ECV for breech babies - Anyone had one done? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 04-11-2011, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Has anyone else had an external version to turn your breech baby?  

If so, how did it go?  

Was it uncomfortable?  

If they were able to turn the baby, did the baby stay that way?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 04-12-2011, 01:13 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)

I had one with my first child and it was really uncomfortable/painful. In retrospect 1. my doc did it too late 2. my son had his feet straight up by his ears so if he turned around it may still have been a problem 3. if I did it again i would take the pain relief offered beforehand so my muscles could relax and it would have a better chance at success. It also made me really sore in my abdominal muscles for the next few days. I ended up with a scheduled c/s, which wasn't all bad for what it was. I have had 4 VBACs, all of them natural and two of them at home, since then. That about covers all the bases, so HTH and good luck!

Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?
#3 of 3 Old 04-12-2011, 05:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I had one with DS (first baby). It was done at 37 wks by a very experienced midwife. No pain meds or muscle relaxants and it was successful. I would describe it as intensely uncomfortable, but it was definitely not excruciating. It took about 20 minutes - DS was frank breech. He stayed head down. The MWs asked me to walk around for about an hour afterwards to try and get him down nice and low. I went on to have a wonderful homebirth. I understand that the expertise of the care provider is very important to the success of things. There are only a couple of midwives in my city who are expert at ECVs and all the other MWs send their clients to them for ECVs, so they continue to build their experience. HTH - good luck!

Lindsay, mama to Owen (06.08) and Sadie (05.11) wool.gifpartner to the amazing J. 

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page