Cesarean Birth/Recovery Support Thread 9 (april 04) - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 168 Old 04-20-2004, 09:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by OnTheFence
Carla, I am a fat chic. Weighing 240-250 at delivery of both my babies. Dylan's birthmother was 260. We did not have GA, in fact its DANGEROUS! Increased risk of maternal death.
See, that's what I thought. As I got bigger, I'd always choose alternatives to GA for surgery if it were availible. Some of the Dr's at the clinic seem to want to make pregnancy miserable for anyone who isn't at their ideal weight

Quote:
Tell them you want sutures, they are so much better and my scar this time looks so much better. I felt better put together. With my first I kept being paranoid my guts were going to come out and some of the staples got twisted.
Yeah, my scar looks like a trainwreck still (of course the fact I have a huge bulging hernia on top of this lovely mess doesn't do much for how it looks, but my belly stays under wraps anyway ). My incision didnt close properly and I had a lot of seepage problems. I had to go in 3 times for problems....maybe with that on my record, they'll use the other route.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 168 Old 04-20-2004, 10:07 AM

My ob wouldn't do sutures. I had staples both times and had problems the first time with them twisting. The scond time she was mich mre careful.

My scar looked great both times

Single Mom to 2 amazing little men. T(7) and B(5)
#123 of 168 Old 04-20-2004, 10:12 AM

I've had stitches and staples, and I much prefer the stitches as well, the dissolving ones

As far as I know Kim is right about General Anesthesia upping the risk of maternal death, and esp in higher weight patients. My OB and I decided on a spinal again for me, as I had no problems with the other 2 spinals, but when discussing it she said that she felt epidural was mainly the way to go in higher weight patients, as simply there can be more to go through surgically, and she said generally higher weight patients take longer to do a c-section on . Anywho- so maybe you should go with Kim's suggestion of epidural- even though I was quite happy with the spinals I had. The thing with the spinal is that it wears off sooner, which, if you have any complications would be a bad thing- after the unexpected length of time my last surgery took (had trouble getting him out, and had a lot of repair work to do), if by some chance I ever get pregnant again, I will choose epidural.

For what to take to the hospital- I brought comfy yoga pants and tank tops, my own undies and nursing bras, socks and slippers, my own shampoo, conditioner, lotion and make-up---- I feel better in my own clothes and I shower/wash my hair just as soon as I can- I feel better walking the halls in clothes (as opposed to those silly gowns) and I feel like less of a "sick person" that way. I also bring goodies for the nurses (this last time I brought them 2 dozen Crispy Kremes) Don't forget the camera and camcorder of course

I too would (did) skip the hep B vax (here they don't give it until 2 weeks anyway- but we still haven't done it ), but did have them give the vit. K shot.

ITA that BFing can be hard no matter what kind of birth you have- but--it could be easy too! Put babe to breast constantly, room-in and ask to see the LC even if you don't think you need her . My milk came in at 5 days for my first 2 and in under 48 hours with my third.

HTH! Sorry it's disjointed I'm nak

OH_ deny the eye ointment- there is no reason for it with a c-section, and my son has a clogged tear duct (still at 3 months) b/c of it

:Patty :fireman Catholic, intactalactivist, co-sleeping, GDing, HSing, no-vax Mama to .........................:..........hale:
#124 of 168 Old 04-20-2004, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

I think epidural vs Spinal is something Tammy needs to be armed with before ever going for her csection. I know that due to the position of Elizabeth they had a difficult time getting her out and they had more repair work than needed. I felt the whole thing. I didn't want to chance a spinal again. At least with an epidural they can keep dosing you! OBs like spinals because they are quick and supposedly have a better block. With my epidural I did feel pushing and manipulating but at least I was "prepared" this time for it and it didn't phase me.
#125 of 168 Old 04-20-2004, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

No eye ointment, if they try to argue it say how the hell are they going to get a std coming out a hole in your front? They can't argue with that! :LOL

I also agree with the getting into your own clothes and fixing up. Helps you feel better! And being nice to your nurses GOES A long way. Even the ones that act like bitches. I also say bring them food -- and I don't mean a fruit basket, something really yummy like chocolate and sugar.

Were you having a doula before? Maybe she can do post partum care?
#126 of 168 Old 04-20-2004, 10:50 AM

It amazes me how much practices differ from hospital to hospital. I'll tell you my experience so you can glean some ideas from that.

If you want to see the birth, talk to your OB about setting up a mirror. I was apparently one of the very few who wanted to watch, but they were great and set up a mirror for me (as it turned out, I was too distracted to watch, lol).

