How was the birth of your first? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: What was your FIRST baby's birth like? (check all that apply)
100% Natural 204 100.00%
IV 102 100.00%
Pitocin (or other contraction stimulant) 83 100.00%
Epidural (or other pain/sleep meds) 92 100.00%
C-Section 39 100.00%
Vacuum 16 100.00%
Forceps 6 75.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 168 Old 04-28-2011, 06:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZakareyasMama View Post

I disagree. I know I went into labor trusting my body and set against interventions, but things didn't turn out that way. Sometimes women have real situations that need intervention such as exhaustion or a malpositioned baby or a physical problem in the pelvis, etc. that no amount of positive thinking will take away. 

I think what happens is that in an attempt to advocate for intervention-free birth and encourage other mothers, we forget that sometimes women need interventions and it's a balance. Of course not every woman needs every intervention every time (and that's what can happen in a sue-happy medical environment), but it's also not the case that no woman ever needs an IV, epidural, pitocin or a C-Section. We want to encourage other women to try for natural birth, but we shouldn't make them feel like a failure if it doesn't happen.

I agree with this response. The only plan you should make is to stand up for yourself, educate yourself, be flexible. Set yourself up for success. Things happen, even the perfect mom could need all kinds of help.
#62 of 168 Old 04-28-2011, 06:50 PM

nak

I had natural homebirths with both of my children, but I do have to say that the first one was much more difficult. With my first, I was in labor for 31 hours, with lots of back pain and I pushed for about 3 hours. I got to the point that I would've wanted an epidural because I felt like I couldn't do it anymore, except that I couldn't imagine having to deal with the car ride to the hospital to get one. With my second, I was in labor for 7 hours, the first 3 or 4 hours of which I wasn't even convinced were "real labor." I had no back pain at all, and it took a total of 3 pushes to get her out, so probably less than 12 minutes of pushing. I never once felt like I wanted an epidural or pain meds at all with the second one.

Melissa Wife to DHpartners.gif, Mom to DSbouncy.gif (3 y.o.) and DD wave.gif (infant) We are a homebirthing, no circ, select and delay vax, cosleeping, full-term breastfeeding happy family!

#63 of 168 Old 04-28-2011, 07:39 PM

My first was born at a hospital with a CNM. My husband and I prepared with a 10 week birth class taught by a home birth midwife. I labored at home for 24 hours, had a doula, and was very confident in my ability to birth naturally. I thought I had my bases covered. I arrived to the hospital at 7 cm and the interventions began immediately. It was technically a "natural childbirth" in that it was pain med free, but felt anything but natural once I arrived at the hospital. In the two hours from when we arrived to baby born the midwife performed AROM without my consent, and insisted on lithotomy for pushing and delivery, leading inevitably to an episiotomy. I know this is a question about the birth, but I was totally unprepared for what can happen once the baby is out. I had one course of IV abx during labor and though my water was clear, there were bits of meconium. Because of the meconium, a ped team took the baby and did full meconium work up on him and wouldn't give him back until my husband started yelling. The hospital policy on GBS was to keep us 48 hours since we didn't get the full abx treatment, and then the attending ped spent the entire time bullying us to start formula with our perfectly healthy, almost 8 lb baby who was sucking like a champ. We had to be vigilant around the clock to keep him off formula. Luckily the nurses were sympathetic to us and helped out. The lactation consultant arrived at discharge at the 48 hour mark.
With my first, I didn't know what I didn't know. Now, I would say know your hospital. Find your local natural birthing community and learn about the best hospitals. Home birth is the best way to a natural, positive birth, and still because transfer is always a possibility it is important to vet the likely transfer hospital. Once you enter, you are in their game. Best to know how they play.
#64 of 168 Old 04-28-2011, 08:51 PM

IMO it's all in being educated. I wasn't all that educated about birthing babies at 18. I followed my drs. lead. I had AROM and an epi. I hated my birth experience, which is why/ how I found out about homebirth :)

