Placenta encapsulation: dosage and timeline - Mothering Forums
Birth and Beyond > Placenta encapsulation: dosage and timeline
3xMama's Avatar 3xMama 05:52 PM 02-09-2011

Hi all. I had my baby about a week and a half ago and started taking my placenta pills six days ago. I am following my postpartum doula's recommendation to start at one pill and add a pill every day. So day two is two pills, day three is three etc. She wants me to max out at ten provided I do not experience a headache and take ten a day until they are gone. This is not consistent  with the information I have read online. Everything I have read recommends taking a large dosage immediately postpartum (around six pills a day) and slowly tapering off over about a month.

Also, I was wondering how quickly the effects should be taking place? Anyone I've discussed this with talks about how amazing the results were and how quickly they got back on their feet. Women who suffered from PPD had fewer if any symptoms. Right now, six days in, I'm not feeling that much better physically. I can easily attribute that to an easier delivery and much more help around the house than I had at either of my prior births. Emotionally I'm feeling worse as the days go by, not better.

If anyone is willing to share their expirences and/or knowledge on this matter, I would greatly appreciate it!!

TIA!

Nicole730's Avatar Nicole730 05:55 PM 02-09-2011

I took 2/day 3 times a day for a week and then then 2/day 2 times/day for another week.  Then 1 at a time, 2 times a day.  Etc... I was about 7 weeks out and taking one a day or every few days as needed.

I did feel a lot better emotionally.  No random bouts of crying.  Physically, my second labor/pushing was easier, so I'm not sure if it was the pills or the labor in general.  No PPD either time.

I hope you find a combo that works for you!  And congrats on your new little one :)

Up