They said they'd never put a cath in before I was anaesthetized - harder on everybody. But I suppose it's good to ask! Getting it out was no problem either, though I was super nervous it would hurt. Bless those nurses - they waited until I had a full bladder, then while I sat on the potty and peed they took it out - I barely felt anything!

I loved that mesh underwear, lol.

Anyways, back to the birth! DH went to DD as soon as she was out of me. He cut the cord, they swaddled her, and immediately gave her to him. He held her by my face while they stitched me up. He then went with her to the nursery where they just weighed her, and gave her a quick lookover. No ointments or anything at that time - they were very big on promoting bonding at this hospital. By the time I got to the recovery room, DH and DD were right there, and she went to the breast immediately. We had about two hours together, then they took her to get her eye goop, which really wasn't at all as bad as I thought it would be. I didn't fight them on this - they had done so much I'd asked for and I just felt this wasn't important enough to me to push for. DH was always with her when she went to the nursery (after that time, she only went to be weighed each night, and I often went with her for the exercise). I wanted to make sure nobody tried to give her paci's or formula, etc. but honestly the hospital was so pro-BFing there was really no risk of that.

I am a bit confused that some say they couldn't sit up to nurse. I had an automatic adjustable bed and could move myself up and down at will. This actually made breastfeeding a cinch. Also, FWIW, I never used my Boppy. The hospital bed had side rails and I found it easier to use regular pillows - I could squish them and move them to exactly where I needed them. DD's weight was on my upper belly because that's where she had to be to reach my breasts, lol, so there was never any issue of the incision getting in the way. I also wore the hospital gowns the whole time because they snapped open for easy breastfeeding and were so easy to nurse in.

Basically, DD lived on my chest. She nursed as often as possible, and would fall asleep and stay on my chest. It was great, really - I would adjust the bed up, nurse her, she'd fall asleep, then I'd just push the down button and we'd both be asleep in no time! I wish I'd had that adjustable bed at home! My milk came in less then 36 hours after the birth.

I had narcotic analgesics for the first 24 hours, and drank only broth for dinner that night (mine was in the morning). But, I was up and walking around at 10 pm that night. It actually felt good and really helps with recovery. After 24 hours they switched me to just regular anaesthetics and as long as I took it every few hours, I honestly felt no pain at all.

I declined the Hep B shot. Unless your child comes out very sick and there's a chance of a blood transfusion, the chances of getting it are close to nothing. The only reason they give Hep B shots to newborns is b/c that's the best time to "catch" everybody, since vaginal birth mamas are often gone by 48 hours. Really, all this baloney about your newborn catching a sexually-transmitted-dirty-needle disease are such a load of crap. And while I am not anti-vax, I do think it's a rotten idea to challenge the immune system of such a young baby, especially when we KNOW that their immune systems are not mature. I didn't any flack about refusing it, just nodded my head when they said I should do it some time before DD comes into regular contact with other kids (yeah, all those playground-drug-addicts, : ).

My biggest advice to you is find out what hospital policies are. Ask all the questions beforehand so you can be prepared and know what needs to be said and what will be taken care of.

Good luck!!

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#127 of 168 Old 04-20-2004, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Piglet68
We had about two hours together, then they took her to get her eye goop, which really wasn't at all as bad as I thought it would be. I didn't fight them on this - they had done so much I'd asked for and I just felt this wasn't important enough to me to push for.
This is the same reason I didn't *push* about the eye ointment- my first 2 had it with no ill-effects, now I know why I should've pushed for it- poor boys tear duct , if it doesn't clear on it's own by sometime around 1 year, they will start pushing to surgically repair it, even my pediatrician said what a shame it was, as there was just no reason for him to have the eye ointment, and it is well known to cause clogged ducts . So- now I say- PUSH!

:Patty :fireman Catholic, intactalactivist, co-sleeping, GDing, HSing, no-vax Mama to .........................:..........hale:
#128 of 168 Old 04-20-2004, 02:35 PM

Begin in recovery doing abdominal strengthening exercises. I got a list I followed from Having Twins by Elizabeth Noble but I'm sure you can find them elsewhere - mine were specific to c-birth recovery. Nobody could believe how fast I recovered, incl. the hospital nurses and my own doctor.

Regarding bfing: while I agree that determination is the most important factor, I do not agree that it doesn't have to be difficult. I had nightmare bf beginnings with all three of mine, but I was determined to get past them and I did. If you have trouble, it's not a reason to quit, usually.

You really don't need to take much with you. I think the most important things are anything that will make you more comfortable. The toilet paper is a great idea!