-:¦:-♥Sarah Lynne♥-:¦:-Wife to Michael and Mommy to Austin(5), Steven(3), Tristyn(1), and Laurelyn (6/3/2011)

#65 of 168 Old 04-28-2011, 09:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

I had a homebirth with my first (and second).  I was/am AMA and was very concerned with what a hospital might impose on me.  I worked out regularly (5 days a week) at the time and had a great diet, so, I was very wary of being treated as a statistic and not the very healthy person I was at the time.  I ended up with a prolonged pushing phase (5.5 hrs) because my daughter was posterior.  This caused my cervix to swell and my midwife was able to ice it down and hold up the lip to facilitate the birth.  At a hospital, it is highly unlikely I would have been allowed to push for that long and she would most likely have been taken by c-section.

I do know that had the manual icing not worked, I would have had to transfer to the hospital for a c-section.  It didn't work for a subsequent patient of my midwife's.  And I was the first person for whom she had to do this.

Mama to add 10/05; ds 3/09, and two angels
#66 of 168 Old 04-28-2011, 10:27 PM

I thought I was fairly educated with my first, but in hindsight I wasn't really.  I had every intention of a natural birth, but at 37 weeks started leaking fluid.  I was watched, they resealed and a week later my water really broke.  B/c of the previous leak I was given an IV as soon as I got to the hospital and had multiple courses of antibiotics.  The IV was HORRIBLE.  They had trouble getting it in and it ended up in a very akward spot.  I could not use that hand at all and had to keep that hand bent up to keep the needle straight.  It hurt a lot.  I had trouble getting into comfortable positions.  Didn't help that I was having back labour too b/c of bad positioning of baby.  Finally after 15 hours of labour I begged for an epidural so I could rest.  The epi went in fine, but when it came time to push I had no pushing sensations and was given pitocin (without really realizing it).  It was a horrible, horrible labour and birth and I had huge problems with BF'ing and bonding with baby.

With the second one I really educated myself,  Found a different Dr.  I also acted a lot more confident when dealing with Dr and nurses.  My water started leaking early with the second baby and I didn't call my Dr until we had almost reached the 24 hour mark, with no other signs of labour.  At 26 hours post rupture (it was pretty small and high up), I went to the hospital to be checked and fortunately labour had begun and I was about 3 cm.  I told (didn't ask) the Dr. and nurses that I was going home to sleep and would come back when things got more intense.  They didn't say a thin and let me leave.  Went back to the hospital at about 5 am.  They monitored baby and made sure I didn't have a temp and I was able to skip the IV abx.  3 hours later baby number two was born completely naturally.  I held baby and nursed while getting stitched up.  Baby never left my arms until about 5 hours later when I went with him to the nursery to be cleaned, weighed, measured, etc.  We were home that night for supper.  Bonding and nursing both came very easily.  It was an amazing birth experience!

Being confident with my decisions and telling the Dr's what I would and wouldn't accept made a huge difference for me in the number of interventions offered and pushed at me.

#67 of 168 Old 04-29-2011, 07:37 AM

I had a beautiful, natural birth with CNMs at a birth center. It was an amazing, transformative experience.

treehugger.gif and geek.gif walking a path illuminated by our coolshine.gif5/08coolshine.gif 8/11 3rdtri.gif due in 1/14

brokenheart.gif6/10 brokenheart.gif10/10 

#68 of 168 Old 04-29-2011, 07:46 AM

I only had the pitocin because my water broke and I did not go into labor after about 14 hours they wanted to start an induction.  It was a hospital MW birth but no epidural or anything.  

