How was the birth of your first? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: What was your FIRST baby's birth like? (check all that apply)
100% Natural 204 100.00%
IV 102 100.00%
Pitocin (or other contraction stimulant) 83 100.00%
Epidural (or other pain/sleep meds) 92 100.00%
C-Section 39 100.00%
Vacuum 16 100.00%
Forceps 6 75.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 168 Old 04-26-2011, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I was just curious after my new moms group today, how many first time mothers gave birth without an IV, Pitocin, Epidural, etc. It seems like every new mom I know needed some intervention and I live in an area with a LOT of supportive doulas, midwives, birth centers, and even hospitals. I just wonder: How realistic is it to expect a 100% natural birth with the first baby? 

* I changed the title because I thought more people would open it with a more neutral name.

(I included IV because I was taught it's an intervention in my Bradley class. I think I was using "natural" to mean intervention-free but thinking about it now, it's really not the same thing!)

hijab.gif Learning to... sewmachine.gif andphotosmile2.gif with mybabyf.gifby my side!

#2 of 168 Old 04-26-2011, 03:35 PM

I think it depends on how long you labor at home.  I was with a midwife practice that delivered both in a hospital and a birth center.  I was risked out of the birth center for slightly elevated BP, so I had to go to the hospital to give birth.  I labored at home for 12 hours and kept in touch with the midwives, then stopped by the birth center so they could check my progress.  Fortunately I was at 6 cm and we went on to the hospital, where I was only in the room for 4 hours before he was born.  The midwives took care of ordering noninvasive monitoring (I guess it was intermittent, but I was so out of it I don't remember much except that I was mobile most of the time I was there).  I had a hep lock but no IV.  By that point I was not hungry anyway.  My labor actually picked up once I learned that I had made progress, so there was no reason for augmentation.  An epidural did not occur to me until I was in transition, and then they got me up on the bed and I pushed the baby out. 

Now, had I gone to the hospital before I did, and had an OB rather than midwives, it might have been a whole different story.  My labor was erratic during those 12 hours -- it slowed down and started back up depending on what I was doing (bathtub and reclining on couch slowed it down, climbing stairs and walking sped it up).  The contractions were never in a consistent pattern.  The 5-1-1 rule, for example, would have gotten me there first thing that morning, which would have been a HUGE mistake.  So for FTMs, I absolutely think that staying home as long as possible is the key. 

SAHM to Bird (6/07) and Bear (7/09), and now enjoying our newest additionbabyboy.gif, born June 1, 2011!  bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifsigncirc1.gifcd.gif

#3 of 168 Old 04-26-2011, 03:39 PM

I had IV fluids, and didn't put it but cytotec for PP hemorrhage, but the PP hemorrhage was because my platelets had dropped for some mysterious reason, I was loosing a lot of blood. 

and I consented to the IV when I got to the hospital because I knew I was a bit dehydrated because I didn't really drink water while laboring at home. by the time they finally got it in two hours later I didn't feel dehydrated anymore, but had a hard time getting them to understand I no longer wanted it because the doc had already ordered it. 

Marissa, Partner to J geek.gif, SAHM to A (05/09)fly-by-nursing1.gif and I (03/11)stork-boy.gif. we cd.gif
selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.giffemalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif part-time and familybed1.gif through infancy. planning ahomebirth.jpg
#4 of 168 Old 04-26-2011, 03:43 PM

With my first, I was clueless. I wasn't in the world of birth and babies. I was 20 years old and my oldest was a surprise. So I saw an OB and did basically everything I was told. Alyssa was induced because she was 10 days late, with pitocin and an epidural. It's only luck that I didn't end up with a c-section.

So, the fact that you are here and researching what is best for you and baby means that you are much more likely to get the birth you want. Good luck to you! Educate yourself. You know yourself and what you are comfortable with. 

Thandiwe and youngspiritmom like this.
#5 of 168 Old 04-26-2011, 04:02 PM

I had a c-section, even though I did many of the "right" things (educated myself about natural childbirth, hired a doula, kept myself mobile during labor for as long as possible, etc.).

Factors that contributed to my experience:

* I had to have a hospital birth, because of financial constraints.

* I was working full-time with very limited maternity leave, so I was working until almost the moment labor began. I was basically exhausted before it even started.

* Labor began with water breaking, a very unusual labor pattern.

* I was an "old" first-time mom (38).

* About 12 hours into my labor, it was interrupted by my lawyers (long story, for some other time).

* I think my baby was poorly positioned, but I don't really know for sure.

I had an unusually difficult labor. I believe that most women with more support and fewer unusual circumstances can have a natural labor if they want one. I also believe that childbirth is unpredictable and untameable, and even the best planning cannot guarantee a perfect outcome. And of the women I know who got the natural childbirth they planned for, some were thrilled with their experience, others were traumatized by it. As a first time mom, it's just really, really hard to know what's going to happen and how you'll feel about it.

Living in Wisconsin with my partner of 20+ years and our DDenergy.gif(Born 10/09/08 ribboncesarean.gif). Why CI Mama? Because I love contact improvisation!

