Hip Labor - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-25-2011, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Well, this chiro was great!  She asked a lot of questions and listened really well.  She felt like what I described was a nerve thing.  Like the baby may have been resting on my sacrum (and an nerve I guess) in a way that affected the nerves that branch out to the hips.  She asked if I had a tipped uterus because that would exacerbate the scenario.  I've never been told that my uterus is tipped, but I will be sure to ask my doctor next week at the vaginal exam.

She thought my hips were aligned nicely and that my SI joint and hips moved around really well.  My piriformis is tight and she suggested that if we can keep that in good shape (with muscle work) that I should be fine.  So I am scheduled to have muscle work done at the end of the week and then she'll check my hips at the end of each session.  She also felt strongly about adjusting the upper middle back  - I told her that sitting on the ball is painful because as my hips wobble I have to really use my upper back and shoulders to keep me stabilized.  She said she always adjusts the upper middle back in pregnant women for that very reason (loose hips that cause us to compensate by tensing our shoulders).

She felt my uterus and said that she couldn't say with 100% certainty, but that she was pretty darn sure that the baby was head down and on my right...now I'm not sure how to tell if that ROA or ROP.  But, I am relieved that she felt so certain she was at least head down.

Although I'm still pretty confused about what caused the hip labor and whether or not it will happen again....posterior? asynclitic? nerve issue?  I would give anything to be able to understand and prevent my hip labor.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2011, 10:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I gave birth to my first on the 12 of sept... and i thought my legs were goug to fall off. the pain in my hips radiated through my body, and i couldnt do anything. every postion put pressure on it making it worse. i wish i knew how to prevnt it. id like just contractions pover that again!!

Old 10-28-2011, 11:30 AM

Ah, I see this discussion has been going on for a long time.  My daughter was born in 2007 via Cesarean.  My labor went 46 hours at home before the surgeon cut her out.  She was posterior, I took a long time to dilate, the back labor was intense... but the hip labor, OMG.  My right hip was on fire and locked up in contracture.  I could barely walk because I couldn't lift up my leg to take a step.  The midwives had me changing position all the time... they really wanted me on my side with my leg in the air but I couldn't handle the pain in that position and I told them in no uncertain terms that there was no way in hell I was doing that again.

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

Old 10-28-2011, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn.mama View Post
... they really wanted me on my side with my leg in the air but I couldn't handle the pain in that position and I told them in no uncertain terms that there was no way in hell I was doing that again.

That pain was horrible--and I had an epidural by that time!!  It only ended once he moved down past my hip. Oh, did it HURT.

hearts.gif(6), energy.gif(4.5),  diaper.gif (2) and  IT'S A babygirl.gif!!!!  ~9/24/12~ vbac.gifwaterbirth.jpg

Old 10-28-2011, 05:06 PM

I pushed her crowning for 8 hours and she wouldn't budge, even with lots and lots of position changes and help from gravity.  I'm just hoping that this next baby can get lined up better due to lots of rolfing/chiro care, and acupuncture on demand.  Both my rolfer and acupuncturist have volunteered to attend this birth... baby is due in February.  So far this pregnancy my hips/pubis are ALOT more comfortable... so I'm hoping!

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

Old 11-13-2012, 01:59 PM

I dug up this old post by googling extreme hip pain/hip labor. I'm at 38 weeks, so it's probably wishful thinking to be in labor, but wow my hips are kiling me today. The baby is rockin' and rollin', corkscrewing down in my pelvic area and I can barely walk.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:37 PM

Well...I can certainly relate.  With my first labor, I referred to the feeling as "frankenhips"...it was like I had two GIANT screws in my hips and they were being bashed with a sludge hammer, and THOSE were my contractions.  It was awful.  I couldn't move, either.  I always think back and wonder if it would have HELPED if I forced myself to move, but it was too horrid, I stayed in the same position for hours because it hurt so bad to even think about budging.

