Gotta change fetal positioning ASAP! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 05-10-2011, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)

**I'm not sure if I'm supposed to post this here or somewhere else, but I'm specifically looking to hear from Doulas or Midwives.  I'm sorry if I'm not supposed to post here.**

I am 37 weeks and 3 days pregnant.  I feel my baby's butt mostly in my right rib cage and to the right of my belly button, maybe slighlty higher.  The butt protruding out VERY firmly at times to the point that it almost feels like the butt is a foot stretching and about to burst out of my belly!  But, two professionals have palpated recently and felt that was the butt and not a foot and seemed to be able to follw the back from there, down my right side.  At my last vaginal exam, the doctor was pretty positive that the head was down and he felt "skull".  And he did that thing with the thumb and forefinger where he seemed to be grabbing and wiggling the head right above my pubic bone.

However, I feel some grinding and a full feeling in my hip socket on the LEFT side (diagonally opposite of where I feel the butt) just above where my thigh creases and meets my pelvis.  It feels super compact right in my left pelvis almost at all times like some part of baby has really settled in there for good.  When baby does a big stretch of the whole body, I feel that butt protruding upper right like I said, but then some major portion of the body pushing very hard inside my left hip.  My last baby got stuck in my hip and it caused a prolonged labor, and a really long transition.  It was suspected that she was posterior and asynclitic (although I did not have any back labor whatsoever).  It was awful and the pain of that superceded uterine contractions to the point that I never felt contractions - just the hip labor pain where I think the last baby was stuck and I'm terrified that this baby is stuck the same way.  I was so paralyzed with pain that I couldn't even experiment with labor positions once I passed 5cm-I was stuck in my bed on my side suspending one bent leg in the air trying to open my hip to get her the heck out of that spot!

This fetal position has been the trend with this baby despite going to the chiropractor, doing psoas release work, laying almost exclusively on my left side (should I not?) and having my belly button point as downward as I comfortably can.  I try to do lots of crawling, bouncing on the ball, hands and knees, etc.  But she always seems to reside in the same spot.  I've even tried to maneuver her over using my hands to the left or at least out of my hip socket.  I've also tried doing the "Open Knee Chest" position from spinning babies to help tip the baby tip out enough to realign better as she re-settles. (Only for 30 seconds a day).  Nothing seems to encourage her to come out of that left hip.

My questions are:

1. What part of baby is filling my left pelvis so compactly if her head has been felt above my pubic bone?  I can't envision how she could be positioned!

2. WHAT CAN I DO, right now, before labor starts to get her out of my hip and prevent her from being jammed in there like the last baby? 

I made it through a natural birth last time, but it was the worst 2 days of my entire life (just happened to bring one of the best outcomes) and I always swore that if that hip labor (asynclitic?) thing happened again, I would be getting an epidural to avoid the emotional trauma I experienced. 

#2 of 18 Old 05-10-2011, 06:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'd go to a chiropractor, like now.

You need optimal diameters to work with in labor and a few adjustments to optimize your pelvis and spine would be the first place I'd start.  I'm less worried about baby's position now, than I am during labor.  Baby can and will move, but they need as much well aligned space as we can give them.

Angela

Doula2You

#3 of 18 Old 05-10-2011, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

I am going to the chiro regularly and she says my hips are moving great and that my SI joints are in great shape.  She only recommends that I keep my psoas and piriformis loose (piriformis had been giving me major trouble before treatment) and so she has me do muscle work with her massage therapist before each adjustment.  Every time, she says I look great and my pelvis is in the best shape of any of her pregnant patients.  My left hip always seems to fall out of place a tidbit, but not too badly (I think I exacerbate the left hip since I am constantly laying on it).

#4 of 18 Old 05-11-2011, 09:33 AM

I am not a birth professional, but I have had a c/s for malpositioning (posterior/asynclitic) and I am knee-deep in optimal fetal positioning stuff now with pg #3. thumb.gif

You could try going for the full inversion instead of open knee chest. Also the abdominal lift might get her out of there. Daily pelvic tilts in conjunction with inversions/lifts might also encourage her to move. (I assume you have a normal amt of amniotic fluid? If you have a lot of extra fluid I would not do the inversion/lift for fear of cord prolapse.)

