Cesarean Birth/Recovery Support Thread 9 (april 04) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 168 Old 04-01-2004, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This thread is for mothers who are either planning a cesarean birth or recovering from a cesarean birth. This is a support only thread-please refrain from debate and judgment.
#2 of 168 Old 04-01-2004, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

Cesarean birth plan

As this is a planned Cesarean birth we are looking forward to a positive birth experience. We want to participate in this birth to the fullest. We have listed our preferences below, these decisions have been made after research, consultation, and thought. Therefore your help in attaining these goals is very much appreciated.

We would appreciate preoperative blood work and tests to be done on an out patient basis, and hospital admission on the day of the birth.

My sister, *******, is to stay with me the entire time, even for procedures and administration of anesthesia.

I would like an epidural for pain relief with Duramorph. < this I changed to the PCAPump, which left the epidural cath in my back where pain medication was directly put into the spinal column, it was like having a walking epidural and I could dose myself before moving around or nursing)

I would like the catheter put in after anesthesia is administered.

We do not wish to have medical students present during our cesarean. < I did have a student nurse and would gladly take another one, they pampered me!)

My arms are not to be strapped down unless general anesthesia becomes necessary during an emergency.

We would like the option of viewing the birth either by lowering the screen or positioning a mirror.

Kim would like a verbal description of the birth as is occurs. Kim welcomes conversation during the process. (while some people want quiet, I didnt. That scared me last time. I want some conversation)

We would like to take photos as we did of our first child. (we did not do video, but you can add this. my pictures are graphic)

Kim would like to see the baby immediately after birth if at all possible. She would also like to be given the baby or have it held near her in the OR. (my frist csection I did not get to see my baby)

No mind altering drugs are to be administered without Kim’s expressed permission. I am aware that some hospitals routinely sedate the mom for the repair portion of the surgery. It is important to Kim not to feel drugged or be unable to remember the events of the birth. We wish that no pre-op or post-op drugs be administered that cause drowsiness or sedation.

We would like our baby to be with us in recovery. Kim wishes to breastfeed immediately. Please do not give our baby bottles of formula or water and no pacifiers. ( I had Jack with me 15min after he was born, I actually was sitting in bed on the phone)

Kim does not want to be deprived of liquids or food after her cesarean.

Please remove Kim’s IV and catheter as soon as it is no longer medically necessary. She wishes to get up and move after the birth of our baby as soon as possible.
Kim would like to be promptly discharged as soon as she is well enough.
#3 of 168 Old 04-02-2004, 11:14 AM

hi there! hope everyone is well. just bumping this up to the top of the page.

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#4 of 168 Old 04-02-2004, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Did you know your hospitals CB rate before going to it? Was it something that concerned you, or were you thinking more in terms of the doctor you use?

Kim
#5 of 168 Old 04-02-2004, 01:02 PM

Subscribing to the thread-

Am now six months post c/b-am happy to say that I feel I'm completely "back"- that's a good thing.

Would also like to note on an emotional level I also feel very good. Things that may have been unresolved w/cb #1 have been resolved through cb #2. I'm happy to feel clear.

Especially nice to feel clear when dh and I are talking about #3.

So I'm here thinking about #3, a VBA2C and another planned C.
#6 of 168 Old 04-02-2004, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

<So I'm here thinking about #3, a VBA2C and another planned C. >

I forget ladylee, but what lead you to the first two csections.
Did you choose/plan the second one? And if so, why are you now considering a VBA2C?

I am thinking about no.4 (one of my children is adopted) I am thinking either this fall or next, more likely Fall of 2005. I have thought that if I had baby 4 in the right positioning, head presenting against the cervix, that I would attempt a trial of labor at least but then I have begun reading that the risks are greater if you go into labor, do not succeed and do go on to a csection.
My last C/B was so great that I would hate to go into another "unplanned" one -- especially if I was worn out from laboring or if I ended up there due to complications. That frightens me more than a VBAC, especially since I had a relatively easy recovery from the last csection.
If I can plan the next child ( heee heee we know how that goes) then my youngest would be over 4. Plenty of healing time, plenty of time for me to emotionally prepare for another pregnancy, and my children be old enough to be cared for more easily while I Was in the hospital. One of my reasons for planing last time was because I was able to arrange child care for my daughter,5 and my then 17m old son.

Kim
#7 of 168 Old 04-03-2004, 12:34 AM

checking in!