Jcregan, Mom to DD 4yo. DS born 3/10/2011.winner.jpg  waterbirth.jpg   and trying cd.gif  for the first time.
#69 of 168 Old 04-29-2011, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoBeIt View Post

My first was born at a hospital with a CNM. My husband and I prepared with a 10 week birth class taught by a home birth midwife. I labored at home for 24 hours, had a doula, and was very confident in my ability to birth naturally. I thought I had my bases covered. I arrived to the hospital at 7 cm and the interventions began immediately. It was technically a "natural childbirth" in that it was pain med free, but felt anything but natural once I arrived at the hospital. In the two hours from when we arrived to baby born the midwife performed AROM without my consent, and insisted on lithotomy for pushing and delivery, leading inevitably to an episiotomy. I know this is a question about the birth, but I was totally unprepared for what can happen once the baby is out. I had one course of IV abx during labor and though my water was clear, there were bits of meconium. Because of the meconium, a ped team took the baby and did full meconium work up on him and wouldn't give him back until my husband started yelling. The hospital policy on GBS was to keep us 48 hours since we didn't get the full abx treatment, and then the attending ped spent the entire time bullying us to start formula with our perfectly healthy, almost 8 lb baby who was sucking like a champ. We had to be vigilant around the clock to keep him off formula. Luckily the nurses were sympathetic to us and helped out. The lactation consultant arrived at discharge at the 48 hour mark.
With my first, I didn't know what I didn't know. Now, I would say know your hospital. Find your local natural birthing community and learn about the best hospitals. Home birth is the best way to a natural, positive birth, and still because transfer is always a possibility it is important to vet the likely transfer hospital. Once you enter, you are in their game. Best to know how they play.

Agreed about the comments you made about being educated about the possibilities after the birth!

DS was large at 10 days early and they wanted to do blood sugar checks... one check was low so they wanted to do some formula.  I had never even consider this possibility, was totally exhausted (labored all night) and being a Biology instructor I know enough about blood sugar etc. to know it could be something worth formula but did not know enough to really know if at that time it was necessary.  We allowed it and that next night he would not go to sleep kept wanting to nurse but kept being upset and tired yet now settling down. Most likely because he had had the formula once and was now "primed" for larger amounts of food - which I was not making yet - so a little more formula (whichIi actually eventually asked for, they did not offer... I was on close to 48 hours no sleep and could not deal anymore without a short break).  

We keep nursing a ton etc. after I got a couple hours sleep but THEN his bilirubin results came back high.. borderline for needing immediate treatment but AGAIN I did not know enough or have enough information to make great decisions.  I now can think of a dozen other questions I should have asked before letting them put him in the bili-light bed but not much I can do about it now. During this time I could not nurse him all time time like we were doing (cause they want them actually in the lights for a couple hours in a row) and so more small amounts of formula supplementing.  I nursed him AND pumped as well but I was the main advocate for that - they should have sat down and talked with me about how to do this while still ensuring my milk would not be affected - if I had not known what to do who knows what would have happened.  My milk came in fine by the way the day we went home and I was able to nurse more often and not supplement any more.  I do think the formula slowed down his digestive system and thus we at one point went almost 3 days without pooping (after having pooped fine at the hospital) and this likely kept his bilirubin levels higher and we had to use the bili-blanket thing at home for a few days.

This was my 2nd baby too and I liked 90% of our experience and the birth was basically just as I had hoped/planned and educated myself about.  The hospital is fairly baby/birth friendly and things could have been a lot worse.  It could be that if I had learned more ahead of time I might have made the exact same decisions - but many not.  I have not actually taken the time to fully look into the blood sugar and bilirubin level issues yet.  At this point I have just tried to move on and process those things but to be happy that they did not result in any permanent BFing issues or anything like that.

Jcregan, Mom to DD 4yo. DS born 3/10/2011.winner.jpg  waterbirth.jpg   and trying cd.gif  for the first time.
#70 of 168 Old 04-29-2011, 08:07 AM

I had a wonderful, natural birth at a hospital, well, 2 actually.  I said I didn't want pain meds and they were never mentioned.  I had wonderfully supportive nurses, the baby was put to breast right after birth and I had nursing help the whole time I was there.  It was great and I have no complains!