About laying on your left side: I know that's how we are supposed to sleep, but would it be better to try the other side to let gravity work for you (am I understanding her position correctly)? I know back sleeping compresses blood vessels -- not sure about the right side. confused.gif

Keeping your pelvis loose and keeping your uterine ligaments as balanced as possible, so your uterus is not torqued, is creating the best possible conditions for her to move, either now or during labor. I think you're already doing a lot of good work on that front! I do daily pelvic tilts, hamstring stretches, and hands-through-the-hole to try to keep things loose and balanced down there.

Contrax might reposition her in early labor, but if not, there is lots of stuff you can do in early labor to help the contrax move her. All of those techniques are on spinning babies, as I'm sure you know.

All we can do is our best -- we don't have a huge amount of control over the variables. It sounds to me like you are doing many good things to help the situation. Imagine if you were not doing chiro, doing your exercises/stretches, and laying on the couch! You're doing your best to create optimal conditions, and that's all we can do.

hug2.gif I will be thinking of you! Good luck, mama!

coolshine.gif Mama to DS ('06), DD ('08), and DD (9.18.11).

#5 of 18 Old 05-11-2011, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the encouragement!  I'm just like you - knee deep in OFP info! 

Yes, I think you're understanding my description of position just right.  Last night I allowed myself to just lay on my right side more if I felt like it and it felt reallt good.  My left hip appreciated the break and wasn't sore when I woke up.  But, I think you're right...laying on the right a little more might give her the advantage of gravity to get out of there.  I mean, laying on my left has not helped her to settle her back on the left side anyway, so why not! 

I'm so scared of the full inversion and belly lifts because of the cord issue.  As far as I know I have a normal amount of fluid, but I do tend to measure a week or two ahead.  (Not sure why, could be fluid, I measured that way last time too.  Doctor is not at all concerned about it).

I should defnintely add hamstring stretches.  I have tried the hand through the hole stretch but laying on my back is just torcherous.  I can't breathe and it starts mere seconds after I'm on my back.  I'll try it again today though...  My massage therapist keeps telling me I should squat in order to stretch the psoas but I am so worried I'll encourage the baby to engage while she's in a bad position!  She also wants me to do butterfly stretches while on my back, ugh.  Well, I'll just have to try to get through some stretches while on my back.  I have a history of blacking out quite frequently while pregnant (once while I was on my back) so I'll probably wait for dh to get home and supervise, heh heh.

The position I can breathe best in and am most comfortable in while lounging is AWFUL and I'm sure would make my uterus torqued: On couch, leaning to the left onto the arm of the couch with legs drawn up partly under me.  I can imagine how it probably curves my spine in a way that is not optimal.  So I've tried to modify that to laying on my side against that couch arm, with pillows propping me up enough to be able to play blocks and read books with my 1 yr old.  It's still probably not the best, but I simply can't sit upright or stand ALL the time!

I'm just gonna do my best with posture for the next 3-4 weeks...

#6 of 18 Old 05-11-2011, 12:04 PM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

What you are all discussing is definitely out of my scope of knowledge, so forgive me if this is a silly idea.  :)  But, I know acupuncture and moxibustion especially are quite effective at turning breech babies.  Any thought to trying it for this? 

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#7 of 18 Old 05-11-2011, 01:16 PM

I recently had a client who had a baby that was in the transverse position, and at the inversion appointment I pressed on the acupressure point on the pinkie toe, just above the toenail every 5 minutes for 15 minutes while she was being monitored. By the time they did the ultrasound to check baby's position before starting the inversion, baby's head was down. I'm still a newer doula, and I don't know much about this topic, but I do know that acupuncturists have a 75% success rate in turning breech babies and are great at helping baby's change position. Maybe trying acupuncture?

