"Stretchmarks are Storytellers" by Pascale Douglas - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-16-2011, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi Mamas!

I just wanted to share a project that a very talented photographer I know is working on. It's called "Stretchmarks are Storytellers" and it is eventually going to be a photo book celebrating the beauty of bodies who have given birth. I was very fortunate to get to model for her, and it was such an empowering experience. I see my body, floppy and stretched, in a whole new light.
Here's a little of what she has to say about the project:

"Through communication and absolute, brutal honesty about the ups and teeth clenching downs of the journey to and through motherhood perhaps fewer women will experience the isolation that so often comes with it. And perhaps by sharing our extra skin and colorful scars and embracing and loving our bodies openly, fewer women will feel so self conscious! The media has flooded us with images of flat bellies and perky breasts. I’d like to pour some truth into that flood. We are flabby and saggy and stretched and BEAUTIFUL! We gave our bodies to give life.
I believe that this gift should be celebrated"

I encourage you to check our her webpage, especially if you are at all struggling with postpartum body image issues. I know I certainly was!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pascale/stretchmarks-are-storytellers?ref=live

SAHM with amazing DP, brilliant DS (10/18/07) and sweet-as-pie DD (1/26/10). We are extended BF, bedsharing, babywearing, CD, novax, no circ, UP, simple living and happy to be here!

User Tag List