Independent Study - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-02-2011, 03:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi Everyone,

My name is Megan, and I am an accelerated nursing student. I am conducting an independent study examining the relationship between a woman’s labor and delivery experience and the feelings and emotions she experiences during the labor and delivery process and in postpartum period. I just got approved by the school's institutional review board, so now, I am able to reach out and start contacting people.

I am looking for women who have given birth in the last 10 years and who would like to discuss their birth experiences and how they felt after their child was born. It would require answering a couple questions in narrative form (if you feel like writing it out would be better) or doing a face to face interview. Whatever it more comfortable/more convenient for you.

If you are interested/willing to help me out, email me at [email protected], and I will send you more info, including the questions and a consent form. I look forward to hearing from you. Please note that all of your information will remain confidential.

Have a great weekend,
Megan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 03-02-2011, 10:45 PM

Can you tell us anything else about the study?  Who exactly is this research for?  Or which school, or class is this for?  Are you wanting only women who have given birth in the hospital?

Wife to DH geek.gif, mom to DS (4/09), and DD (8/11)fly-by-nursing2.gif, and crafty and hardworking in my own right!  In my parenting journey I've  delayedvax.gif, signcirc1.gif, familybed2.gif, h20homebirth.gif, andcd.gif.  To each family their own!!

"There are words for people like me, but I don't think there are very many."

#3 of 6 Old 03-02-2011, 11:08 PM - Thread Starter

The study is taking place through William Paterson University in New Jersey. Basically, here's the situation. I had to take a nursing elective this semester and instead of taking a formal class, I decided to do an independent study. I am following a midwife and doing a qualitative study to see if there is a correlation between a woman's labor and delivery experience and the emotions she experiences during the postpartum period. I am looking at women's narratives to see if there is a pattern between the L&D experience and the maternal emotions felt during postpartum. I am looking for women who gave birth...period. I would love to hear from women who gave birth in a hospital, at home, in a birthing center, in a car. Honestly, I was not intending on getting such a great response, but so many women have volunteered to help me. If my research is significant enough, I may be able to write an article for a nursing journal. 

Bottom Line:

-I'm looking at women's L&D experiences and see how it relates to their postpartum emotions

-The research is currently for me and my advisor, but it could be made into an article for publication if the research is significant (everyone's info would remain confidential)

-I go to William Paterson University and it's for a course for which I created the curriculum (i.e. independent study)

-I'm looking for every kind of birth story 

Thanks so much for asking :)

#4 of 6 Old 03-05-2011, 05:49 PM

What if you have had a bunch of kids?  How does the survey handle that?

Catholic wife in love.gifwith my husband, mom to superhero.gifx5,  babygirl.gifx2, angel1.gifx6. Birther of babes, baker of bread, and connoisseur of human folly. WINNER OF THE SILVER BIRTH STOOL, APRIL 2010 DDC! Happily hospital birthing with my BFF, Epidural Man.
#5 of 6 Old 03-06-2011, 12:25 AM - Thread Starter

So here's the deal with the independent study. I'm doing a
qualitative/correlational study looking at the relationship between
birthing experiences and the mother's emotions during the postpartum
period. I will send 1 attached item, but there are 2 pages. The first page
gives a brief description of the study and has a consent form. This is
a study that has been approved by my university and your information
will remain confidential.

The second page has the questions and space where you can write your
narrative. For the narrative, the more detail the better and
obviously, there is no page limit. Just let it flow. Now I don't know
how many pregnancies/births you've had, but if you've had more than
one, than you are more than welcome to write about each
pregnancy/l&d/postpartum. If you have one child or just want to write
about one child, that is totally fine too. Whatever you are
comfortable with. But each narrative should be about one
pregnancy,labor/delivery, and postpartum period.

So each pregnancy/postpartum will be a separate narrative. The more narratives the better :)

#6 of 6 Old 05-25-2011, 01:41 AM

Find out what format the study materials are presented to online students. Make sure that format will work with your learning styles. Some schools send books and quizzes are taken online. Other schools have videos that are viewable online. Other schools have curriculum online. Other schools require you to work in groups to complete assignments, which may require you to be online at certain times. Make sure whatever format is offered is one that will work with not only your learning style but with your schedule as well.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page