Analisa, Mama to Meg 12/12/01, Patrick 12/24/03, Catherine 12/24/03, Ben 2/26/06
#129 of 168 Old 04-20-2004, 02:58 PM

What painkillers did everyone use and what did you think of it? I'd done very little research and so just took what they gave me. Mine was Oxycontin in the hospital and Percocet at home, but I'd like to find something that makes my head feel a little less dense should I end up with a c/b with DD#2... though it certainly did the trick.

With DD, she was taken to be bathed in the station in the surgery and was then given to DH who held her near me while I was being stitched up. My left arm (the one not hooked up to the IV) was free and I was able to touch her. Weighing, etc. was not done until much later in my room. She never left my sight. I spent no time in recovery and went right back to my room after being stitched up. DD was given to me for nursing practically the second I was wheeled back to the room. Somebody elevated me, I assume it was the nurse. DD was very alert and had freaked out the surgical nurse that bathed her because she was tracking her with her eyes.

I'd had a spinal as leaving in an epidural was not an option (I'd be starting Lovenox, an anticoagulant, within a few hours... dangerous combo with an epi).

We waived the eye goop, the HepB and the Vitamin K shot. The only thing we were given grief about was the Vitamin K, but since (1) DD had a 50% chance of inheriting FVL from me and being hypercoagulable; (2) the rate of pediatric strokes from clotting are second only to geriatric strokes; and (3) DD had my preg. hormones running through her system, I didn't want to risk the Vitamin K shot. They sent three different peds in to talk some "sense" into me, but it did help that I'd discussed it with DD's ped (who didn't have privileges at the hospital in question) and had a doctor's note indicating that he supported our position.
#130 of 168 Old 04-20-2004, 03:30 PM

Hi ladies,

Great info to print out - thank you to all who've added their words of wisdom.

Just curious - what is the typical length of stay with a c/s? With my uterine surgery I had it early morning and felt good enough that I was discharged late afternoon of the following day. It was nice to be back in my own home space away from the hustle and bustle of the hospital. I'm guessing if a typical v/b stay is 48 hours that c/s is at least a day longer than that?

LisaG

Lisa , married to Dan, mama to IVF miracle Natalie 5/20/09 :
#131 of 168 Old 04-20-2004, 03:33 PM

One more question (for now ),

I'm a bit confused on a spinal - I assumed that they could redose you like an epidural if needed, but based on some of the comments I've read it doesn't seem like it?

Sounds like the advantages of a spinal are it's quicker/easier for the anesthesiologist to do?

And sounds like an epidural can be left in longer and used to dose pain meds through post procedure?

LisaG

Lisa , married to Dan, mama to IVF miracle Natalie 5/20/09 :
#132 of 168 Old 04-20-2004, 03:43 PM

My son was born 9:33 Monday night and I was released around 4pm on Thursday. I could of stayed longer if I wanted to, but I wanted to get home (plus they needed the beds and I couldn't begrudge a woman who just given birth a bed when I would of rather of been home).

When I went home, I had no pain meds. I felt great! I can't remember what they gave me in the hospital, but it was in suppository form. I didn't even have any my last day in and I felt fine (and I'm usually a wimp when it comes to pain). I realize not all women would feel that good (the poor person in the next roo had a really rough time and was in a lot of pain. I felt so bad for her. She didn't even have her baby with her most of the time while she was there ).

Oh, that reminds me, did you guys room in? I'm so glad we were able to. I think if I have to have another this time, I'll either co-sleep or have the little bassinette right beside my bed the whole time as I never thought to last time. We weren't really bothered much last time except when they gave me meds, meals and to check on the baby. I really liked that.
#133 of 168 Old 04-20-2004, 03:43 PM

I believe most anesthesiologists prefer the spinal not b/c of ease, but b/c they feel it gives a better block, from what I have been told, and I can attest that for my 3 births the spinal was perfect. (Kim had a different experience ).

I had Sean on Friday morning and was discharged Sunday morning (on my own request, they wanted me to stay, but did give me the ok to leave early- it wasn't leaving AMA, although they'd have preferred I stay another day). I feel I left the hospital too soon and another day would've been good for me. (although I'd do it again- leaving early that is ) The biggest thing I missed from the hospital upon coming home was the motorized bed to get me comfy.

#134 of 168 Old 04-20-2004, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

I had demerol.
#135 of 168 Old 04-20-2004, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by LisaG
Hi ladies,

Great info to print out - thank you to all who've added their words of wisdom.

Just curious - what is the typical length of stay with a c/s? With my uterine surgery I had it early morning and felt good enough that I was discharged late afternoon of the following day. It was nice to be back in my own home space away from the hustle and bustle of the hospital. I'm guessing if a typical v/b stay is 48 hours that c/s is at least a day longer than that?

