pushing time - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 32 Old 04-02-2004, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello, my partner and I want to have another baby soon. I've been thinking a lot about the pushing phase. I pushed for three hours with my son. Is this longer then most? How long have others pushed?
#2 of 32 Old 04-02-2004, 08:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I think the key is...did you push when you felt the urge to or did you push when you reached 10cm and someone told you to?

I can only speak to my experience......I didn't push until I REALLY had to , and at that point I'd been at 10cm for nearly 4 hours. I pushed my 9+ lb daughter out in about two pushes.....less than 5 minutes.
#3 of 32 Old 04-02-2004, 08:41 PM

With my first i never felt the urge and pushed for 2 hours.With my second i had one push and it was a very urgent feeling.WIth my third,got the urge and it took three pushes because she was much bigger then my others.My other kids were so much easier then my first.
#4 of 32 Old 04-02-2004, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter

I never really felt the urge to push because I had an epidural. I'm really hoping to do a homebirth next time and have a midwife who's more in tune with how my labor is progressing. I guess I was asking because when I've told others how long I pushed I've been told I should have had a cesarean birth. I know this is not true, but I was looking for some reassurance. I'm really hopeful that I'll have a healthy homebirth next time.
#5 of 32 Old 04-02-2004, 09:51 PM

With ds (number 1) I pushed for 30 minutes
With dd (number 2) I pushed for 40 minutes

I didn't have epidurals, and only pushed when I had the urge, let me tell you that urge was strong. Since I only pushed 30 minutes with ds, I thought I'd push just a handful of times and dd would be here. Well she was posterior (didn't know until she came out and everyone saw her face not the back of her head) and was nearly a pound bigger. So I guess you never know. Not having an epidural will definately speed things up.

Mom to ds 9 dd 7 : and dd 3/08 : if I can I go to
#6 of 32 Old 04-02-2004, 11:20 PM

With my daughter (the only child Ive labored/dilated/pushed with) I didnt push until I REALLY felt the urge and she was out within about 3 pushes!
#7 of 32 Old 04-02-2004, 11:48 PM

"I think the key is...did you push when you felt the urge to or did you push when you reached 10cm and someone told you to?"

Yes, that is the key. There's another choice though: not adding any pushing effort to what your body is doing. Also, you can break down the "feeling the urge" choice into two subcategories -- pushing when you feel that strong bearing down sensation vs. pushing when you can't help but push. The first and third choices (not adding any pushing effort, and pushing when you can't help but push) are going to result in the shortest pushing phases.

Oh, and here's the pushing survery we recently did here at MDC:

http://mothering.com/discussions/sho...hreadid=116844
#8 of 32 Old 04-03-2004, 12:41 AM

I percipitated my daughter. I was in labor for 29 hours (about 24 of which was hard active laobor) and at 2 cm for almost the entire duration. I had just begged my midwife to check me, and she said I was a slight 3 cm. I went and took a shower when I felt the owerwhelming urge to push. I squatted and pushed into a contraction. Then I decided I wanted to be in bed so I waddled over and hunched down on the bed, and pushed her head out and then her body. So, I guess it was 3 pushes in less than 10 minutes.

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

#9 of 32 Old 04-03-2004, 02:16 AM

I never had the urge to push with my first, I started pushing at 9cm. The nurses said I could push if I felt the urge. I didn't but wanted it over with.lol They say I pushed for 40min, neither dh or I agree with that. I may have pushed but it wasn't effective until the last 10min.

With Asha I pushed for 2-3minutes, holding back until my dr got there. Emotionally I needed him there after having 2 losses. There's no doubt that I had the urge to push and I had that ring of fire that I never had the first time. With her the urge to push was more of a I have a lot of intense pressure in my tailbone and I don't care if I have a BM on the bed something's leaving my body. None of us realized I had to push until the nurse checked while I was. There had been a lip of cervix there the contraction before the she couldn't budge but moving me onto my side got rid of it by the next contraction.