#71 of 168 Old 04-29-2011, 08:10 AM

I had an excellent natural birth at a hospital.  My water broke first and my husband and I left for the hospital asap...we live on a farm out in the country.  My contractions started on the way to the hospital.  Nine hours after my water broke my little babe arrived!  The labor was intense and thanks to my birth plan - which spelled out my wishes explicitly, my husband, and the wonderful, supportive, gentle nurses, I had the delivery of my dreams.  :)

I did have a significant tear that required stitches and pitocin to stop the bleeding, but I hardly think that counts as it occurred after my sweet babe arrived.

Cool thread!

T

Blessed mom (11.10) and wife (5.01-met/12.07-married).  HI!  nocirc.gif  namaste.gif  

#72 of 168 Old 04-29-2011, 08:11 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by poorlittlefish View Post

I had a wonderful, natural birth at a hospital, well, 2 actually.  I said I didn't want pain meds and they were never mentioned.  I had wonderfully supportive nurses, the baby was put to breast right after birth and I had nursing help the whole time I was there.  It was great and I have no complains!

Yep, I had great births both times at the hospital with my CNM. Amazing, natural births... no fuss at all.
#73 of 168 Old 04-29-2011, 09:17 AM

yes! A well written out birth plan makes all the difference

Quote:
Originally Posted by teraze View Post

I had an excellent natural birth at a hospital.  My water broke first and my husband and I left for the hospital asap...we live on a farm out in the country.  My contractions started on the way to the hospital.  Nine hours after my water broke my little babe arrived!  The labor was intense and thanks to my birth plan - which spelled out my wishes explicitly, my husband, and the wonderful, supportive, gentle nurses, I had the delivery of my dreams.  :)

I did have a significant tear that required stitches and pitocin to stop the bleeding, but I hardly think that counts as it occurred after my sweet babe arrived.

Cool thread!

T

1st time mama to my little Diogenes, born 8/25/10
#74 of 168 Old 04-29-2011, 09:27 AM

All natural, in the hospital, except the IV of fluids. I was puking and couldn't keep even water down, it was the middle of the wee hours of the AM, I hadn't eaten since bedtime snack, so it was a compromise I was willing to make, and I think it did help me rehydrate and I was able to relax in the labor tub (hot water is awesome!) and I dilated pretty quickly, and was pushing by 8am.

#75 of 168 Old 04-29-2011, 10:32 AM

I had pitocin and an epidural for my first - planned on a natural birth, but my water broke and 12 hours later I wasn't contracting.  I wasn't given the option to do nipple stim, and I didn't have a doula to advocate for me.  Second birth was a 100% natural hospital birth, hopefully third will be too!

Lacie, mama to Ethan (5), Logan (2), and Dylan, born 5/12/11!

#76 of 168 Old 04-29-2011, 11:06 AM

For my first, my water broke before labor started (around 7:30 am).  I was in active labor by noon, and baby was born around 3:30 pm.  It was an awesome, empowering experience, and I couldn't wait to do it again.  I was at a freestanding birth center with midwives.  For my second, my water broke sometime in the afternoon on a Friday (it was a very slow leak), and labor did not start.  Per the birth center policy, I had to go to the hospital for an induction if I wasn't in active labor within 24 hours. Unfortunately, no labor. They started pitocin around 8:45 pm, and baby was born at 11:16 pm.  It wasn't that great in the hospital (my midwife was one of the most "medical" in this practice), but the birth went okay considering.  However, I was NOT prepared for afterwards.  I definitely second knowing the policies of the hospital (even if you're planning a birth center/homebirth).  I think the hospital usually allows rooming in, but because DD2 was heavier than 8 lbs 13 oz. (8 lbs 15 oz), they did the glucose checks.  Thankfully, while her first number was a bit low, I kept her nursing a lot, and the numbers only went up, so I didn't have to deal with them trying to push formula.  However, they continued the checks for 12 hours but refused to do the checks in the room.  My husband could go with her to the nursery, but he had to watch through a window.  They wouldn't let me do skin-to-skin under a blanket when she was cold, and they made up breathing issues (to the point where the neonatalogist yelled at the nursery nurses and told them the baby was perfectly healthy and should be with her mother).  Not to share horror stories, but I wish I had known their policies so that I could have prepared better for what I was unwilling to compromise on and what I would maybe be willing to compromise on.   