That said, I haven't experienced one bit of that since then, with my 2 other labors.  It was a very different environment, though (I was at home, unassisted, did exactly what my body wanted/needed, etc).  I also labored almost exclusively on my exercise ball with my knees pressed against the cabinets (I labor at the bathroom vanity each time) to spread my legs apart as far as they go, so I have that extra open pelvis from the ball and that position. 

My son was likely asynclictic for about 6 hours after reaching complete dilation (3 hours in), and it didn't cause the same hip trouble I had with DD1.

Me (27) DH (30)...9 Years

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Praying our April 2013 baby sticks!! joy.gif

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

Old 11-22-2012, 09:08 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Have you visited a prenatal chiro? Mine can loosen the ligaments in your pelvis and buttocks and it really helped me in my second labor. I was pretty maladjusted (10cm with no descent for five full hours)  with my first. Both were posterior labors with rotating babies but it was a hell of a lot easier on us both when things were loose.

Old 12-02-2012, 10:39 AM

Holy cow, I just stumbled across this thread and I'm so glad I did! When I had my first, the nurses and MW thought I was crazy because I kept moaning over the bone crushing pain I felt in my hips...they totally didn't get it when I told them it didn't really come and go with contractions.  That was seriously awful.  I did have an epidural, and it that pain didn't start until I laid down after being poked.  It was horrible pain, and everyone just thought it was my contractions.  The epidural was spotty, and it was just that spot that I could feel on my right hip.  My labor was really long and it took me almost 5 hours to push my little guy out.  I remember hearing an loud "POP!" noise at one point (which ended up being my tailbone), and it was only at that point did DS really start descending down the birth canal.  Wow, so glad to know that I'm not alone in this, and that it's a rare thing! Although i'm now worried since I read a little further up about the tipped uterus maybe contributing...I do have a tipped uterus.  I am definitely going to try the things mentioned above to avoid that scenario again!

Mommy to DS born 11-10-10  wave.gifAnd DD born 6-3-13 baby.gif  

Old 12-21-2012, 08:14 PM

Just stumbled on this via Google... I had the hip and uppe leg pain/tenson you're all describing, and both intensified with contractions such that my hips' pain was unbearable without STRONG counter-pressure from each side. My poor DH and doula worked hard for me for hours! It seemed to disappear with transition for me, and by the time I was pushing I felt no pain whatsoever (till ring of fire).

I have a needle phobia, but it sounds like I ought to get re-acquainted wih my chiro. I've never heard of webster, will have to look that up. Induced last time with Pitocin which required fetal monitoring, which only worked if I layed still in bed (!) and we're planning a home birth to avoid interventions this time, so hopefully positions and a tub and gravity will provide some relief if I'm faced with similar discomfort this go-round. Thanks for all the tips, ladies!

Cady, wife to Patrick (8/2/03) partners.gif and mother to Bradley (11/24/09) jog.gif and little bean (edd 5/31/13) 2ndtri.gif.  Planning our first home birth and looking for any information and advice on the subject!

Old 12-21-2012, 09:04 PM

I had horrible, crippling hip pain during the end of my active labour/beginning pushing stage with my first baby. The pain was unbelievable and nothing seemed to help, my husband tried squeezing my hips together, rubbing my legs, etc and it just hurt so much. My baby was born normal presentation.

During labour with my second baby, I was TERRIFIED waiting for the hip labour to start. My second baby was posterior through the entire labour and ended up being born sunny side up (possibly because I had anterior placenta) I experienced back labour during that labour but the back labour pain was much more tolerable the the hip labour I experienced with my first.

I am pregnant again and am going to stalk this thread. I really do not want to experience that again if I can help it.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:38 PM

I am so glad I found this thread. I had the exact pain you described on my right hip in my labor with my daughter 2 years ago. I have a high pain tolerance, and handled the contractions fine, but I began having mild hip pain about 15 hours into my 30 hour labor. It became severe to the point where I could not feel the contractions. Got the epidural at 6 for the hip pain, not the contractions. It helped for a while until pushing, and then it came back full force and the epidural couldn't cut it. I ended up with a c-section because my daughter got stuck in my pelvis, around 0 to +1 station, even after  4 hours of pushing. I really think from reading this thread she was either turned the wrong way or asynclintic.