#8 of 18 Old 05-11-2011, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter

I am definitely open to accupunture/pressure.  I can't exactly afford both that and chiropractic at the same time though.  One main problem is that I don't know what position the baby is in...I don't know what I'm trying to get her to do, ya know?  (Ive looked at spinning babies, a LOT...I am still confused). 

From what my doctor told me, she IS head down...but it just doesn't feel like it to me.  My chiro also told me she was head down a couple weeks before my doctor confirmed this.  That's why I can't figure out what mass is sinking into my left pelvic area.  I can't even envision what I'm trying to get her to do, because I don't understand how she's positioned.  I don't know if any accupuncture person would really know what to do with me if I am confused about her positioning. 

#9 of 18 Old 05-11-2011, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone know anything about rebozo sifting?  I tried it just now with dh and, though it's supposed to allow my abdomen to relax, it just felt really awkward and sort put a strain on my back.  Maybe the library table I was leaning onto was a bad height though? 

#10 of 18 Old 05-11-2011, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dot-to-Dot View Post

Anyone know anything about rebozo sifting?  I tried it just now with dh and, though it's supposed to allow my abdomen to relax, it just felt really awkward and sort put a strain on my back.  Maybe the library table I was leaning onto was a bad height though? 

It's kind of hard to explain it in words, but there are a couple of you tube videos on it. Also, spinning babies has a video on there as well.

I'm not sure how high the table you were using is, but you should be on all fours.

Lovin my sweet babygirl 3-17-10love.gif and expecting another in March! love.gif

#11 of 18 Old 05-11-2011, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter

I had looked up youtube vids but only saw one where they used the rebozo for sifting and the lady was standing and leaning over something about the height of my library table (same vid on spinning babies).  But then I scrolled down to see a pic of a woman doing it on a ball.  On all fours or leaning onto a ball sounds better so I'll try again after dinner.  I just read the statement from SB, about how it should be enjoyable and if not, adjust the technique.  That's simple enough for me, I guess!  (I should have read all the way down the SB page before posting on this thread, oops).

#12 of 18 Old 05-11-2011, 07:47 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I haven't dealt with a breech but had one that was a very stubborn transverse lie.. like I'd swallowed a watermelon. I went swimming a couple of afternoons at the YMCA and that did the trick. Once the baby was properly arranged I took a really long walk to settle her in.

My daughter is 17 years old now but this handout is similar to the one my midwives gave me.
http://www.birthingnaturally.net/birth/challenges/turnbaby.pdf
#13 of 18 Old 05-11-2011, 09:02 PM

I'm not a professional but just wanted to say that you should sleep on your right side if that is comfy. I've always been more comfortable on my right side vs left in every pregnancy and it has never caused any positional issues for birth.
I would think that gravity could help you out if you were to lie on your right side as well as your left.
Also relax smile.gif baby still has lots of time for moving and getting into position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S, mama to L(DD)-12/04, K(DS1)-12/06, C(DS2)-03/09 & B(DS3)-05/11

#14 of 18 Old 05-13-2011, 12:46 PM

Quote:

I am definitely open to acupuncture/pressure.  I can't exactly afford both that and chiropractic at the same time though.  One main problem is that I don't know what position the baby is in...I don't know what I'm trying to get her to do, ya know?  (Ive looked at spinning babies, a LOT...I am still confused). 

I just had a acupuncture appointment yesterday and I asked about your situation.  She said that even though the baby isn't breech that moxibustion was definitely worth a try.  She suggested looking up a practitioner on acufinder.com and that it was highly likely that a practitioner would not charge their full amount (full amount is usually $65-$120) just for a moxi appointment for turning a baby.  In fact, she said that when couples have come to her for this, she teaches the partner how to do it and sends them home with a stick of moxi so that he can do it several more times over the next few days.  Sounds like just one appointment, one payment.  In her experience moxibustion has turned babies 100% of the time either in the first appointment or within the next 2-3 days.  For this sort of technique it doesn't really matter what position the baby starts in, it encourages the baby to get into the correct position.  Plus, she added that if the cord or other mechanical situation is an issue in any way that the baby will not move, making it a very safe choice as well.  I really think it's worth looking into!

