!

Molly
I actually had a midwife in training try to turn my baby with massage and doing some reflexology. We could actually see the baby trying to turn! It didn't work for me but it might for you and its actually pleasurable and not painful!
#21 of 36 Old 03-31-2004, 10:38 PM

i was exactly in your position 6 weeks ago. my baby flipped to breech at 35 weeks. I started going to the chiro right away and i swear after that first trip (webster technique) that baby was well on it's way to flipping back. i wanted a homebirth too and i was paranoid of a c section. I read as much as i could about delivering breeches and was actually set and determined to deliver a breech at home. so i kept up with the websters, going once a week when it was confirmed that the baby was headdown again at 38 weeks. i got my homebirth and a healthy baby! just learn all that you can.
#22 of 36 Old 04-01-2004, 06:57 PM

Originally posted by OnTheFence
Quote:
I've actually heard of CNMs and OBs doing these in an office setting. Scarey.
That *IS* scarey!
#23 of 36 Old 04-03-2004, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

No change yet but I've been trying out all your suggestions including chiro which was very gentle. Also moxa, handstands, breech tilt, talking with baby etc. Really appreciate all this knowledgea nd support.

Molly
#24 of 36 Old 04-03-2004, 08:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by Raven
Originally posted by OnTheFence
That *IS* scarey!

I've done a version at home - twice. The first was successful, the second the baby wouldn't budge, so we stopped.

At home, versions are MUCH different than in the hospital.

There is no "Grabbing" of the baby and forcing the baby over.

We massage the mom, or have her take a warm shower, drink some herbs to relax or a small glass of wine.

We oil up her belly, and while my assistant listens to heart tones the whole time, I gently nudge the baby over in a direction.

What usually happens is the baby will get transverse (sideways) and then naturally dive down into the pelvis.

There ARE risks to EV - whether they are done at home or in the hospital. I have found versions done by doctors are typically more forceful and more painful than ones done at home by midwives.

Provided everyone knows their true risks, I believe there is a place for versions done at home.

However, not everyone agrees and that's why we have hospitals. It's about choice, not being reckless.
#25 of 36 Old 04-04-2004, 08:16 AM

Youre right about doctors generally being more forceful. I must admit tho that if my midwife was able to do an EV and offered to do it at my house the way you described I would've concented - buts thats only because she and I are close and I have complete trust in her. I think these two aspects are far too often overlooked by doctors. Having said that I dont think I would've let the dr who did my EV's do it anywhere else but in the hospital.

At the end of the day you have to do research and feel comfortable with the choices you make.
#26 of 36 Old 04-04-2004, 11:11 AM

Pam for some reason your Version sounds more like the one we did at home! NOTHING like I have seen or read about from CNM or OBs. You have never struck me as the type to do something even comparable to what I had experienced.
We did something very similar at home and I could feel Elizabeth trying to go head down but she would go so far and then pop back into her weird position.
#27 of 36 Old 04-04-2004, 07:04 PM

I remember with dd I went for accupuncture and I could also feel her trying to turn but then not managing to go all the way. I think this was b/c she was bigger than average and I was about 38 weeks at the time.
#28 of 36 Old 04-07-2004, 10:53 PM - Thread Starter

Hi all,

Just wanted to thank you all for your help. My baby turned after accupunture yesterday (and the Webster technique and moxa and visualization and music and chatting to baby and all your suggestions) Really appreciate it.

Molly
#29 of 36 Old 04-08-2004, 12:25 AM

Yeah!!!!!!

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#30 of 36 Old 04-08-2004, 04:04 AM

GO MOLLY BABY!!!!

MY DS did the same thing, only he continued it for a bit. Turned Breech at @36, head-down at @37, breech at @38, and then about 3 days later, when I was yelling at the dog, head-down again. And stayed there. I felt it very acutely each time he "flipped" .

He liked it so much head down he stayed until 42 weeks and 2 days!

We think he may become a gymnast some day

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page