Crazy prodromal for last 3 weeks- losing my mind!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 03-08-2011, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This is my third baby after a gap of 8 years. My first two labors were slow and very easy right up until transition. With my first I had several hours of labor, went to the hospital, got from 3 cm to 5 cm and stalled. They sent me home to rest and relax, it ended up being 2 weeks until labor started up again. With my second I had a more typical labor.

So about 3 weeks ago, at 37 weeks, I woke up early in the morning thinking for sure I was in labor. I woke up DH, and we packed up a bunch of stuff to take to the birth center, and went about our day. I was having uncomfortable contractions that I could feel in the front and back, every 3 minutes, about a minute long, for several hours. Eventually they started spacing out and by that evening they were pretty much gone.

For the next couple of weeks I had shorter periods of very regular, uncomfortable contractions. They are usually about 3 -4 min apart, and between 30-75 seconds. This usually lasts a couple of hours before dying out.

As of Friday I was 3.5 cm, 80% effaced, with a posterior cervix. I had my membranes swept that day.

Saturday I started getting stronger contractions around 1 pm, as I was waking up from a nap. I was determined not to get excited, so we went about our day, taking the kids and dog for a walk. When I finally timed the contractions around 3 pm, they were 2 min apart, 1 min long. They were strong enough that I could not ignore them at all, but I could talk and walk through them. DH could tell when I was getting them even though I was attempting to play it cool. The baby felt lower and I was beginning to feel a lot of pressure. We got in the car to go home and during contractions it was impossible to sit still because of the pressure, but could still talk through them. I called my midwife, she said to call her when it was harder to talk through them. We got home and the contractions got strong enough that I couldn't walk through them, and had to lean over and grab something and rock a bit. I thought for sure this was it, and was about 10 min away from walking out the door to the birth center when they started to ease up. Within an hour they were spacing apart and no more pressure.

I was completely exhausted for much of the next day after all this, and feeling like a crazy person. Now I am at my due date, really bummed to not have had this baby yet, very uncomfortable as the baby feels so low in my pelvis, and getting a little depressed.

A midwife at the practice, not my usual one, told me that if I made it to 41 weeks she could break my water to get labor started. I am very hesitant to do this, but do not want to go over 42 weeks and have to go to the regular labor and delivery unit!

I am more tempted, if I have another mini-labor session like Saturday's, to go in and have my water broken if I am pretty well dilated, not sure HOW well dilated really, just to keep things moving. I am still worried about this, though, so have made no decisions.

I am also really nervous about not knowing when I should actually go in, call DH and my kids to come home, etc.

Any advice would be appreciated, I am just so miserable and confused!

Mama to 3 awesome girls: DD1 born 2001, DD2 born 2002, DD3 born March 2011

#2 of 8 Old 03-11-2011, 10:37 AM

I just saw this and couldn't not respond. I had about a month of prodromal labor with my second baby and it was miserable! The actual labor was about 90 minutes, start to finish, and I think it was so short because my body had been preparing for weeks. I had her at one day past 40 weeks.

Sending you easy labor prayers! Hang in there, mama. You're very close to meeting your baby! joy.gif

Loving wife partners.gif and mama to my sweet little son coolshine.gif (Fall 2008) and a beautiful baby girl babyf.gif(Fall 2010)

When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty. --George Bernard Shaw

#3 of 8 Old 03-11-2011, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Peainthepod!

#4 of 8 Old 03-13-2011, 10:14 PM

No worries, mama! How are you feeling today?

Loving wife partners.gif and mama to my sweet little son coolshine.gif (Fall 2008) and a beautiful baby girl babyf.gif(Fall 2010)

When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty. --George Bernard Shaw

#5 of 8 Old 03-14-2011, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter

Great! I had my baby in a super fast labor on Saturday! So glad to hold her and not be pregnant.

#6 of 8 Old 03-14-2011, 08:46 AM

Congratulations! joy.gif

#7 of 8 Old 03-14-2011, 10:33 AM

congratulations. 

orngbiggrin.gif mom of three with stork-suprise.gif on the way

#8 of 8 Old 03-18-2011, 10:28 AM

Congrats!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page