#77 of 168 Old 04-29-2011, 12:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Completely natural birth.....in a hospital. I was elated not just that I had a healthy baby but that the staff and my doctor followed my birth plan. It was the best birth experience I could have asked for.

#78 of 168 Old 04-29-2011, 12:49 PM

My first was born at home, which of course helps rule out a lot of intervention.

We had an 85 hour labor, and we did use some blue cohosh and eventually castor oil to get things going ... that was the extent of the intervention.  Well, that and manually breaking up some scar tissue on my cervix (ouch) on the second day. 

The first few days were very low-key, and it was only the last few hours that were really intense.  Then, DS was positioned in such a way he was giving me bone-breaking pain with each contraction.  I was in the birth tub, and refusing to get out because I was afraid the pain would get worse ;-)  Turns out, the birth tub helps with the actual muscular pain of the contraction itself, but not necessarily the pain of back labor!  When I finally got out of the tub, and tried a different position on the bed (two people pushing my knees to my shoulders while I laid on my back), everything was easy.  My charts read, "entire descent in one contraction."  He sorta fell out!

It's possible, I just wish I'd listened to my midwives more!

#79 of 168 Old 04-29-2011, 01:38 PM

Like pp, I had a c-section, even though I did many of the "right" things (educated myself about natural childbirth, planned a home, water birth, etc.).  I was nearly 42 weeks and was set to be induced on Wednesday, so I had an appointment with the on-duty OB on Tuesday morning.  Monday night, labour started naturally, but my contractions never got to the 1-1-5 threshold so I didn't call the midwives until Tuesday morning, and even then it was just to see if I should still go to the appointment since labour had started.  My midwife said to go to the appointment anyway so DP and I drove down to the hospital (only 5 minutes away).  The OB noticed my contraction and said she'd like to check me before we discussed anything else. So she did, and announced that I was 7 cm dilated, and said she could arrange for me to go straight to the birthing floor, but since I was planning a home birth, I told her we'd just go home.  She said she'd call the midwives.  They showed up probably around 11 am, just as I was planning on trying to get some more sleep.  This is where I think things went off track, although I'll never really know.  The midwife had me start going up and down the stairs to keep labour progressing (although I hadn't thought there was much trouble with this to begin with).  Long story short: at 8cm she ruptured the membranes, and an hour or so after that (stuck at 9 and obviously tired) she suggested that we transfer to the hospital.  Got an epi so I could rest, and was fully dilated before the epi set in.  Beb's HR would drop when ever I pushed though, so eventually they started getting worried and presented me with options.  I decided to skip the forceps, because likely the c/s would have happened anyway.  DS was born at 9:10 pm.  I wasn't in my room until 11 pm.

Factors that I feel contributed to my experience, and that I would change if I could:

* time that labour started - our alarm clock goes off at 5:30 am and labour started that evening, so by the time I was 8 cm, I'd been awake for nearly 30 hours.  I should have tried to sleep at 6 pm when I felt labour starting.

* feeling like a hostess when the midwives arrived (next time I won't worry about them, there are others to do that)

* Having the midwives arrive and feeling like 'okay it's business time', again, I should have remembered it was all about me and the beb.

* I'm pretty sure DS was posterior (so more spinning babes next time).

