painful postpartum poo :( - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-14-2011, 04:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I gave birth to my son 10 days ago. It was a vaginal delivery, lithotomy position, 15-20 min of pushing, midline episiotomy. Since birth, I've been having crazy cramps whenever I need to have a BM and sometimes even when I have to pee, and BMs tend to feel "incomplete" like there is more in there. I'm eating salads and whole grains, so I'm not at all constipated, I'm just having trouble (and pain!) with the function of pushing the stuff out! Sometimes the cramping will wake me from sleep.

What is going on, anyone?? Doc says it's just all my organs shifting back together, and to give myself some time to 'go back into place.'

It's strange that a "small" thing can make you feel so miserable. I don't remember going through anything like this after my previous deliveries.

joy.gif
"Paradise lies at the feet of mothers"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2011, 03:24 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Look into slippery elm.  You can incorporate it into apple sauce or oatmeal.  Maybe using warm water in your peri bottle as you're going might help relax the pelvic floor for more complete emptying?  Tons of water, too.  Maybe try something that will replace electrolytes like coconut water.  I'd also try many warm drinks throughout the day (just plain water, or water and lemon).  This might help the peristalsis become more regular and efficient and get things back to normal.  Good luck.  Intestinal problems are the worst and always make me very grumpy and less tolerant.

Old 04-14-2011, 03:27 PM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

I'm sorry for your discomfort!  While it's certainly possible that it's just all your organs trying to shift back into position, causing trapped gas and cramping, it does seem a bit odd that it would wake you at night.  Did you have episiotomies with your previous deliveries?   I wonder if this has something to do with the pain.  It's also possible you strained something while pushing in that position.  Can you get a second opinion from a different doctor?  Can you get a check up with a midwife clinic- someone who will you give you focused time and attention?  I hope you feel better soon!

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

Old 04-14-2011, 03:30 PM

I had exactly what you describe after #2 (and not after #1 so it was a real shock and not a nice one!).  I have super fast labours (84mins #1 and 61mins #2) too so i think my guts end up in a state right after birth where they're bruised from the speed the baby passed them, AND trying to go back to where they came from AND trying to deal with my big appetite (i get VERY hungry when my milk comes in!).  It hurt!

Honestly, time and exercise (and time because it was a while before i COULD exercise) helped.  And when i say exercise i mean a stroll, not a run!  Time really did fix it all.  Hang in there.

Old 04-14-2011, 04:57 PM

I had the cramping you describe as well, it was gone by about 3 weeks postpartum. 

wife of 8 years to DH geek.gif, mama to DD blahblah.gif (2006) & DS jog.gif (2011) angel1.gif (Dec. 2012) rainbow1284.gif due Nov. 2013 

vbac.gifh20homebirth.gif cd.gif homeschool.gif

Old 04-15-2011, 03:24 AM - Thread Starter

I saw my doctor again and told her in detail exactly what I was going through. She said it might be an inner fissure but not to have it checked until after 6 wks pp. I looked up fissures and I don't think that is what I have. I did not have this pain before delivery and I don't think giving birth is going to cause fissures.

The good news is that it's not a rectocele which is what I was afraid of. I did have episiotomies with my other deliveries, so I've BTDT but never had this pain before.

I had a relatively fast labor and delivery so it might be something like what you had, GoBecGo. I feel like my pelvic floor is just shot after the delivery and simply needs time. Thanks for all your replies (and sorry for your discomfort for those who've gone through this, but it sure is nice to know I'm not the only one! -- misery sure loves company eh ;-D ).

joy.gif
Old 04-15-2011, 06:10 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Regarding your pelvic floor:  You might benefit from looking into Katy Bower's blogs about squatting, "You Don't Know Squat" is the most popular post.  There are a few hreads on MDC about it.  So, once you're ready, easing into some squatting exercises may really help that pelvic floor.  Moreso than kegels alone anyway. 

Old 04-15-2011, 06:23 AM

i actually do have something of a rectocele, though it diminishes month by month.  my gp says it's mild enough he would consider it "a normal post-partum vaginal wall" but this old grey mare hain't what she used to be!  I don't think the two were related, i too felt much better 3-4 weeks PP and had only the odd twinge after that when i was constipated at all.

Old 04-18-2011, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

My doctor recommended this exercise for my (now sliced) perineum and pelvic floor muscles: lie flat on your back, feet flat on the floor but knees bent. Then, using your inner thigh muscles, squeeze your knees together as tight as you can whilst contracting your pelvic floor muscles (kegeling). It was the first time I'd heard of such a thing and made me wonder if this exercise wasn't something along the lines of Dr. Oz's Super Kegel.

Update: cramping still there but noticeably less with each passing day, thank God!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dot-to-Dot View Post

Regarding your pelvic floor:  You might benefit from looking into Katy Bower's blogs about squatting, "You Don't Know Squat" is the most popular post.  There are a few hreads on MDC about it.  So, once you're ready, easing into some squatting exercises may really help that pelvic floor.  Moreso than kegels alone anyway. 

joy.gif

User Tag List