With Nadia I didn't know I had to push until my body started pushing. She was born in 2-3 pushes with the dr pulling her out because she was stuck and her heartrate was very very low.
#10 of 32 Old 04-03-2004, 02:17 AM

I didn't push. I was in water and wanted to be as gentle as possible after tearing with my first (less than a half hour pushing, but too forceful) and focussed on relaxing and opening when the contractions hit. I felt dd come into the birth canal during a contraction then go up again as it ended. Finally she came down and stayed down and I could feel the top of her head with my hands. I meditated on opening and suddenly I felt a release, an opening, and she slipped out with a contraction. I had to tell dh and my doula (no midwife present at this time) that her head was out because they didn't know--I was on hands and knees in the tub facing them. Her head was out and doula asked, "Do you feel like pushing now?" and I said no. She said, "Why don't you try pushing with the next contraction," and dutifully I did, and the rest of her body slipped on out. (No moulding to her head, and her fist by her face--no tearing and no discomfort following birth.)

I was inspired by a story from Ina May's Guide to Childbirth about a new mom spontaneously opening to wider than the baby's head, and spent much time ruminating that. During the birth I also had the revelation that the best gift I can give my daughter (I knew she was a girl) is a good birth--and thought about her one day being in labor, having her own birth as foundation. This revelation got me focussed, serious, and full of respect for my birthing.
#11 of 32 Old 04-03-2004, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

What great replies, I love hearing about others birthing experiences. I must say I feel encouraged by all of your stories. I'm rereading the Ina May books, as I will be attending a friend’s birth soon. I love the idea of imagining opening up to be bigger then the baby’s head. I'm working hard on thinking of birth as a truly natural event. I seem to be able to do this on a logical level but to truly be able to feel that my body is made to birth is hard work for me. I'm not sure where I got this idea (perhaps just from our cultures outlook). My mom had three-intervention free birth; she always was very open and proud of her birthing experiences.
#12 of 32 Old 04-03-2004, 11:54 AM

I think two hours is considered normal/average for a first time. I pushed for two hours with my first, because I didn't know any better at the time. The midwife had me start pushing when I was "fully dilated", although my body wasn't pushing yet and I had no urge. It was really hard on my body to make it do that when it wasn't ready -- I was very sore for a long time.

I've since come to believe that it is a myth that pushing should start at full dilation. Pushing can start when the body is actually pushing the baby out, if the mother has an overwhelming urge to do that. With my second I started pushing when my midwife noticed my body bearing down (I wasn't really aware of it at first), and that took about 10 minutes. With my third my body spontaneously born down and I instinctively went alone with it. That pushing phase took probably a couple of minutes.
#13 of 32 Old 04-03-2004, 04:48 PM

With baby #1- about an hour
With baby #2- about 19, yes 19 hours. He was stuck!!!!!
#14 of 32 Old 04-03-2004, 08:29 PM

baby #1 : 3 1/2 hrs (hospital, cnm)

Baby #2 : 20 minutes (home, lm)

The difference for me was that no one checked me for full dilation the second time. I just obeyed my body.

The first time I forced myself to push with no urge for 3 hours. I only had an urge for the last 1/2 hr. I was so beat up after that I couldn't even walk. My genitals were so swollen I felt like I had aquired male part (not kidding!). I had to use a bedpan. Incredibly humiliating.
#15 of 32 Old 04-03-2004, 08:38 PM

My first baby was occipito-posterior, I had an epidural and pushed on my back. I pushed for 3 hours, had a 4th-degree episiotomy-turned-tear and had a vacuum extraction. This was with an OB.
He was 8 lbs. 12 oz.
My second baby I had an epidural and pushed on my side and he was out in 20 minutes with nary a skid mark. This was with a CNM.
He was 9 lbs. 1 oz.
#16 of 32 Old 04-04-2004, 03:17 PM

1st baby: Pushed 3 hours, had epidural, never felt urge to push, son was 9 lbs 1 oz.

2nd baby: Pushed about 10 minutes (through 2 contractions), nonmedicated birth, felt strong urge to push starting at 9 cm dilated, daughter was 6 lbs 2 oz.

I dn't know whether to attribute the easier delivery to much smaller birth weight, 2nd time around, non-medicated, or a combination of all 3. Whatever it was, it was SOOO much better!
#17 of 32 Old 05-16-2004, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothermama
I can only speak to my experience......I didn't push until I REALLY had to , and at that point I'd been at 10cm for nearly 4 hours. I pushed my 9+ lb daughter out in about two pushes.....less than 5 minutes.
Wow, I think this is totally interesting because I feel that if I had rested rather than pushing when I did, I would have had the homebirth that I wanted rather than ending up with a c-section. I was at 9 1/2 cm and my midwife told me that I could push when I was ready. Well, an hour passed and I still had no urge to push, so she asked if I wanted to do a couple of "practice pushes". She thought that maybe pushing would help bring my baby down far enough to give me the urge to push. Well, I ended up pushing for 6 hours with no urge!! I got him down pretty far (he was about 2-3 inches inside of me. I could feel his head), but I couldn't get him out all the way. So, we decided to transfer to the hospital and I ended up with a c-section.