Analisa, Mama to Meg 12/12/01, Patrick 12/24/03, Catherine 12/24/03, Ben 2/26/06
#8 of 168 Old 04-03-2004, 02:37 AM

Hi Everyone,

I am almost 7 weeks pp and post-op after my 2nd c/s. I did try to VBAC, but had to have another c/s after pushing for three hours. Trying to push out my big baby was terribly painful and impacted, and it damaged my bladder and uterus. As a result I lost a large amount of blood during surgery which dropped my healthy hemeglobin levels down to 90. But we are all in good shape now, healthy and almost healed up. I feel good about having tried to VBAC (because I now KNOW that it wasn't possible!), but had I known how it was going to go I would have opted for a ERCS. Oh, for a crystal ball!

I will add that trying for a VBAC was an anxiety-laden choice for me. I worried about it a lot, probably because I am knowldgable about labour and delivery (i've worked in this area for years) and I knew that I'd have very little control over anything: who I'd get as doc on call, what her/his philosophy would be, which nurse I'd get, when I'd go into labour, how child care would work out for my elder child, etc, etc, etc. Scheduling a c/s was at least a way to have a bit of control, if you KWIM.
#9 of 168 Old 04-04-2004, 06:33 PM

I was feeling so good last week but now am feeling slightly sore again. (I think I've been trying to do too much-and btw I never did start exercising as I decided to hold off until 6 weeks to be sure after all)

Anyways is it normal to have a burning feeling under your incision (on the inside) that's what I've been feeling alot of latley and figured it was just the muscles healing...what do you all think? is this common or should I be concerned?

when does it get easier to bend over btw? I find just picking stuff up off the floor the WORST but feel like a dope asking DH to always come get something I dropped:

#10 of 168 Old 04-04-2004, 09:11 PM

Welcome sandrajoon-thanks for sharing your story. I'm so glad you and your baby are well!

Hi rainbowmoon-I had similar sensations under the incision at that stage. I think things got much easier after 2.5-3 months for me-you're not that far away, I bet. With each of my cesareans it was really good to reach that point-it definitely helped lift my spirits as well! You're very smart to continue getting DH to help-and I'm with you also re: exercise-no rush with that either!
#11 of 168 Old 04-04-2004, 09:18 PM

Just checking in to say hello.

I'm feeling pretty good mentally this week but my external incision/scar has been itching like mad. And ds keeps kicking me there at night, so I'm a little tender, too. But otherwise, things are generally good here!

As for OTF's question ... I had little provider choice due to ins. issues, so I got stuck going to a hosp. w/ a high c/b rate, but mainly due to the fact that they also handle A LOT of high risk pgs (high multiples, pre-e, etc.) and have a fantastic NICU. That said, now that I have different ins., I'll be going to a hosp. w/a lower c/b rate next time, although since I live in NJ (which has the 2nd highest c/b rate in the US), a lower c/b rate isn't saying much.

BTW ... I think I found a VBAC attending midwife for next time. I know of about 5 people who used her and loved her ("a great birth partner"), and she is supposedly very pro-VBAC! Woo-hoo!
#12 of 168 Old 04-04-2004, 11:17 PM

Wonderful c/s birth plan--thanks so much for posting it!

I went in to L&D Friday night for monitoring as I was having crampy contx. that turned out to be nothing but I was so scared. I'm on a limited activity requirement now which has been nice--I tend to overdo it--but it's also frustrating. I can't wait to see the OB on the 13th--seems so far off--because I really really want to know how he intends on managing this. I know so much, now, about vasa previa (enough to be really really frightened) but not a whole lot on how my case will be handled. I did read something tonight that said women with vasa previa are usually hospitalized at some point in their pregnancy and the majority do tend to have some bleeding, most often between week 30 and 35.

I am entering my 29th week. :

I just wish I knew what was in store for me. And I do but I don't, too. I remember relishing the bh contx. the last three times because I knew that meant things were "moving." but this time they scare me--getting things moving could be dangerous.
#13 of 168 Old 04-05-2004, 02:01 AM

I'm new over to these boards (I'm mostly at the P&B JAB boards), and I am sitting here crying at the idea of a C/S support thread. What a wonderful thing to read.