Despite everything, I was happy about the time I had at home to labour, my recovery from the c/s was fast, and I didn't have any problems breastfeeding, so although the experience wasn't what I hoped, I feel well prepared for next time, and I know what I'll try to do differently: sleep more and wait longer before calling the mw.

Megan - DP Mike - DS Jack (Feb 2010)

****5****10****15****20****25****30****35**stillheart.gif*40**

#80 of 168 Old 04-29-2011, 04:40 PM

I had a 100% natural home birth. I even caught the baby myself. It was amazing! I found hypnobirthing to be very useful. I dropped suggestions during my self-hypnosis that the baby come at 8am on her due date and that's exactly what she did.

#81 of 168 Old 04-29-2011, 09:09 PM

Like several past posters, I did everything within my reach to ensure that I would have a natural, drug-free birth -- I had a doula, was birthing with midwives, took a natural friendly childbirth class, had a birth plan, and read everything I could get my hands on.  I ended up with a c-section after laboring for 58 hours, and a) had developed a high fever b) baby's heart rate was slowing (probably a result of the pitocin, and c) baby was not descending even though I had progressed to 9cm.  

I feel like my circumstances were unusual though too -- my water broke before my labor started, something I had not even thought of when planning my birth, and my contractions did not get going regularly until we started pitocin 16 hrs after my water broke...

So, even though I planned a drug-free birth I ended up with an IV (which I will absolutely deny for my next birth because I feel like it kept me from being as mobile as I would have otherwise been), cytotec, pitocin, an epidural, and a c-section, AND antibiotics for being diagnosed as strep B+.  irked.gif

I'm hoping to plan a VBAC home birth for my second baby.  

thefragile7393 likes this.

Kelly: Mama to a spunky, joy-filled DD kid.gif(10/04/10), and a loving wife to a music-making DH broc1.gif (07/14/07) We fly-by-nursing1.gifand familybed1.gif, and are just starting to TTC#2 dust.gifhh2.gif

#82 of 168 Old 04-29-2011, 09:22 PM

I voted natural homebirth.  But I just realized I had a shot of pitocin AFTER because of PP hemorrhage. Does that count?  Almost had to transfer to the hospital afterwards, but the pit helped.  I think it was Pitocin....??  I don't think I could have done it naturally in the hospital as I spent about 4 hours pushing on and off and had NO urge to push.  I probably would have ended up with forceps/vacuum/c-section had I been in the hospital.   

ETA:  My second was also a natural homebirth but SO much easier!  I did still hemorrhage with a Pitocin after though.  

Wife to J. Mama to DD(3yo) & DS(1yo)
#83 of 168 Old 04-29-2011, 10:00 PM

I had planned to have a waterbirth at the birthing center in Oak Park but after laboring at home for almost two days, with my doula's support I went to the hospital and I ended up induced. I was just so tired at that point that I couldn't concentrate on my hypnobirthing stuff or anything really. I had everything else I wanted- baby placed in my arms, lots of skin to skin and rooming in, but I did have pitocin and after that, an epidural. My mom had also had a very long labor with sllloowww dilation so I think I ended up like that. I'm not sorry, I think I made the best decision possible and my son didn't experience any problems.

#84 of 168 Old 04-29-2011, 10:19 PM

I checked IV as with my first I did have an IV and had some Stadol through it...only 2 doses(which each does lasts an hour)...the last dose wore off right as I started pushing.  As I was puking and shaking violently through and between contractions I'm very glad I had it...I got one shot and went from 5-8cm in one hour and then 8-10 in the next hour.  But my next two births were all natural, no drugs or interventions(I had an IV after the birth of my 2nd for pitocin though). 

