Prolonged ROM = "extra crispy" looking baby? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 03-05-2011, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My son was born at 41w5d with a good amount of vernix still coating him and babies in my family are all born 41-43+ weeks. So needless to say I was surprised when my daughter was born at 40w2d by my estimate (39w5d by my EDD). She, however, was born with lots of peeling and very wrinkly (little old lady hands!).

Now, I did likely have ROM for a week prior to the birth (very, very little to the point that we really weren't sure and it was only maybe three times in the week leading up to the obvious ROM), possibly as much as a month before (again, same very little but only once or twice). There was definite ROM over 48 (possibly closer to 55-60) hours before she was born with lots of periodic gushes during all but the last 12-18ish hours of that time. 

So, I was wondering, could that account for her being "extra crispy"? I was thinking maybe the ROM is why she was born so early and maybe that's also why she was so wrinkly. I just can't seem to wrap my head around a baby in our family being fully cooked so early. orngtongue.gif

- Emy . Single mom to DS nut.gif Ezra (15.12.05), angel2.gif Thames (reincarnated 18.04.08) and DD rainbow1284.gif babyf.gif Allora (11.02.11) and dog2.gif Hoppylactivist.gif  novaxnocirc.gif  waterbirth.jpg fambedsingle2.gif bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#2 of 3 Old 03-09-2011, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

bump!orngbiggrin.gif

- Emy . Single mom to DS nut.gif Ezra (15.12.05), angel2.gif Thames (reincarnated 18.04.08) and DD rainbow1284.gif babyf.gif Allora (11.02.11) and dog2.gif Hoppylactivist.gif  novaxnocirc.gif  waterbirth.jpg fambedsingle2.gif bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#3 of 3 Old 03-09-2011, 05:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I definitely don't have an expert opinion on this, but I'd say it's a good possibility it could be from leaking, even a little, up to a month early.  How did your placenta look?  If it was healthy looking, then I'd definitely say it was from the early ROM.  If was also a little dried out, maybe she was just ready a lot earlier than you expected.

Mama to three

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page