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#15 of 18 Old 05-13-2011, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much!  I will definitely try to find someone through acufinder.

Two nights ago, I laid on my right side and had dh wiggle and jiggle my left hip.  I can't be sure it did anything...but yesterday I saw something poke out under my ribs on the right and make a very long and smooth movement all the way down to my pelvic area...then back up...then all the way down again.  Then it poked around to the right of my belly button...knees, feet?  It couldn't have been a butt!  I don't think they can move their butts like that!  Which really makes me think she switched over and now has her back on my Left side.  Woohoo!  My chiropractor agreed she felt "more of a dense mass on the left side" but I have a feeling the baby is NOT facing my spine like she should because even though you can feel a dense mass, it still feels questionable and slightly mushier than I'd expect.  There's still time, I know.  So at the moment, I'm thinking maybe she's LOP...or LOT, is that right?  Anyway, I'd be willing to eat mac and cheese over the next week to save on groceries and pay for an accu appointment.  I'll check it out!  Thanks again, Jaimee!

#16 of 18 Old 05-14-2011, 09:25 AM

Quote:

Thank you so much! I will definitely try to find someone through acufinder.

Two nights ago, I laid on my right side and had dh wiggle and jiggle my left hip. I can't be sure it did anything...but yesterday I saw something poke out under my ribs on the right and make a very long and smooth movement all the way down to my pelvic area...then back up...then all the way down again. Then it poked around to the right of my belly button...knees, feet? It couldn't have been a butt! I don't think they can move their butts like that! Which really makes me think she switched over and now has her back on my Left side. Woohoo! My chiropractor agreed she felt "more of a dense mass on the left side" but I have a feeling the baby is NOT facing my spine like she should because even though you can feel a dense mass, it still feels questionable and slightly mushier than I'd expect. There's still time, I know. So at the moment, I'm thinking maybe she's LOP...or LOT, is that right? Anyway, I'd be willing to eat mac and cheese over the next week to save on groceries and pay for an accu appointment. I'll check it out! Thanks again, Jaimee!

That I know of my babies have never fully faced my spine until I go into labor...they typically are lying roa or loa. I don't ever remember feeling a back up front until labor. But it sounds like she moved so I hope she stays out of your hip now smile.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S, mama to L(DD)-12/04, K(DS1)-12/06, C(DS2)-03/09 & B(DS3)-05/11

#17 of 18 Old 05-14-2011, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter

I've read that that happens a lot...so here's hoping that she knows what to do when it's time.  I researched SO much the first time and felt very educated for a first time mom attempting a natural birth.  I am really happy I accomplished it and I see now why it was so important to understand so much before going through a hospital birth....but, I can't believe how I've still learned SO much this time around (mostly about positioning of baby and mama both).  My husband keeps telling me I should try to become a doula now.  :)  I'm so curious to see how/if my new education this time around will impact my actual physical experience.  ...38 weeks today...I'm ready when you are baby!

P.S.  Looked on acufinder and the nearest practitioner is 1 hour from here.  Ugh!  Two hours riding in a car (bucket seat bad for fetal positioning) in order to try for better fetal positioning...seems kind of counterproductive.  But I would LOVE to go.  Wish she was closer.

#18 of 18 Old 05-14-2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:
P.S.  Looked on acufinder and the nearest practitioner is 1 hour from here.  Ugh!  Two hours riding in a car (bucket seat bad for fetal positioning) in order to try for better fetal positioning...seems kind of counterproductive.  But I would LOVE to go.  Wish she was closer.

Acufinder.com doesn't list all practitioners, it's just the easiest way to find a reputable one quickly.  You could try just googling one, posting in the finding your tribe section, or calling the one that's an hour away and seeing what other options might be out there.  If this is something you really want to do and that practitioner is really the only one, perhaps you could prop yourself up on pillows in the car or maybe your dh can go and learn how to do it and come home with a stick of moxi.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page