Frozen postpartum pads? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 02-25-2011, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've never done this myself, but I was thinking maybe doing some this time. I have some newborn sposies I got on sale until the mec is gone, and I won't use them all. I was going to use some pp herbal infusion. Do I just pour in into the diaper, how much? And then you just freeze it? Can I do it before hand? Do you just put it against your skin, frozen like that? How many should I make?

TIA!

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

#2 of 14 Old 02-25-2011, 11:15 AM

OMG! These were a lifesaver for me! I swear it would have taken weeks longer to heal had my DH (awww) and I not have prepared 30 or so pads. I just used maxis and once I used the diapers they give for the baby from the hospital.

A good recipe we used, I think from birthing from within, was a tbsp of aloe vera juice, a tsp of witch hazel. The witch hazel was wonderful!

Just put it on frozen. Cold at first but so nice for soothing.

Good luck!

Learning to be a one income family. Learning to be a mama. Living with lots of heartbeat.gif

#3 of 14 Old 02-27-2011, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suddenlyamama View Post

A good recipe we used, I think from birthing from within, was a tbsp of aloe vera juice, a tsp of witch hazel. The witch hazel was wonderful!

Witch hazel IS wonderful but, MAKE SURE you get the alcohol-free kind!!

Wife to DH geek.gif, mom to DS (4/09), and DD (8/11)fly-by-nursing2.gif, and crafty and hardworking in my own right!  In my parenting journey I've  delayedvax.gif, signcirc1.gif, familybed2.gif, h20homebirth.gif, andcd.gif.  To each family their own!!

"There are words for people like me, but I don't think there are very many."

#4 of 14 Old 02-27-2011, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter

so you only used 2 tsp of liquid total in each pad?

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

#5 of 14 Old 02-27-2011, 01:55 PM

The recipe is to your preferance. You could soak them in aloe and witch hazel if you wanted. 

Learning to be a one income family. Learning to be a mama. Living with lots of heartbeat.gif

#6 of 14 Old 03-06-2011, 12:31 AM

I have never had a baby, but when I had my anus removed, they cut me open exactly the same way they would if you had an episiotomy. My doctor told me that the incision was similar to a 4th. degree episiotomy tear, so that is long and painful!  I was very sore for about 2-3 weeks. I was still using a wheelchair full-time back then and it hurt to sit down all day long.

One thing the hospital did for me after surgery was they used these special maxi pads that had ice pack solution in them.  They snapped them open like an ice pack and I wore one with disposable panties (they borrowed all of this from the labor and delivery floor, from what a nurse told me).  These were a godsend!  Later, when I came home, my caregiver did something similar with Natracare long maxi pads.  She put witch hazel and bottled water mixed together on the pad and froze several of them.  I would change them every couple of hours.  They made sitting down much more bearable.  The witch hazel also reduced swelling a great deal as well. 

Jessie

#7 of 14 Old 03-06-2011, 08:38 PM

We used a few squirts of calendula and witch hazel in a spray bottle of water then gave the maxis a good spritzing then froze them. I found the ones with a heavy misting were more comfortable, flexible, and more absorbant than the fully soaked ones

Jen
Together with DH 20 years, mom to a 5 year old daughter,
finally pg with #2 july 2/2011

#8 of 14 Old 03-08-2011, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

I made them. I dipped them in an herbal infusion for a second and then squeezed them out. So I guess we'll see how it goes!

#9 of 14 Old 03-22-2011, 07:45 AM

you'll be so happy you did! I made them for my second and it was so helpful for both swelling/hemhorroids. I'm made up my herbal blend and will be making more this week!

#10 of 14 Old 03-22-2011, 07:59 AM

Open up the back of the diaper and pour ice right in between the layers.

#11 of 14 Old 03-23-2011, 01:03 PM

I personally worry about the "gel" stuff that's in sposies coming into contact with delicate healing skin if they're cut open.  I think it would be better  & safer to use a large, thick overnight pad instead.  The filling in sposies creeps me out.

Lisa   L&D RN mama to DS#1 (4-01) DS#2 (9-03) DD (10-05) vbac.gifX2,  ribbonpb.gif 10-2011

#12 of 14 Old 03-27-2011, 08:47 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)

I just made some - we'll see how they turn out.  I filled a squirt bottle with 1/2 witch hazel and 1/2 strong comfrey root & leaf tea and then squeezed that on to regular maxi pads.  The ones that seem like they will work best are a Target brand "Maxi Super" pads (kind of thick).  The "overnight ultra thins" seem like they'll work the worst.  Sorry for the poor description of the type of pad - I don't normally wear them and don't know the lingo.  ;-)  I just opened the individually wrapped pads, squeezed liquid on them and folded them back into the wrapper.  I read on MDC that a mama did that and it just seemed the simplest thing to do.   

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#13 of 14 Old 03-27-2011, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter

Had baby a few days ago and back to report.

I used the "feel better about yourself for using 'sposies" 'sposies, the kind that don't have any nasty stuff in them and cost you a kidney. lol.gif I'm glad I did, I liked how much surface area they covered, but if I had to do it over again, I'd use a squirt bottle or mister. They felt awesome, but were too saturated to hold much lochia and so they leaked pretty easily.

#14 of 14 Old 03-28-2011, 11:54 AM

I used those giant pads for incontinence (also had some of those giant puffy maxi pads that a friend gave me as her leftovers PP). I used a peri bottle with water, calendula and witch hazel and squirted each pad so it was damp but not soaked, as I'd read somewhere about people freezing their tender bits (like actually getting frostbite!) and I just put those in the freezer when I went into labour. They were AWESOME and because they weren't saturated they held in the liquid as well as my flow. I also put WH and Calendula into my peribottle when I went to the bathroom which should reduce swelling.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page