I had my unplanned (because really, it wasn't yet an emergency, and I certainly saw it coming) c/s 40 hours after my water broke in December. I'm still not altogether right. I'm weepy, and my incision itches when I have salty foods or before AF... My appetite still hasn't returned, and I love food. I eat, but it's mostly because my hubby makes dinner, not because I think of it.

Does that all sound normal for 15 weeks ppd?

Also, thanks above for sharing your VBAC story that led to a c/s... We're planning to try for #2 this summer, and I'm feeling sort of unhappily resolved to a scheduled c... Your story helps me feel a little better about it.
#14 of 168 Old 04-05-2004, 04:20 PM

Welcome, FisherB! What date was your c-birth? Mine was 12/24, sounds like yours was very close to that...I also like to hang out at the P&B JAB boards.

Analisa, Mama to Meg 12/12/01, Patrick 12/24/03, Catherine 12/24/03, Ben 2/26/06
#15 of 168 Old 04-05-2004, 04:45 PM

Hi Fisherb, Welcome to the board!

It does sound like you might be going through some post partum depression - the no appetite and weepy things are flags. Do you have someone you can talk to about your feelings and experience? Like a helpful community health nurse, midwife, doctor, support group? Of course we are here, too, but an IRL person can be pretty helpful.

And can you tell me what the P&B JAB boards are? Sounds like the peanut butter and jam board!

BTW I posted above about my VBAC try - if you want to chat feel free to PM me

Sandra
#16 of 168 Old 04-05-2004, 04:53 PM

hey, I just discovered this thread.

I don't really feel the need for "support" since my C-birth was nothing but a positive experience for me, but I admit to feeling a bit tickled to find a place where I can talk about it openly. Not that anybody has ever made me feel bad about it here, but I just feel sometimes that I shouldn't be so happy about my scheduled C/S, kwim?

Anyways, I didn't research the C/S rates of my hospital b/c I knew all along I was having a scheduled C/S. My OB actually tried to convince me to try for a vaginal birth first, and that actually made me feel really good about using her. I would probably have wondered if she had just gone along with it without trying to convince me otherwise, lol.

So, I chose my hospital accordingly. I made sure that they had good policies in place for C-section mamas. They set up a mirror for me to see the birth, something that was so important to me, but then when I was in the operating room it didn't seem such a big deal, lol. As soon as she was out, DH cut her cord, and she was swaddled, they handed her to DH and he held her next to my face while they sewed me up. We were taken together to the recovery room where I was with her for 2 hours and encouraged to BF (not that I needed prodding, lol). She stayed in my room the whole time, and slept in my bed with me, too. I recovered really quickly and was walking around that evening.

With this one I have thought about waiting to go into labour first, but I have decided not to bother. I'm very sure about my conception dates for one thing, and also I think it just brings too many complications into the picture - what if I go fast? I would not want a hurried or emergency C/S! Scheduling sounds so awful, I know, but there are so many wonderful perks to it - like being able to arrange childcare for my toddler, etc. 'Course, there's always a possibility I'd go into labour before my scheduled date, but that's okay with me. I so respect women who attempt a VBAC - I simply don't want to venture into the unknown when my first birth was such a wonderful experience. Call me chicken but it's the truth!

So there, that's my story!

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#17 of 168 Old 04-05-2004, 05:48 PM

Piglet-

It's about time you got over here. I have seen you mention your c-birth elsewhere on the board, and always appreciate your matter-of-fact way of talking about it- good for you!

Even though your first experience was great- I suggest sticking around here to help others feel good/positive about theirs too .

Fisherb-

I agree that it sounds like you *may* have some PPD happening there, do you have a husband/partner who could help you assess how you are doing? I know my dh is often better at knowing when I am in need of help than I am.

:Patty :fireman Catholic, intactalactivist, co-sleeping, GDing, HSing, no-vax Mama to .........................:..........hale:
#18 of 168 Old 04-05-2004, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

Glad you joined us Piglet.

I think its great you are scheduling your csection. I personally believe, based on the amount of research I've done that if you are going to have a csection then you should schedule it. There are far less complications. Plus, I think why not??? especially if you know your dates.
#19 of 168 Old 04-05-2004, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Piglet68
hey, I just discovered this thread.

I don't really feel the need for "support" since my C-birth was nothing but a positive experience for me, but I admit to feeling a bit tickled to find a place where I can talk about it openly. Not that anybody has ever made me feel bad about it here, but I just feel sometimes that I shouldn't be so happy about my scheduled C/S, kwim?
I don't feel that I need "support" either I am very very very happy with the outcome of my last c/b. I like this thread because I can ask questions pertaining to c/b related things without getting a load of other info that I either already know or don't care about Like this question below

What do I do with this skin flap???

