Birthing Ball questions...need insight! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 05-02-2011, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am petite (5'2'' and 100lbs not pregnant). I used a Peanut shaped birthing ball during my labor with Kadie. I am not sure what size it was but it was blue and my feet barely touched the ground (haha). I contacted my Birthing Center and they do not that particular shape of birthing ball. I have begun to look at Peanut shaped exercise balls and have found them to be all different sizes.

If I choose to buy a peanut shaped ball I was wondering if maybe the green one would be better? What do you think? Here's the site I'm looking at: http://www.isokineticsinc.com/catego...Fch-5QodClVQpg

Any advice or insight on choosing an exercise ball to use during labor?

Any reason, besides the obvious shape of the birthing ball-I sat in the middle of the peanut and bounced along with my daughter's heart rate- where one would be better than the other?

Jamie: Kinda crunchy, computer geeky, very blessed, attached mama to five
R (4/1997), A (6/2002), B (07/2007), K (06/09) & N (10/17/2011)

#2 of 3 Old 05-03-2011, 09:20 AM

I haven't seen the peanut shaped balls. It looks like it would be more stable.

I personally don't like the anti-burst balls, though. I bought one for myself and found it very uncomfortable. It didn't inflate like a regular ball, and I couldn't sit on it for very long. My doula had a regular one, and I liked it a lot better.

ribboncesarean.gif 2/4/2009.  hbac.gif 9/6/2011!

#3 of 3 Old 05-03-2011, 10:18 AM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

I have a burst resistant one, but unlike the pp I like it better than the regular ones- it feels more stable to me and I didn't have any trouble inflating it all the way.  When I bought mine I remember them telling me to sit with my legs at a 90 degree angle and have someone measure the height from floor to my thighs/butt.  That way you can tell which size to get (a touch larger to account for compression).  The peanut shape is interesting and I've never used one before.  I could see it being more stable, though I didn't feel the ball was out of control in any way.

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page