After that experience, I truely believe what BlueViolet says, about it being a myth that pushing should start at full dilation. With my next birth, I'm due on 6/16/04, I am not going to push until I feel the urge!! I have a planned hospital birth, but I think my husband and I are going to switch to a planned homebirth! I have a feeling that if I go to the hospital and don't feel the urge right away, the hospital staff will give me a limited amount of time to wait for the urge and because of that, I will be tense and my body wont be able to do it's thing! I swear, I wish hospitals would be more patient and allow women's bodies to do what they're designed to do without pressuring them for time!!

anothermama ~ Did you birth at home or in the hospital? If you birthed in the hospital, were they giving you crap about waiting until you felt the urge?
#18 of 32 Old 05-16-2004, 03:48 PM

I did not have an epidural. I definitely had the urge to push, it was totally involuntary. And yet I still pushed for 3 hours. Ds did have an incredibly tight cord around his neck, but I don't know if that had anything to do with how long it took.
#19 of 32 Old 05-16-2004, 06:53 PM

DD was a VBAC and I pushed for about 2 hours. I had no epidural and felt a very strong urge the entire time. DD was posterior and rotated to anterior during pushing. Being on my back was the only comfortable position for me because of her posterior position, and I think this also made my pushing phase a bit longer.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#20 of 32 Old 05-16-2004, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffy Peanut

anothermama ~ Did you birth at home or in the hospital? If you birthed in the hospital, were they giving you crap about waiting until you felt the urge?

I birthed in a "birth center" that was attached to a hospital and I had a CNM who was kinda intervetion happy.

They (the nurse and the midwife) actually set the bed upright and tried to make me push at 10cm but I refused. It was very primal feeling but I just wouldn't......it felt wrong. So they took the bed down and, yes, spent the next four hours making all sorts of snotty comments about all the effort they put into doing the bed and how this baby would be the most cone headed baby you've ever seen.......etc etc. The nurse kept coming in and asking my friends "Isn't she going to push YET!??". It really did nothing more than piss me off and when I'm pissed off, I just get more stubborn.

Anyways, all I can say is that at a certain point, I was overwhelmed with the urge to push and just started sitting up and my friends had to scramble to find the nurse and midwife to come catch the baby.

And she wasn't even REMOTELY coneheaded.
#21 of 32 Old 05-17-2004, 10:03 AM

With my first, I pushed for almost 5 hours! I know it was because I did'nt understand about the "lip of the cervix" still there but the nurses told me to push anyways,so I did,it was awful;I was kept an addtionial day because my labia swelled and bruised soo badly!!
With all my other children it was like 20 minutes, right down to the last 5, which were only two pushes!!
#22 of 32 Old 05-17-2004, 01:38 PM

anothermama ~ Wow, that's awesome!! I'm glad that you listened to your instincts rather than your nurse and midwife!! I'm at the point of trying to decide whether to chance having to fight my way through the birth I want or just having a midwife assisted birth in a hotel room close to the hospital! Since I'm a VBAC, I have a feeling they will be hassling me even more if my birth doesn't fit into their ideas of how birth should go!! I'm going to present my birth plan to my midwife on Wednesday and her reaction will help me decide what to do!
#23 of 32 Old 05-17-2004, 02:02 PM

Pushing usually varies birth to birth.

My 1st son I pushed for 45 mintues.

My 2nd son I pushed for 2 hours.

My 3rd son pushed for 30 minutes.

My daughter was born at home and the midwife told to me push on my own, when I was ready. With her I pushed for 8 minutes!! But since I pushed her out so fast, she didn't have time to mold into the birth canal and I broke her collar bone. But she was fine.