LisaG
With my first one, 96 hours though I needed more time. My second one 48 hours. I think the next time I will stay 72 hours, just because I have other kids at home and I got worn out quickly but I felt great the day I left!

Kim
#136 of 168 Old 04-20-2004, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by LisaG
One more question (for now ),

I'm a bit confused on a spinal - I assumed that they could redose you like an epidural if needed, but based on some of the comments I've read it doesn't seem like it?

Sounds like the advantages of a spinal are it's quicker/easier for the anesthesiologist to do?

And sounds like an epidural can be left in longer and used to dose pain meds through post procedure?

LisaG
thats right, epidural can be redosed and you can have it post surgery with a pcap right into your spine. this is what I did or you can up for a duramorph injection for a longer block in the epi.

Spinals cannot be redosed. For girls like us with uterine anomalies, I dont recommend them. When they open you up to get your baby out they don't know what kind of work they might have to do to get them out or repair work they may have to do. With a spinal they have a limited amount of time and that is it, when it runs out, they just drug you out of your mind and give you amnesia medication.

My epidural was put in 10-15 minutes before in my labor and delivery room. I was very relaxed and they had some students in there to watch the guy do it. I hand picked the guy who did the proceedure too. My sister helped me arch my back and she massaged my shoulders while my head was literally in her breasts! The deadening shot hurt worse going in. I was very nervous and kept asking when it was going to work. It was a very weird sensation to loose the feeling in my lower half but I could still move my legs! I was in good spirits but kept asking a million questions. The more people talked to me the better I felt. (no one said anything to me the first time!)
#137 of 168 Old 04-20-2004, 05:17 PM

DD was born at exactly midnight Monday/Tuesday and I went home Friday morning. I'd been in hospital labouring for the previous 24 hours as well (water broke and DD hadn't dropped, so we went to the hospital to make sure everything was OK). I could have been discharged Thursday, but took the extra day only because our bedroom at the time was up a very steep flight of stairs and I didn't quite feel up to that on the Thursday.
#138 of 168 Old 04-20-2004, 05:44 PM

I had a narcotic analgesic delivered via IV for the first 24 hours after my C/S. After that, it was oral tylenol with codeine. I was worried about going off the IV drugs thinking I'd be in pain (when I was feeling NO pain at all) but at the same time, I didn't want to be on them long b/c of nursing DD. The Tylenol 3's did wonders and by the time I left the hospital I was just on regular tylenol.

I stayed the full four days. Without a child at home that time, I was actually really enjoying my stay, lol. DH had a cot and spent nights with me, he fetched me fresh groceries to eat (I had a private room with a mini-fridge. That and the TV remote, plus the adjustable bed...DD and I felt like we were on vacation in a nice hotel, lol.

I'm not sure what I'll do this time around, b/c I have DD now, so may cut it a bit short. If my recovery is like the first time, I probably will. Also, I got flack from one pediatrician about DD losing weight around day 3. If I was home, maybe they'd leave me alone, lol. But I also hadn't picked out a ped and so this time I will find one who is not so weight-obsessed (read: formula pushing) and it may not be an issue.

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#139 of 168 Old 04-20-2004, 06:20 PM

Pain Meds : I had an epidural with duramorph injected into prior to removal of the epi.cath. I had no pain for a good 12-18 hours post c/b, but the duramorph made me very itchy. After that I was offered Percocet or 600 mg. of Motrin. I took the Motrin and that was sufficient for me. I gradually weaned myself down to lower doses . By 2 weeks pp, I was only taking 1 Advil when I really needed it, usually only when I over did it.

Hospital Stay: I went into labor at 9pm on a Sunday, was admitted to the hosp. at 10am on Monday, had ds at 8pm Monday night, and went home around 2pm on Friday. My ob would've released me on Thursday except ds was severely jaundiced and under the bili lights and I didn't want to go home until he could go home with me, so I stayed the extra day. A four day stay is pretty standard in my area.
#140 of 168 Old 04-20-2004, 06:46 PM

pain meds--It was standard to keep the epi fo 24 hours but mine was out at 6 or 7 hours post-op...I begged!! I was on percocet the rest of the time. I was out of bed at about 8.5 hours pp (after I could feel my legs). My son was in special care so I wanted to get to him ASAP!!

I was admitted on Thursday morning. My c/b was complete by 9:45. I was released early saturday afternoon. I would have been released earlier but there was some confusion. I was waiting for the nurse to come get me and she was waiting for me to leave!

I loved the mesh undies too!!

I brought my own clothes. As soon as the IVs and such were out I took a shower and changed.

