help me process my birth story - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 03-11-2011, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

my lo is 13 months old and for some reason around 12 months i have been thinking a lot about her birth. i think immediately after her birth i just felt like "ok, my birth plan went down the tubes but she's here safe and i enjoyed my birth experience so it doesn't matter". but now i'm thinking about someday having a second child and i have this feeling of anxiety like "i REALLY want to have the kind of labor & delivery that i planned for my first (as little medical intervention as possible & no pain meds)".

here's the cliff's notes on my birth story:

water broke on my due date. fair amount of meconium in the water, no real ctx. we headed to the hospital where they said b/c of the meconium they wanted to induce "in case the baby was in trouble". pitocin, internal monitoring, ctx are looking good, i am handling pain just fine but after 21 hours of labor i had only dilated to 4cm. dr. on call starts to talk cs if i don't start to progress. after discussion with nurses and dh we decide to try an epidural to see if that will speed dilation. i have the epidural and in less than 2 hours i am fully dilated, push for 30 min and have my perfect daughter in my arms.

my issues with how things went:

internal monitoring & being tethered to iv was unpleasant

i didn't get to feel much as my daughter was coming out

dh and i took 40 hours of natural birthing/hypnobirthing classes and i feel like i didn't get to fully use them

i really believe the effect of the epidural was a contributing factor to us have a very rough start to nursing

what i have to be thankful for:

neither dd or i experienced any medical issues during l&d

dd is perfect

i didn't have a cs

i keep turning it over in my head, thinking about whether i could have done something differently.

could i have done something differently?

any advice on how to mentally get over this hump?

Breastfeeding nerd. ttc #2!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 03-12-2011, 01:46 PM

I'm a bit in the same boat. My DD who will be 14 months in a few days was born after a 36 hours induced  labor. Like you, things didn't go has I had wanted, starting of course with the induction. I don't think I could have done anything differently except maybe having a homebirth next time. I think that once you enter the hospital, it's all a combination of circumstances that make your birth go the way it did. I think you just have to be better equiped next time, more knowledgeable and try and have a homebirth....

Memz, with mylove.gif and mommy  of babygirl.gif born 01/17/10 and 3 cat.gif familybed1.gifsaynovax.giffly-by-nursing1.gif

***4** *8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36**stork-boy.gif40

#3 of 3 Old 03-15-2011, 03:15 PM

It really sounds like you made the best decisions you could with the information you had at the time. 

Could things have been doen differently and given you a different result?  Maybe, but there is no real way to know.  Maybe look for a midwife for your next birth?  I know my mw (hospital practicing CNM) doesn't induce just b/c waters have been broken for x amount of hours, but the meconium in your situation does add a complication to that.

Baking mama to dd (7.5), ds (6), ds (3.5) and someone new in April

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page