How similar were your labors? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 04-18-2011, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm 37 weeks pg with baby #3, and wondering how much I can rely on my previous labor experiences to predict this one.  

With DS1, my water broke at 38w4d, contrax started but didn't follow a pattern, started Pitocin 12 hours after water broke, he was born 24 hours after water broke. 

With DS2, my water broke at 38w2d, contrax started but didn't follow a pattern, got them started/regulated with nipple stim, born 19 hours after water broke. 

I wasn't checked before DS2, but with DS1, I was 2cm/30% effaced 4 days before going into labor.  I got checked at my appt. today and I am 2cm/50% effaced, and I'm starting to have increased cervical mucus that could be a precursor to my mucus plug.  

So basically I'm wondering if history is a good predictor of birth experience and if I should be preparing to go into labor sometime in the next week.  My midwives seem to think this little guy will come at 38 weeks like his brothers, but are they right?

Lacie, mama to Ethan (5), Logan (2), and Dylan, born 5/12/11!

#2 of 13 Old 04-19-2011, 09:03 AM

Mine were very similar.  All mine were born between 13 and 16 days past my edd.  4 started with my water breaking, 2 started with contractions and 2 more were induced.  I was about 4 cm each time I started and virtually all started or were born at night.  As for pain they were totally different but how and when they started they were all pretty much the same.  

Expecting #9.  Always busy hsing.
#3 of 13 Old 04-19-2011, 09:49 AM

My daughter was born at 37w5d - my water broke and contractions started about an hour later.

My son was born at 40w4d - contractions started swiftly and about 6 hours in (of 8) my water broke.

wife of 8 years to DH geek.gif, mama to DD blahblah.gif (2006) & DS jog.gif (2011) angel1.gif (Dec. 2012) rainbow1284.gif due Nov. 2013 

vbac.gifh20homebirth.gif cd.gif homeschool.gif

#4 of 13 Old 04-21-2011, 04:57 PM

All three of my labors were drastically different. First one was induced at 41 wks w/ no signs of impending labor. No idea how long I would've really gone, but probably only another couple of days. My second was born at 42+2 and my third was at 39. IME, there's been no pattern. Your first two seem to be very similiar though and I think it's different for every woman. Could very well be that this one will come around the same time for you. I say plan for that. If nothing else you'll be prepared!

read.gif Rachael~~SAHM to fairy.gif (4/27/06), diaper.gif (11/18/09) and babyf.gif (1/29/11); married to a fabulous man! flowersforyou.gif  intactlact.gif cd.gif    caffix.gif )O(

#5 of 13 Old 04-21-2011, 05:11 PM

Mine have been pretty similar.  I was induced each time for being past my edd- 42 weeks, 2 days with my first, 40 w, 2 days with my second (I had GD), and 43 w 5 days with #3.  All labors were very short- 3 hours for the longest (#2) and #1 & #3 were posterior.

Amy, mom to LadyBug, SnuggleBug and StinkBug.  Expecting BabyBug in August 2011.
#6 of 13 Old 04-30-2011, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LacieD View Post

I'm 37 weeks pg with baby #3, and wondering how much I can rely on my previous labor experiences to predict this one.  

With DS1, my water broke at 38w4d, contrax started but didn't follow a pattern, started Pitocin 12 hours after water broke, he was born 24 hours after water broke. 

With DS2, my water broke at 38w2d, contrax started but didn't follow a pattern, got them started/regulated with nipple stim, born 19 hours after water broke. 

I wasn't checked before DS2, but with DS1, I was 2cm/30% effaced 4 days before going into labor.  I got checked at my appt. today and I am 2cm/50% effaced, and I'm starting to have increased cervical mucus that could be a precursor to my mucus plug.  

So basically I'm wondering if history is a good predictor of birth experience and if I should be preparing to go into labor sometime in the next week.  My midwives seem to think this little guy will come at 38 weeks like his brothers, but are they right?

Maybe, maybe not?  I've heard the 3rd can be unpredictable.

As to me, mine have been fairly similar. 

DD was born at 39w3d, I was 3cm/80% effaced when labor started.  I had no indication of labor starting except bloody show the evening that contractions started(no BH or anything before that).  Water was broken by my CNM at 8cm, labor lasted 12 1/2 hours start to finish.

DS1 was born at 40w, I was 5cm/90% effaced when labor started(had been for a week).  Again, no indication of labor starting...woke up to a strong contraction with bloody show.  Water was broken by CNM at 10cm right before pushing, labor lasted a little under 4 hours start to finish.

DS2 was born at 39w6d, I was 3cm/80% effaced when labor started.  I was sort of off feeling the day before, maybe a little crampy, otherwise no signs of labor. Contractions just started and were 3-5 minutes apart immediately, along with bloody show.  Water broke as I was pushing(homebirth this time), labor was just a little over 2 hours total.