#6 of 168 Old 04-26-2011, 04:09 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
We did Bradley. I stayed home until I was truly uncomfortable.. got to hospital nine centimeters dilated and the CNM was awesome. I walked around, found my own cozy positions and was never touched unless they crept up to me to check the baby's heartbeat. I pushed the baby out, the well checks happened with baby in my arms. Baby was nursing in minutes. Half an hour later, I get a quick shower, put on my own gown and eat Chinese food delivered by a friend. I left for home and was in my own bed 14 hours later.
#7 of 168 Old 04-26-2011, 04:29 PM
L J

I did. 100% natural home unassisted birth.

I seriously doubt I could birth naturally in the hospital, unless I arrived pushing. Contractions while laying down is not for me.
ElizabethE and Sweetsummer like this.

Laura, mama to Henry 01.28.07 uc.jpg
candle.gif missing Jack, born still in the car 08.23.10 at 36 weeks 
Loving on Catherine, my  rainbow1284.gif 09.01.11, UC

#8 of 168 Old 04-26-2011, 04:36 PM

I think it all depends on your care provider and where you're giving birth. If you have a good support system and you feel like you are in control I think you have a great chance :)

Also, doulas can really help with this thumb.gif

Maela likes this.

Amber ******

Birth Doula, Placenta Encapsulator, & Birth Photographer in Southeast Michigan

http://gentlebirthwithamber.sharepoint.com

#9 of 168 Old 04-26-2011, 04:46 PM

Very good poll idea.

One of my pet peeves is when new mothers are told that they can't possible birth naturally. Ughh.

My 1st was a natural homebirth.

Sweetsummer likes this.

Lovin my sweet babygirl 3-17-10love.gif and expecting another in March! love.gif

#10 of 168 Old 04-26-2011, 05:00 PM

First and only - natural home birth.

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#11 of 168 Old 04-26-2011, 05:24 PM

100% natural home birth here for my 1st (and as of now, only) child. We had a great supportive midwife, acupuncturist, and a lot of nipple stimulation with a splash of castor oil. winky.gif

#12 of 168 Old 04-26-2011, 06:37 PM

I had an IV and received pitocin after the birth.

Wife to amazing dh, mama to dd 12/08
#13 of 168 Old 04-26-2011, 06:46 PM

Antibiotics but otherwise a natural homebirth for our one and only.

I hate when people tell me that was brave. I tend to look at them funny even though I try not to :)

WAHM to DD 08/09
#14 of 168 Old 04-26-2011, 06:53 PM

natural home birth

#15 of 168 Old 04-26-2011, 06:54 PM

my first (as well as the consecutive two) were born w/o any sort of intervention with the exception of a few herbs and one internal check (that was only with my first). I thought it was odd how shocked people seemed at my first LLL meeting when I said I was planning a home birth (again with my first).

orngbiggrin.gif mom of three with stork-suprise.gif on the way

#16 of 168 Old 04-26-2011, 07:35 PM

I see you're in Durham--I had both my babies there: first in the hospital; second at home. First was augmented with pit after 20 hours of ROM with no contractions. Delivered naturally thereafter--no drugs or other interventions, apart from abx for GBS. I don't know anyone IRL who gave birth in the hospital and didn't have some sort of intervention--almost always, pit-->epidural-->c/s. But I do know several who had lovely natural births at the Birth Center in CH or with the UNC Midwives in the hospital. So there's hope! Just stay away from OBs, even those that talk a good talk about natural birth...

read.gifSarah ~ wild.gifds X 12/05 ~ flower.gifdd E 3/08 h20homebirth.gif  ~  stork-suprise.gif 7/12 dizzy.gif

#17 of 168 Old 04-26-2011, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter

I started at the Birth Center and had to transfer to the hospital (UNC) and so did most of the other recently new moms I know. One was a home birth transfer. We all had midwives and doulas and were highly educated about birth. We all had interventions. My interventions started at the BC so I won't blame them all on the hospital. I guess there's a bit of a feeling for me like what went "wrong," but I know I needed the interventions I had... I don't know I guess I'm still processing my birth experience dizzy.gif

hijab.gif Learning to... sewmachine.gif andphotosmile2.gif with mybabyf.gifby my side!

#18 of 168 Old 04-26-2011, 08:31 PM

Both of mine were natural homebirths.

-Angela

#19 of 168 Old 04-26-2011, 08:52 PM

Natural birth at the birth center. My only intervention was antibiotics for GBS (the IV was placed and removed after the antibiotics went in) and my only complication - a small level 2 labial tear that didn't require any stitching.

sleepytime.gif
#20 of 168 Old 04-26-2011, 10:23 PM

I had my son at a freestanding birth center (not attached to or in any way affiliated with a hospital).  No drugs, no IVs.  I did have some herbs before labor, because my waters began leaking well before contractions started, but that was totally my choice.  After about 24 hours I knew that the risk of infection went up, and fortunately the herbs and acupuncture worked to start contractions (or my body just naturally did it on its own).