Tamera hearts.gifwife to Rod moon.gif Mama to Ty jammin.gif Nathan Peace.gif Hunter bikenew.gifMila energy.gifAndrew sleepytime.gif Kyle REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif& our last baby # 7 due June 2011 1sttri.gif We homeschool.gif  nocirc.gifcd.gif  h20homebirth.gif
#24 of 32 Old 05-18-2004, 12:59 AM

Hey fluffy peanut--

I think our midwives might be related. I pushed for about 2 1/2 hours after mine started me down that road. At home, no less! On my back, holding my breath, counting to ten. Lots of transfer threats and admonishments to work harder. I was really shocked. I guess I felt like something must be really wrong or she wouldn't be doing it the hospital way. Eventually dd's heart rate started to drop and take forever to recover. It all worked out when I got out of bed and squatted. Afterward, I was really pissed about the whole thing. Everything was fine until the midwife showed up! It just goes to show, homebirth + midwife doesn't necessarily mean low-intervention birth. Know your provider!
#25 of 32 Old 05-18-2004, 01:28 PM

Wow Katja, it does sound like they're related!! I was completely shocked that my homebirth midwife was managing my birth that way!! It just goes to show that not all midwives or doctors are created equal!

My current midwife (a CNM in a hospital) believes in the woman's body to birth, but I'm afraid that since she's in a hospital, I wont get the freedom I desire to let my body birth completely naturally, at least not without a fight. I'm mainly afraid that, like my last birth, I wont feel the urge to push right away and people are going to freak, especially since I'm a VBAC.
#26 of 32 Old 05-18-2004, 01:36 PM

Had a serious bigtime monster urge to push with DS-felt like I had to poop-and he was out in a few pushes...DH couldn't slow me down though like he learned in class, bless his heart, so I got a third degree tear! Next time, planning a homebirth with an experienced midwife who can help protect my perineum
#27 of 32 Old 05-18-2004, 03:24 PM

DD #1--10 hours!!! She was posterior, in a military presentation with a asynclitic(ms?) head. I pushed until we made the call to transfer and she was born with some help from the vaccum extractor. I suffered 3 episiotomies that lead to 3rd degree tears. She was 8lbs 8ozs.

DD #2--17 minutes. She was born at a free standing birth center and I didn't tear at all!!! She was 8lbs 13.5ozs.

Sara
I love my girlsMadaline(9), Mary-Grace(7), Georgia(3), & Evelyn(1)
#28 of 32 Old 05-19-2004, 10:55 PM

Hi :-)

I pushed for 2.5 hours with my first, and for 4 minutes with my second (even though he was posterior). Both times I initiated pushing because it felt right. After the first birth I was very beat up down there, after the second life was wonderful (seriously, it felt like somebody hit me down there but compared to the first, that's NOT BAD). The first time it just kind of felt right to push - the second time I arrived at the hospital and 7 minutes later I was holding DS, because pushing was totally not a voluntary thing at that point, it was happening (even though the $#*&$ nurse tried to get me to stop because she thought I was only 6 cm dilated). My first was smaller by exactly a pound (she was 7lbs7oz, DS was 8lbs7oz) and she was positioned 'correctly' but that time pushing was much more difficult. I don't know if it was a first-baby thing, an issue of pushing more effectively (I focussed and visualized with my second) or what.

Mama, homeschooler, midwife. DD (13yo), DS (11yo), DD (8yo), DD (3yo), somebody new coming in November 2013.

#29 of 32 Old 05-20-2004, 12:46 AM

I pushed for about 4 hours with my first (homebirth - 8lb 8oz). She was posterior though, her head was tipped a bit to the side, and she presented with a hand up to her face. I had the urge to push when I was 10cm and had a bit of a lip left. I tore a little but not too bad. I needed 4 stiches I believe.
With my 2nd, my body did all the work for me before the midwifes even arrived. I probably pushed (it was involuntary pushing) for 10 to 15 minutes. I had a small tear (1 stitch) at the bottom of my vagina and 2 tears on the labia. I believe giving birth in the water really helped me not to tear badly that time. She was 9lb 8oz.

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
#30 of 32 Old 05-20-2004, 02:35 AM

Hi all, just jumping in with both feet here...

With my first I pushed for 2 hours all the while hearing whisperings of (c-section) in the background. Now I never felt the urge to push, just trusted that the nurses knew kwim?

Soo with that in mind the second time around, I made sure it was just dh and I without an army of nurses and whatnot barging in and examining and all. The dr. did do an exam a couple hours into labour, declared I was 7 cm and would be a few more hours until baby would arrive. I knew different. He had just left the room when my water broke, I felt like pushing (even though the nurse was horrified seeing as how I was only 7 cm.) and Maya was born minutes later with dr. arriving back in room to "catch" her if you will The nurse said after that she had never seen someone push thru from 7 to delivery. I doubt that!!!

mum to a crew...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page