Gift for New Mother - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-22-2011, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My bf's s-i-l gave birth to her first son via c-section today. I don't know her very well, but I would like to buy her a gift and send it with the gift I already bought for the baby. I wonder if anyone has any suggestions for gifts that you received and liked, or would have liked to receive after giving birth (keeping in mind the c-section). I want to buy something specifically for her (not another gift for the baby). So far, I have found a SPA in her area that I can buy a mani/pedi gift certificate for. I could also buy a massage from the same place, but I have no idea how long she would have to wait to use it.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you might offer.

K8

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2011, 05:58 PM

I would have LOVED a fruit of the month delivery.  It would have been expensive.  I actually saw that on a "what to give a new mom" recommendation list.  Any kind of food that SIL doesn't have to cook would likely be wonderful.  Do you live close to her?  If you all have a nice relationship, you could take her a meal once a week maybe?  You mentioned sending a gift, so that might not work.  You could send her some baked goods...even brownies from a box would have been delightful!  Very kind of you to think of her.

sleepytime.gif I got tired of my signature, but I still love my children and husband and miss my little brotherkid.gif

Old 04-22-2011, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

The fruit  of the month is a good idea. I will look into that. One thing that I do know is that the couple don't eat much fruit, so the fruit could be a great idea or a bad idea. :) I live states away; otherwise, the food idea would be right up my alley. I love cooking for people.

I have only met this mother twice. I like her, and I care for these people since they will be my family one day. I was just thinking that if I were in her shoes (in a city where I knew few people with family in another state), a gift focused on her might be welcomed. Thanks for your suggestions!

Old 04-22-2011, 06:19 PM

Earth Mama Angel Baby makes a nice cesarean birth recovery kit... it has lotions for the incision, teas, a soothing aromatherapy spray, a cd of healing affirmations/guided relaxations, that sort of thing.  And there are things like the Belly Bandit that help with pp cesarean healing (help get rid of the horrible "my guts are falling out" feeling though I don't know if you're close enough to your SIL to offer a gift that might be taken as a "you need a girdle", you know?  lol).

If there is a post partum doula network in her area, I would have LOVED for someone to come over in the first few weeks (after my DH had to go back to work and I was alone with the baby and my healing incision) to help with the general house stuff as well as just "being there" so I didn't feel so alone!  A house cleaning service, meal delivery service, fruit of the month/chocolate of the month program would have been great too.  Or a subscription to a totally not baby related magazine that I could have read while nursing at 3am or while the baby napped would have been great too (if you happen to know what sort of magazine would appeal to her... just as long as it's not baby related but obviously for her!).

What a thoughtful idea, your sil is lucky to have you!  :)

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

User Tag List