First they though baby was small....turns out it's big! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 04-01-2011, 05:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We had surprising news at our appointment yesterday. I had been "measuring small" for over a month, and my doctor wanted me to have an ultrasound just to check everything was ok. (it took them over a month to schedule it, which is a whole other story....) I'm 5 7' and pre-pregnancy weighed 118 pounds, so I'm not a big person, and it seemed not surprising that I wouldn't have a huge baby. So I had the ultrasound at 32 weeks and the baby is fine. Not just fine.....big! In a little bump I am somehow managing to grow a baby that is 2 weeks ahead size wise. Dr. said that with the calculations from the ultrasound the baby could be as big as 6 pounds. (that was last week) I'm quite surprised and it's funny to be switching from concern that the baby might be a little small to now being concerned that I will end up with a really big baby! 

Any words of comfort?? The doctor was very encouraging, and she said it's likely the baby could be around 8 pounds, which is not huge I know, but this was not at all on my radar and I feel little worried. I keep reminding myself of the wisdom that a woman rarely grows a baby she can't birth and I know it will be very important for me to find positive stories of women vaginally delivery larger babies, so I can feel confident that I can do it too!

As a side note - my doctor said they don't change the due-date because the ultrasound can be off, but what are the chances that I am further along than we thought? We conceived this baby after my first period after a miscarriage, and while my periods have always been pretty regular, I can't help wondering if my cycle was a little wonky, and maybe I ovulated sooner or something? 

Anyway, I'm trying to just be grateful that the baby is healthy! I'm sure I just need to get mentally adjusted to the idea that the baby won't be small! Please share your positive stories!

#2 of 13 Old 04-01-2011, 06:13 AM

At 32 weeks there's no way they could accurately date the pregnancy from ultrasound.

As to big babies, my last two were 9 lb 15 oz and 10 lb 8 oz, respectively.  The doctors freaked out.  Unnecessarily.  They were 4 hours labors, 15 minute pushing stage, and the only complication I had was with the "smaller" one, which was excessive bleeding, so the next time they just gave me a shot of pit.

((((hugs)))  Big or little, you'll be OK

#3 of 13 Old 04-01-2011, 09:28 AM

With my last an u/s said he was 9lbs 10 oz 10 days before he was born weighing 9 lbs 2 oz.  He did not lose 8 oz in those 10 days either.  It was just really off.  I don't put much stock in u/s weight guesstimates.  I have RARELY seen them be right on.  As for 8 lbs being big, I think thats really quite avg.  And honestly I think alot more has to do with position and baby head size.  I have seen 9 lbs with 13 in heads and 8 lbers with 15 inch heads.  Babies can be heavy and fluffy and others can be lean and muscular.  With my first 9 lber everyone was shocked because he was so skiny.  He was just all muscle.  Where as my 8 lb 8 oz was so fat she had rolls on her rolls.  Just have different body types, even today at 12 and 10.  I wouldn't even think too much of the u/s at all, whether dates or size.  Just feel good knowing your baby is good sized and not too small. 

Expecting #9.  Always busy hsing.
#4 of 13 Old 04-01-2011, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reassurance! And of course I realize that 8lb isn't "big" anyway, it just startled me a bit when she said the baby was 2 weeks ahead in growth. Now it doesn't seem like a big deal at all. And as you say, it's really a lot of guessing! It is worth remembering that for over a month I allowed the "measurements" and medical profession to have me a little concerned that the baby was small (when going by my instincts everything was fine!) so don't really think I should allow these other calculations to worry me either! I'm sure the baby will be a perfect size. :)

(I also like the concept of some babies being "fluffy"!;))

#5 of 13 Old 04-01-2011, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Heart View Post

I have seen 9 lbs with 13 in heads and 8 lbers with 15 inch heads.  Babies can be heavy and fluffy and others can be lean and muscular.

Absolutely agreed.  Weight has pretty little to do with skull and shoulder size.  My 7lb, 14oz son had the same sized head (albeit large) as my friend's daughter who weighed in at 9lb, 12oz.  It's not as though the only place babies gain weight is in the skull!  Our bodies are smarter than we give them credit for...  You might just end up with a baby who's got more cute rolls, but those rolls pass through the pelvis pretty easily orngbiggrin.gif

I too would also be very, very wary of the use of ultrasound for mapping size, period.  Ultrasound is great for finding anomaly, yes.  But 32 weeks is pretty darn late in the game.  By that point it's a poor measure of gestational age, and it's all over the place for weight.  If baby looks healthy, and you're gaining and measuring appropriately, then I wouldn't worry...