Had I been under the care of an OB though, and not a midwife, my birth probably would have gone very, very differently, even with the help of a doula, due to my waters breaking well before labor began (almost 36 hours).  So I think in my situation, my choice of practitioner probably contributed a lot to my final outcome, based on my unique circumstances.

It was an outstandingly positive experience for me, and now I'm looking forward to doing it all over again with baby 2!

Wife to DH geek.gif, mom to DS (4/09), and DD (8/11)fly-by-nursing2.gif, and crafty and hardworking in my own right!  In my parenting journey I've  delayedvax.gif, signcirc1.gif, familybed2.gif, h20homebirth.gif, andcd.gif.  To each family their own!!

"There are words for people like me, but I don't think there are very many."

#21 of 168 Old 04-27-2011, 05:45 AM

Natural here, but we had a home birth so I didn't have to worry about coercion or pressure from hospital staff. I was really determined to have a natural delivery with my first because I read way too many birth stories where mothers sought home births with later children because of horrible hospital experiences with their firsts :(

#22 of 168 Old 04-27-2011, 09:28 AM

I vote 100% natural, but the disclaimer is that my first baby was breech and thus, was a scheduled c-section.  So I didn't really have a choice with him and won't count it, since it wasn't even an attempt.  My daughter, a VBAC, and my first actual *attempt* at a vaginal birth, was 100% natural.  I'm guessing my son would have been too, had he been more cooperative about positioning.  She was a hospital birth.

Mom to James (ribboncesarean.gif 5/2006), Claire (vbac.gif 6/2008), furry kitties Calvin and Bob, and wife to Dennis. 

#23 of 168 Old 04-27-2011, 09:40 AM

My first (and only so far) was a home birth that ended in transfer. The only intervention I had was pitocin augmentation after I had already been pushing for 6 hours. I think most first time moms can have a natural birth if they have the right care giver and a supportive environment. Unfortunately most OBs are NOT supportive of natural birth.

#24 of 168 Old 04-27-2011, 09:51 AM

I am curious why having an IV with only a saline solution for fluids isn't considered natural enoug to be 100%?  There's no antibiotics, no pain meds, nothing going in that isn't "natural" and certainly nothing that's going to change labor at all so why is that not natural enough? 

#25 of 168 Old 04-27-2011, 09:55 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by happysmileylady View Post

I am curious why having an IV with only a saline solution for fluids isn't considered natural enoug to be 100%?  There's no antibiotics, no pain meds, nothing going in that isn't "natural" and certainly nothing that's going to change labor at all so why is that not natural enough? 

An Iv is an intervention to natural labor and may actually impede your body's progress.

http://www.birthingnaturally.net/barp/iv.html
youngspiritmom likes this.
#26 of 168 Old 04-27-2011, 10:23 AM

If you labored and delivered your baby with only an IV, you can count yourself 100% natural in my book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happysmileylady View Post

Stephanie-33 lucky mama of 5 precious ones: DD-12, DS-9 , DS-6 , and DD-3 and Bridget Alannah  SHE'S ONE NOW! loving wife to DH-38
#27 of 168 Old 04-27-2011, 11:12 AM

My first was a wonderful home birth and of course 100% natural.  Planning a second HB with #2.  

Partner  partners.gif(10 years) Mother to Lily hearts.gif (4 years), Jonas babyboy.gif (1.5 years),  1 dog , and 1 cat 

#28 of 168 Old 04-27-2011, 11:17 AM

I gave birth at 21 y/o in a birth center 100% naturally. I did hypnobabies winky.gif

I think it depends on the mom. If you view birthing as something that needs treatment, then it will. If you trust yourself and your body and know you do not want any intervention, you can do it. Same with anything really. If you make up your mind and 100% commit you should be fine.

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#29 of 168 Old 04-27-2011, 03:17 PM

My first and only was an all-natural homebirth. The only intervention I might have encountered was AROM. My midwife mentioned it off-hand as a possibility, I said no, and the baby was born in the caul, which I thought was really cool.

In general, if you have your first in a hospital, there's a super-high chance you're going to encounter those interventions, even if you go in pretty well informed. The best way to get a natural birth is to stay at home with a midwife, or pick a freestanding birth center.

Jen, journalist, policy wonk, and formerly a proud single mama to my sweet little man Cyrus, born at home Dec. 2007 . Now married to my Incredibly Nice Guy and new mama to baby Arthur.
#30 of 168 Old 04-27-2011, 03:20 PM

I would totally consider a delivery with an IV a "natural" birth, but I wouldn't want an IV for myself unless it was medically indicated. Mostly because of the pain and inconvenience factor. It's hard to move around naturally and easily with a IV pole dragging behind you. A heplock will give you more mobility, but it's still uncomfortable. And really, what's the need? What do you get out of an IV that you don't get from a cup of water and a straw? It's just an easy vehicle for things you don't want, like Pitocin.

I've seen some studies suggesting that IVs during labor can actually cause fluid overload. A laboring woman will drink to thirst, and that's fine.

Jen, journalist, policy wonk, and formerly a proud single mama to my sweet little man Cyrus, born at home Dec. 2007 . Now married to my Incredibly Nice Guy and new mama to baby Arthur.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page