Midwife and doula - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-21-2011, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So for my next birth I'll hopefully have a midwife and homebirth. My question is for my first birth which was in the hospital I had a doula that I loved, I couldn't have done it without her. But I was wondering if I'm having a homebirth with a midwife, would I also need a doula? What would be the reasons for having both?

Memz, with mylove.gif and mommy  of babygirl.gif born 01/17/10 and 3 cat.gif familybed1.gifsaynovax.giffly-by-nursing1.gif

***4** *8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36**stork-boy.gif40

#2 of 6 Old 03-22-2011, 01:03 AM

I'm a home birth midwife and a doula is an excellent addition to the the birth team. The midwife is clinically responsible for the birth; your doula is there for YOU. Plus I'm certain your doula will be THRILLED to have a repeat client. :)

#3 of 6 Old 03-26-2011, 06:02 AM - Thread Starter

I totally agree with you jengacnm. I actually would like to have both, I was actually trying to have good arguments for my DH. He doesn't understand why we should hire both...

Memz, with mylove.gif and mommy  of babygirl.gif born 01/17/10 and 3 cat.gif familybed1.gifsaynovax.giffly-by-nursing1.gif

***4** *8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36**stork-boy.gif40

#4 of 6 Old 03-26-2011, 02:48 PM

For my birth with DS, having a doula would have been totally unnecessary. BUT, my midwife also has an apprentice to assist her (and me, she was great!) and was a doula for many years before becoming a midwife. So I think the comforting aspect of her care may have been greater than some midwives I've heard of here.

However, If you loved your doula, and can afford to have both, I would! You already know that your doula provides the kind of care and comfort you like.

Wife to DH geek.gif, mom to DS (4/09), and DD (8/11)fly-by-nursing2.gif, and crafty and hardworking in my own right!  In my parenting journey I've  delayedvax.gif, signcirc1.gif, familybed2.gif, h20homebirth.gif, andcd.gif.  To each family their own!!

"There are words for people like me, but I don't think there are very many."

#5 of 6 Old 03-26-2011, 06:25 PM

Here's the analogy I give: I consider myself a lifeguard. The doula is your swim coach, right there in the water with you. In a perfect world, neither of us are needed. I can certainly coach as part of my work as a lifeguard, but when it comes down to it, my job is to keep mom and baby safe. In an emergency, when my skills are most needed, is when I'm the least able to be a coach. Also in an emergency, my assistant is my assistant and not your coach.

HTH!

#6 of 6 Old 03-26-2011, 06:52 PM

This is a really good question and one i pondered throughout my last pregnancy and the bottom line is YOU CANT GO WRONG HIRING A LABOR DOULA!   I am a postpartum doula and i belong to a group of doulas - pp and labor - so i have so many friends and aquaintance's who are labor doulas - i felt a little 'on the spot' when it came to picking one to hire. 

My last home birth (12 years ago) was about as smooth and easy as a birth could be - my midwife's assistant came early and acted as my doula - it really was a great birth and i was convinced this one would be the same way...not so!

This time, the labor was far more intense, my midwife was not great with comfort measures - her assistant was even worse.  Although it was a short labor, i spent most of it thrashing around in my birth pool howling "no no no!"  like a petulant 2 yr old.  I could have REALLY USED a labor doula!  You never know what kind of labor you are going to have ...and hiring a doula is a little like preparing for the worst.  You might have  quick easy birth and not really need her....but if not, you need the help only a doula can provide.  My DH was very cost conscious this pregnancy too - but i feel the cost of a labor doula is WELL WORTH IT!

Happy at Home Mama to DD 4/95 DS 4/98 and DS#2 8/10  femalesling.GIF        h20homebirth.gif       sewmachine.gif

http://www.etsy.com/shop/motherhendoula

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page