Hoping for a VBAC with this next baby, and hoping the hip pain doesn't happen again. It was a nightmare, I felt like I was losing my mind from the pain. 

I hope it was just a fluke, but the repeat stories do have me worried about possible defect in my structure that points my babies that way. I do have scoliosis and some hip uneveness.

So grateful to see I am not alone and not crazy though.

Old 01-12-2013, 06:38 AM

No not alone and not crazy!  It was very frustrating during my labor when I knew the nurses and Dr. thought the pain was just contractions.  But the contractions were hard and hurt, but they came and went.  The hip pain stayed for hours at a time and I remember not being able to escape it.  The contractions, I could ride them out but the hip pain controlled me.  I've noticed quite a few posters on this thread saying how the pushing phase took a long time.I was lucky and I only needed to push a few times. 

caffix.gif

Old 12-15-2013, 11:47 PM

Im so glad I found this! my daughter is almost a year old and I am still not over my labor experience. I pushed for 4 hours in the most extreme pain I have ever felt. All in the left hip.. The epidural worked great and it would have just been a long labor but the pain in my hip was unbearable. I am terrified it will happen again if we have another baby. I have tried to look up info on hip labor and can't find much info.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:31 AM

Good to feel that you aren't crazy, huh? FWIW I just had my second child a few months ago.  Nearly had her in the car because I didn't think I was in labor yet, since it didn't hurt very much.  No hip pain, no back pain; she was in a great position, came out in three pushes.  I tried to be more aware of my posture this time around, and I would say it worked wonders.  So unless you have a problem with your bones (which happens), you are not destined to have horrible labors forever.  Yay!

Mommy to DS born 11-10-10  wave.gifAnd DD born 6-3-13 baby.gif  

Old 12-19-2013, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Just wanted to update:

Baby number two was posterior but NO HIP LABOR at all!  I think it had to do with my consistent chiro adjustments and releasing tight tendons in abdomen, but, who knows.  In fact, as contractions came harder and faster, I kept putting off going to hospital because labor didn't feel hard enough yet.  It never did get hard!  (challenging, yes, but totally manageable.)  Baby was almost born in the car because I couldn't control the urge to push.  Once we checked they confirmed that I was indeed 10 cm dilated and baby came out about 15 minutes after we had arrived.

SO!  Hip labor once, doesn't necessarily mean your pelvis or uterus is messed up and cause hip labor the next time.  And even though my child was posterior, I didn't have back labor at all.  My tips to any mom wanting to avoid it is to focus a LOT on baby's fetal position.  Try hard to get them into the right position and have your abdomen palpated to check.  Practice lots of squats and get yourself to the chiropractor, preferably one who can do a little myofascial release on your uterus.

Old 03-23-2014, 06:38 PM

I had this terrible pain. Towards the end. Last hour. My son was born posterior so I don't know if this had anything to do with it? It came and went but it was the worst pain I have ever experienced. I thought my hip was broken. The only thing that helped was a nurse dug her fist into my hip and it helped some. This blog is a help. Thanks ladies for sharing. My son is 16 months old and I am still not sure if I want to do labor again. Bad 1st go at it. The hip pain was only a bit of the problems I had. We'll see.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:08 PM

Oh gosh I sincerely hope that I'm not going to experience this again. I had this with my first and ended in an emergency c-section but I attributed it to the cord being too short and wrapped around his neck 3 times so he was essentially stuck. That was the worst. pain. ever. I have a doula and midwife who are trained in rebozo so I am hoping if I experience that they could shift her. My last mw was trained in acupuncture but not this one so that won't be an option. 

Proud Mama to DS 04/23/06reading.gif DD 02/18/09 modifiedartist.gif, 2 dog2.gif, and wife to wonderfuldh_malesling.GIF and adding another baby.gif. Here's my blog: http://nessabean.blogspot.ca/

User Tag List