Ok, first off I hate how it just hangs there. It looks so gross. I know I would probably move down a pant size if it weren't there. My butt is way baggy in my jeans but my skin flap takes up a lot of room!

Secondly, it stinks! Not that it is infected but from the skin rubbing. It gets hot and sticky. Is there anything I can put on it to make it not so gross??

Third, will it ever go away?? I'm planning a tummy tuck once we are for sure done with kids. I'mnot getting it because of the skin flap but because of the extra skin that has no elasticity in it because I stretched so far with my first pregnancy.

Fourth....it just annoys me!!!

Single Mom to 2 amazing little men. T(7) and B(5)
#20 of 168 Old 04-05-2004, 08:50 PM

Just found out I will not be having a ncb after all, due to a number of factors. ZERO effaced or dialated, not even soft, baby's heartrate showing some stress, continued hyperemesis throughout pregnancy making it difficult to conceive of going any longer, baby seems to be malpositioned a bit, and...15 days overdue! LOL can you tell I feel the need to justify why we are having a c-section tomorrow?

I'm glad to find this thread, because I'm feeling really really down about it...and betrayed by my body which is supposed to know "what to do". I've had absolutely no sign of anything impending, but this so bums me out...I could really use your prayers/thoughts for tomorrow. 12:30 PST.

Thank you!

Rachel

P.S. Bradley teacher/doula was kinda rough on me when I told her...seems she thinks I should go for the 2 day induction or wait it out another week or so. I really hope I won't encounter this for the rest of my life, because I already feel like I've "given up" on a ncb.
#21 of 168 Old 04-05-2004, 09:25 PM

Hey all -

My first post here - my ds was born by C-section on Wednesday. A surprise - dd was vaginal, I had *great* early labor, and during transition he turned posterior. Pushed for a couple of hours, the mw and her two OB partners tried really hard to turn him, but no go. He was 9 pounds, 9 ounces (!) so that may have been why.

FWIW, I'm feeling really good about the whole thing. A little wierded out by my incision, but bf is going well and I'm tired but not exhausted.

Part of me is waiting for the other shoe to drop, emotionally, but for the moment I'm just home with the baby, hanging out, feeling pretty good all around. I'm looking forward to having this safe space to be in for a while.

Penelope

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#22 of 168 Old 04-05-2004, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter

Rachel

I am so sorry you are disappointed about not getting a natural birth, but I have some other things to say to you.

One, I hope you took a look at my birthplan. I hope you read this thread before tomorrow AM. You can have a wonderful birth tomorrow. Maybe not your ideal birth, but a wonderful one. Try not to let the disappointment affect the way you heal or th welcoming of your baby.

Tomorrow, your baby will be born - and I think that is so exciting you get to meet him.

I personally would never go past 2 weeks. I've read enough to know that after 42 weeks there are greater risks to you and your baby. Knowing several people who lost babies or who had severe problems due to being over due (one woman waiting till 44 weeks) I think you are doing the right thing by going to the hospital tomorrow and having the csection.

Also your bradley teacher was wrong to give you grief. You are 42 plus weeks pregnant, your baby is show distress, you have no dilation and you have been sick as a dog! (which I also had hypermesis) Why would you put a distressed baby under an induction or continue to wait? What does this woman want you to wait for? It just pissed me off to no end that someone who is supposed to support you, gives you grief the day before your bith. Since I know lots of birth educators and doulas read this thread I hope they read what I am saying and take it to heart!

Take a boppy with you, enjoy your baby -- ask to see him after he is born and let them hold him up on your chest for you. Get good pain relief. And just be in the moment and how wonderful it will be to meet that little one who has been baking for 10 moons.

Take care sweetie!
Kim
#23 of 168 Old 04-05-2004, 09:49 PM

Quote:

P.S. Bradley teacher/doula was kinda rough on me when I told her...seems she thinks I should go for the 2 day induction or wait it out another week or so. I really hope I won't encounter this for the rest of my life, because I already feel like I've "given up" on a ncb. [/B]
IMo, don't worry about it. I was induced for a week (2-3 times a day, talk about torture) and it barely got me to a centimeter dilated (I had my section at 43 weeks). I don't think it's inconceivable that some women's bodies have a harder time going into labour. My son came out mature, he was ready to come out. Some people may be comfortable going to 44 weeks plus, but if you're having other problems, don't feel you have to justify it.
#24 of 168 Old 04-05-2004, 10:12 PM

Rachel

Not to minimize your disappointment , but YEAH! Your baby is going to be born tomorrow- congratulations early!

