Prodromal Labor vs. "Crampiness" - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 02-28-2011, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm 38W 2D right now with baby #2. DS didn't arrive until 41W4D, so I'm not necessarily expecting anything too soon.

But I've been "crampy" for months now. This weekend was really miserable - just so much pressure, crampy sensation, & even occasional pain down in my cervix. But no sensations of a coming-and-going contraction.

Is this similar to prodromal labor? My MW says the cervical "twinges" are probably dilating me a bit. (I haven't been checked & neither she nor I feel any need to do so.) I'm also hoping that when things finally DO get started, it'll be fast. (Labor with DS was under 5 hours for 1st stage, and that was a first baby!)

Is there any connection between prodromal labor & FAST labor once active labor starts?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 02-28-2011, 02:02 PM

Hi.  I can't answer your question but wanted to sympathize.  I had a very fast labor with DD #1 and am currently 39 weeks with #2.  I've had very intense mesntrual-like cramping for the past week now and as of last Tuesday was not dilated at all.  I have no experience with this b/c I never had anything like it with DD.  Now it seems like it's switching over to more classic BH ctx.  Hopefully this is a sign that things are moving along. 

GL to you!

#3 of 4 Old 03-02-2011, 01:34 AM

I think I would distinguish the two by calling prodromal labor the type of discomfort that interferes with your ability to rest and/or function.  And technically, it's really prolonged early labor.  So crampiness that comes and goes and even if it hurts, but allows you to get at least a reasonable amount of sleep or work done, I wouldn't classify as "prodromal labor".  But the 2-3 days of every 7 minute contractions that just keep going and don't let you sleep---that is.

I do think that you can have fairly significant dialation during prodromal labor---so that once things get alligned or really kick in, it does go faster.  I seem to see most prodromal labor connected with OP or asynclitic positioning too and then once the baby rotates, then things progress at a more "normal" speed.

I'm eager to see how this birth goes for you Meg! Can't wait to hear about it (if you share). :) I've been excited ever since I heard you were pregnant since I enjoy your perspective here so much.

Mama to P. born at home 10/09, and W. born in the hospital 2/13

#4 of 4 Old 03-02-2011, 02:28 AM

I would agree that prodromal labour is stop-start ctx or ctx with big gaps and distinct from the crampiness, pressure and general discomfort of late pregnancy.  i did find #2 way less comfortable to carry the last 6 weeks than #1.

I had prodromal labour with both.  With #1 i had 12 hours of regular ctx which didn't do more than efface me by 25% and dilate me to 3cm (from the 1-2 i was already dilated before labour), then about 3 hours total of active labour (including 5mins pushing stage and 12mins 3rd stage), most of which was me trying not to push as the mw's told me i wasn't in labour yet.

with #2 i had 4-5 ctx an hour for about 8 hours, which i think dilated me to about 6-7cm (i checked myself), then 61mins active labour and a 20min 3rd stage.  Pushed for 6mins this time, but with dd1 the "5mins" was from when they noticed her head already crowned to her being born, with dd2 it was 6 mins from "head at spines" to born.  They both came out direct OA, didn't turn for their shoulders.

So for me prodromal labour does seem to give me fast births!  I'm glad of it though, my births would be total tornadoes without that bit of prodromal warning.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page