Advice about your first shower...or even second and third... if it is in your room and a private shower get dh to take it with you Dh took one with me and he was able to help balance me and be there if I felt a bit dizzy. He is also a great back washer

#141 of 168 Old 04-20-2004, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, take showers with someone with you and don't get up from the toilet too fast. I passed out at home in the middle of a shower! I also got faint after having my first bowel movement.

The things we discuss here at Mothering. LOL
#142 of 168 Old 04-20-2004, 10:00 PM

Hi all, I've just started a meetup group for cesarean support for those who have had one. It's so we can discuss in person how this has affected our lives. Go to www.meetup.com and do a topic search for cesarean. I hope the link works! Thanks!

hang.gif  

#143 of 168 Old 04-21-2004, 03:41 AM

My $0.02:

Pain Meds - I had my c-section under general anaesthesia because it was an emergency, and I was on IV-administered morphine for the next day or so, with one of those nifty little buttons that you can push to get the morphine when you want it. After I was done with the morphine, they authorized me to get 2 Percocet and 600 mg of Motrin every 6 hours. After the first dose of that, I started requesting that they only give me one Percocet pill, because I'm a fairly small girl and on two Perkies I was stoned out of my gourd, completely unable to function. When I was discharged I just didn't fill my Percocet prescription and got by on Motrin for the next week or so.

Hospital Stay - My c-section was performed just before midnight on a Wednesday and I was discharged that Sunday. My son had to stay in the NICU until the following Friday, so I delayed my discharge as long as possible and then rode down to the hospital every day to spend as many hours as possible with him.

And about the showers: having assistance on the first shower is a godsend. My mother actually helped me take my first shower after the surgery and I don't think I could have managed it without her aid.
#144 of 168 Old 04-22-2004, 02:57 AM

I too was given percocet (with 800 mg ibuprofin) but had to request they lower the dosage as it made me too loopy. I took it for the first week or so then depended on plain old tylenol after that.

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#145 of 168 Old 04-22-2004, 11:42 AM

Hi All!
Count me in on the support thread, please! I had my son via c section on April 5th. We started out as a homebirth, 36 hours later went to hospital since my contractions had slowed to 1 an hour or so and I was on no sleep, at 49 hours and 3 1/2 hours of pushing my son turned transverse and well...here I am!

As for the pain meds, I was given the equivalent of 3 Advil with the option of getting Percoset if I wanted. I ended up not needing it. I did fill a prescription for it to take home but I started taking it and realized I really didn't need it. Yes, they made me a bit high! I am bfeeding so it kind of freaked me out to take anything that got me stoned!

Man, they dischared me and my boy early! My son was born at 10:25pm on Monday and I was home by 2pm Wednesday! It's been just over 2 weeks and for the past week I don't feel like I even had anything done. My incision site is a tiny bit tender but not really. I feel fortunate to be recovering well. I was worried about being laid up for a while.

When did your Dr.s say you could drive? I can't remember what mine said and I'm ready to go!

Oh and what about sex? I don't think they said anything about that one.

Glad this thread is here!
Amy

Mama to DS1 (4/04) DS2 (HBAC 11/06) DS3 (HBAC 12/08) DS4 (HBAC 1/11). Wife to one handsome hard working DH.
#146 of 168 Old 04-22-2004, 12:02 PM

My OB said 2 weeks to drive, and 6 weeks for sex. (couldn't think which smilie to put here)

#147 of 168 Old 04-22-2004, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Phoebe,

I read your birth story on another thread and you inspire me! I think you have such a positive outlook on life and really are in tune with your body!

I was driving 1 week post op with my last csection, 2 week first. My first csection I was having sex at 4 weeks post op, this last one I could have done the same if I could have found time! :LOL
#148 of 168 Old 04-22-2004, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jess7396
My OB said 2 weeks to drive, and 6 weeks for sex. (couldn't think which smilie to put here)
SIX WEEKS???

I'm already on full "pelvic rest" and have been since late March and am not due to be delivered until the end of May and then...and then.... I won't get any until JULY?!?
#149 of 168 Old 04-22-2004, 09:07 PM

I bet my dh wishes YOU were his wife right now, AnaNicole...I can't imagine wanting to have sex in only 4 more weeks. He's already planning an "event"...and I just want to tell him I can't concentrate on anything but my sweet baby. He can get lost for the time being. :LOL
#150 of 168 Old 04-23-2004, 12:20 AM

Hey gals....

I'm in PAIN!! Everytime I bump my tummy I want to scream!! I'm starting to get feeling back in the areas above my incision and it is sore! Not to mention the itching but I can't scratch cause the feeling is still not all the way back!

OK...I'm done whining

Other than that I'm doing great!!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page