:

I will be praying for a beautiful birth for you, health and a happy babymoon to come!

:Patty :fireman Catholic, intactalactivist, co-sleeping, GDing, HSing, no-vax Mama to .........................:..........hale:
#25 of 168 Old 04-05-2004, 11:58 PM

P&B JAB

#26 of 168 Old 04-06-2004, 02:08 AM

Just wanted to say thanks to the support you all mentioned before... This is a great thread --- a little chaotic, but great. It's like a whole sub-forum tucked into one thread!

Anyway, I haven't ever asked DH directly about PPD... There have been so many changes in our lives since the birth (12/17, btw), that I think he attributes so much to that... I laugh, I really enjoy the baby... These are things that led us to believe I don't have ppd. I'll ask him tomorrow, though. I may even ask him to read up a bit, then answer... He'll be up for that -- he's good like that.

I'll keep reading. Thank you all, again.
#27 of 168 Old 04-06-2004, 10:23 AM

Thank you, thank you all for your support. It makes me feel like I am getting from all of you. I am convinced that it's the right decision for us, and you're all right...there's no need to justify that!

Onthefence-I did read your birth plan and have adapted it to my situation and printed out 2 copies. Thank you so much, I would never have thought about some of that stuff without it.

I will report back as soon as I can.

Penelope, just wanted to say it sounds like you are doing great! Hope you keep posting.

Rachel
#28 of 168 Old 04-06-2004, 11:04 AM

I'll write a huge response later, I just want to say howdy to all the new folks, especially everyone who just had a cesarean or is about to have one! And a big hug!

You don't have to be traumatized by a cesarean or gleeful about one to be here; you just have to be part of the circle, if you get what I mean!
#29 of 168 Old 04-06-2004, 11:22 AM

My feeling is this: birth should not be so medicalized in this country. All women should be taught confidence in their bodies abilities. Women should be informed. Women should be supported 100% in their efforts to have as natural a birth as possible.

But....when all is said and done and a C/S seems the way to go, I think it's nice to be able to say hey, you know what? It's really not a bad experience at all. Especially if you birth in a progressive hospital, it can be a very pleasant experience.

I know this is so "un-MDC" to say, but...

there's alot to be said for no labour, lol.

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#30 of 168 Old 04-06-2004, 11:52 AM

Hi mamas! wow it's great to see this thread so busy!

Penelope-welcome & congrats mama! I just had a c/b a month ago and alot of what you wrote I can relate too even your labor and birth sounds alot like mine! This is a wonderful circle of sisters btw..

Rachel- (my fellow march mama) I'm sending you lots of love and positive energy. I agree with kkmama, a c/b (as I found out) doesn't necessarily mean a traumatic birth IMHO. I'm sorry your bradley teacher and doula are giving you grief over this, the thing is it's YOUR birth not thiers so don't take it to heart. Enjoy your baby sweetie!

I think the strangest emotion I had during my c/s was right before the surgery after I had made the decision. I felt a overwhelming sense of *relief*. it really took me by surprise as I had always pictured myself hysterical & dissapointed when I thought of me having a c/s..turns out it was DH who was (he actually had to leave the hospital & go outside and compose himself-poor guy)

so about birth control...I'm sort of at a loss..we had planned to TTC right away after this babe but now feel we should definitly wait a bit to let my body heal. what is the general consensus on when you should TTC after a csection? How long did you mamas wait that had previous c/b's? I have heard a year but was not told anything concrete.. I am definitly going to try for a VBAC though my current MW's sort of freaked when we told them we wanted to get preggers again fairly soon and this was before the c/s,they were not very supportive at all and even went as far as to downplay BF during PG and tandem nursing.wtf?!? (needless to say I'm looking for a new MW) Anyway I absolutley hate most forms of birth control and it took me 9 months to get preggers, but I just don't want to risk it until I'm fully healed so I'm going to get fitted for a diaphram next week. yuck. hopefully this will work out though.:

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page