S, mama to L(DD)-12/04, K(DS1)-12/06, C(DS2)-03/09 & B(DS3)-05/11

#85 of 168 Old 04-30-2011, 06:12 AM

my plans for a free standing bc birth went awry, starting with my water breaking and labor did not get going after 24 hours (despite herbs, castor oil, nipple stim - we tried it all). ended up in the hospital induced with pitocin as my birthing center was not allowed to keep me there after the 24 hour mark. 35 hours in and i was 7cm dilated, still on pit but no epi. unfortunately 5 hours later and i had not progressed (baby was asynclitic) so at 42 hours after water breaking and 12 hours of pitocin labor i ended up with a cesarean. not at all what i hoped or planned for and five months later i'm still a little heartbroken about it. that being said, i know plenty of mamas who have had intervention free first bebes and it is totally reasonable and realistic to strive for and expect one. but i disagree with people (and i myself would have fallen into that category before giving birth) who say that you shouldn't even think about or consider anything happening other than your perfect natural birth. i was fully confident in myself and my caregivers (and even the hospital staff who had a relationship with my bc midwives and were very respectful of my wishes) and never in a million years would have thought i'd end up with a c-section. sometimes these things just happen. if i had been on the farm with ina mae could i have had my baby without interventions? i feel certain that i could have. i think the asynclitic situation could have been worked through but the time constraints that resulted in my hospitalization and the induction that followed were my downfall. that being said, i had a very healthy baby girl who had a 9/10 apgar and was nursing like a champ less than an hour after her birth. i wish i could have given her a kinder gentler birth but that isn't always possible. do everything you can to be prepared for a natural birth (good caregivers, back up plan if a hospital transfer is required - for example i wish i'd had a doula because my midwife couldn't come with me) but also be open to the plan that the universe has for you and your child and do what has to be done to keep both of you safe and healthy.

best of luck in your upcoming adventure! once you are a mama the obsession with childbirth is pale by comparison!

#86 of 168 Old 04-30-2011, 06:32 AM

My first birth was in a hospital.  100% natural.

Water broke as first sign of labor at 1:30am - Tuesday.

Got to hospital at 8:30am.

Contraction started at 4:30pm.

Baby was born at 3:14am - Wednesday.

I had absolutely no interventions.  Midwife at the hospital told me if I didn't start contractions by 1:30am (24 hours after water broke) they would "have" to induce contractions because of hospital rules.

Reading some of the stories after I gave birth made me very thankful I was in a natural birth friendly hospital, absolutely nothing was pushed on me or asked of me as far as medical intervention goes.  (I still had my next baby at home!)

Mama to three

#87 of 168 Old 04-30-2011, 07:05 AM

My first was an accidental unassisted birth in the backseat of a car, so yeah, no interventions.

Partner to Rbikenew.gif ('03); Parent to T read.gif('07), Aviolin.gif ('10), and E ecbaby2.gif ('13)

femalesling.GIFhomeschool.gifchicken3.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif 

#88 of 168 Old 04-30-2011, 09:39 AM

I had a waterbirth at the hospital.

Mom to DD born March 2010, and someone new March 2012

#89 of 168 Old 04-30-2011, 09:48 AM

My first birth was an hospital birth all the way. My baby came breech presentation. I was lack of birth education, my husband was scared due our ignorance in the topic and choices. I end up with a C-section and 36-37 weeks, baby was healthy in general, iwas lack of confidence with my cpacity of breasfeeding properly. In the moment i didn't see how I was mess up with just all the process.

My second birth was a complety different scenario. I was 200 % confident and I had a hillarious and beautiful HBAC. I just have an ultrasound to check the placenta previa, and that's all. I never plan to go the hospital at less that a real medical issue araised. I pay the birth from my pocket even tought our finances was really bad, but was not other option, otherwise I will be end up with another c-section for sure.We still very happy about and by the way my midwive count my second birth like it was my first, because I never started labor with my first.

Mama of and , partners.gif with  Love
#90 of 168 Old 04-30-2011, 12:12 PM

first child was born with an epidural at the hospital with an OB.  I wanted to go natural, but it didn't happen.  Second child was born at home.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page