Wife to DH geek.gif, mom to DS (4/09), and DD (8/11)fly-by-nursing2.gif, and crafty and hardworking in my own right!  In my parenting journey I've  delayedvax.gif, signcirc1.gif, familybed2.gif, h20homebirth.gif, andcd.gif.  To each family their own!!

"There are words for people like me, but I don't think there are very many."

#6 of 13 Old 04-02-2011, 11:41 AM

Take it ALL with a grain of salt - Dr.'s opinion, u/s interpretation, fundal height - nothing is accurate late in pregnancy and I would not worry at all. It's easier said than done, but try to dismiss all of it.  Your body knows what it's doing. U/S is THE least reliable means to estimate weight, and fundal height can very greatly from week to week just from baby's position. My babe still moves around at almost 39 weeks.  None of what you had done carries any weight to me.   I would never change a due date based on a late u/s.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#7 of 13 Old 04-02-2011, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks to all your comments, and a bit of time, I am totally NOT WORRIED anymore! ;) I am much more comfortable believing my body knows what it's doing, and it's great to hear everybody saying how unreliable u/s is at estimating weight and so forth. (actually at my first u/s at 20 weeks they said the baby was "five days ahead" so I don't know if that is more reliable....but anyway, what does a due date mean?? I'm not expecting the baby to follow a schedule.) So grain of salt, most definitely! I almost can't believe I was worried at all, but you know how it is sometimes. :)

#8 of 13 Old 04-02-2011, 01:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

our late US with DD1 was almost 3 lbs off- less (that was after I was measuring 3 weeks behind for most of the pregnancy).  Like the other ladies said, not very trustworthy at all.

I am a medium framed woman, and I had two big babies (10.5 and 9.12).  I had a super small framed friend who is 5'2" and maybe 110lbs and she had a 10.2 lb baby just fine.  

SAHM to Chloe«- 6/2008 (10 lbs, 5 oz), Hannah- 9/2010 (9 lbs, 12 oz), Liam- 2/2013 (9 lbs, 6 oz)

#9 of 13 Old 04-02-2011, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceMay View Post

I almost can't believe I was worried at all, but you know how it is sometimes. :)

Despite what we *know* makes good sense, it's still SO hard not to worry.  At least, for me!  Glad to hear you're feeling better about things though.

Wife to DH geek.gif, mom to DS (4/09), and DD (8/11)fly-by-nursing2.gif, and crafty and hardworking in my own right!  In my parenting journey I've  delayedvax.gif, signcirc1.gif, familybed2.gif, h20homebirth.gif, andcd.gif.  To each family their own!!

"There are words for people like me, but I don't think there are very many."

#10 of 13 Old 04-02-2011, 04:10 PM

You'll be fine. I am 5'4 and was 115 pre-preg and I have a very narrow frame. I had an us and a version at 32 weeks. I was told then that I needed to really EAT because my baby was small. My home birth midwife disagreed. She though the baby was OK, even big. I didn't increase my calories at all and my daughter weighed 8lbs. 9oz. at birth. She was born vaginally at home with no tearing at all. Your body will create the space your baby needs. No worries Mama 

hug.gif

namaste.gif WAHSM to Ani (7) and Juddah (18mo.)

homebirth.jpggoorganic.jpgintactivist.gifwave.giflactivist.gif

#11 of 13 Old 04-02-2011, 06:11 PM

Alice, I'm just about exactly your size and weight (maybe an inch shorter) and I've had three babies. The first was 7lbs 11oz the second 9lbs 12oz and the last 9lbs 4 oz all completely uneventful (except all so very very fast) home births. Have confidence that your body knows how to grow the perfect baby for YOU!

happy birthing mama, get ready to love like you've never felt before!

orngbiggrin.gif mom of three with stork-suprise.gif on the way

#12 of 13 Old 04-02-2011, 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AliceMay View Post

Thanks to all your comments, and a bit of time, I am totally NOT WORRIED anymore! ;) I am much more comfortable believing my body knows what it's doing,

I'm glad to hear it. thumb.gif It's so easy to let our minds worry.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#13 of 13 Old 04-03-2011, 07:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My ultrasound at 34 weeks with my 1st DD (I was measuring small as well and they wanted to check her growth) put me at 2.5 weeks ahead.  I was told I would have a big baby and the nurse wanted to change my due date.  I ended up going into labor at 3 days past my EDD and delivered a 7 lbs. baby.  So much for that giant baby!

Elizabeth - Doing life with Scott partners.gif

SAHM to Evelyn - my crazy little Celiac (4) energy.gif Annabelle (2)  love.gif and Abraham (born 6/20) buddamomimg1.png
adoptionheart-1.gif  Follow our journey  mdcblog5.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page