So mine seem to all come around the same time...hoping for similar timeframe with this baby.

S, mama to L(DD)-12/04, K(DS1)-12/06, C(DS2)-03/09 & B(DS3)-05/11

#7 of 13 Old 05-02-2011, 11:18 AM

The only thing that was similar was that they both started on their own and they were both long. Otherwise they were completely different.

~Attatchment and Natural Parent from instincts not from books to my 2 boys~ Childbirth Educator & Placental Encapsulation Professional
homeschool.gif familybed2.gif homebirth.jpgribbonpb.gif
#8 of 13 Old 05-08-2011, 09:00 PM

DD#1- 39 weeks 6 days, 7 hours of labor

DD#2- 39 weeks 6 days, 8 hours of labor

The thing that confused me was that the contractions felt nothing the same!

#9 of 13 Old 05-08-2011, 09:16 PM

Mine were drastically different.  Both were pitocin inductions due to toxemia.

1st -  37+6.  Horrible, blinding contractions from the beginning.  Baby was in perfect LOA position.  Screaming for epidural at 2cm.  26hr labor.  FTP/CPD.  C-Section.

2nd - 39+4. Contractions built up.  Dealt with them easily with birth ball, rocking chair, and vocalization.  Baby was posterior and asynclitic.  No meds.  7hr labor.  VBAC.

hippie.gif Hi, I'm Amber

Ava {12.20.08}  Levi {8.19.10}  Aspen  {EDD 7.21.13}

#10 of 13 Old 05-09-2011, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebugsmom View Post

Mine have been pretty similar.  I was induced each time for being past my edd- 42 weeks, 2 days with my first, 40 w, 2 days with my second (I had GD), and 43 w 5 days with #3.  All labors were very short- 3 hours for the longest (#2) and #1 & #3 were posterior.

Just curious how you found a practioner who allows more than 42 wks? =) I know this is a controverisal subject but I think its great that someone out there allows for a bit of wiggle room.

My labors were very different but the onset was a bit similar.

Dd1 induced (with cervical med disk) at 10 days post edd. Born 12 hours later (just after midnight so technicalls 11 days post edd). Hospital birth with epi and episiotomy.

Dd2 "induced" with castor oil at 10 days post edd. Born after 3 hours 15 min at home.

Induced due to threat of c-section at 42 weeks. Both times, although 2nd time round had more slightly more pull but would have lost my home birth.

Mamma to dd1 3/8/07, one 9.5.08, and dd2 9/9/09
#11 of 13 Old 05-09-2011, 10:03 AM

The only similarity is that they were loooong and painful :)  Other than that they were very different, but very wonderful for different reasons

1.  Water broke on due date.  Clueless about birth,  headed to hospy asap, labor started but was making slow progress, got pictocin, labored flat on my back (a form of self torture I know now) got an epidural ahhhhhh sweet bliss, pushed baby out in about 10 mins of pushing.  About 20 hours of labor.

2. UP/hospital birth.   2 weeks overdue, well educated and confident in my body I went to hospital at about 12 hours into labor because I was having a very strange pain.  Labor stopped, I went back to hotel across from hospital.  Labored there for 6 more hours, handled contrax beautifully but was having immobolizing contant hip pain that scared me, went to hospy found out I was only 3 cms, but stayed.  Was cared for by amazing nurses who honored my birth plan, labored in tub, labor was going slow but painful, couldn't move due to pain in my side even though I wanted to.  Water broke artificially at 6cms after laboring in hospital for about 7 hours.  Waited 45 mins, no change, consented to pit and requested epiural in anticipation of pit induced contractions. I actually said "screw my natural birth".  Epdural didn't work.  Before starting pit  I was found to be complete.  So no pit :).  Was asked to wait for Dr to get ready before pushing, but was mad to be asked to wait and I pushed a bit.  Baby was born after only 5 mins of pushing.  About 26 hours of labor.

caffix.gif

#12 of 13 Old 05-09-2011, 02:34 PM

Mine were chalk and cheese.

DD1: 43+1 weeks.  Spontaneous labour, posterior and asynclitic, incredibly painful never-ending contractions. Almost 24 hours active labour, ending in traumatic hospital transfer and forceps delivery. Awful.

DD2: 43+6 weeks. Spontaneous labour, position good as far as I could tell other than nuchal hand. 45 minutes from thinking "Okay, I'm probably in labour" to baby out. Peaceful UC. Physically demanding but a million times better than the first!

Lisa - mama to Eleanor Rose 01/08 and Saoirse Lily 09/10
#13 of 13 Old 05-09-2011, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

Well, after two 38 week births, I'm at 40w2d and counting with this stubborn dude.  Hopefully he'll make up for it with a short and easy labor!

Lacie, mama to Ethan (5), Logan (2), and Dylan, born 5/12/11!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page