Avoiding cervical checks in labor - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 05-11-2011, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

For some reason I really hate the idea of having to have a cervical check in triage. (I also hate the idea that I have to somehow justify not wanting some stranger's fingers up my cooter! Why isn't "I don't want one" considered sufficient reason to not do one?) My midwife warned me that's de rigeur at the hospital where I'm delivering, and when we took the hospital tour the other night, the nurse who led the tour said basically the same thing, and made it sound like one of the few things they do take a hard line on. So I'm in a bind. I don't want to throw a fit right off the bat if I can help it, because it really stresses me out to argue with medical providers under the best of circumstances, and I'm not sure how else to get out of it. Has anybody had any experience with this?

#2 of 6 Old 05-11-2011, 07:42 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I just flat out told them when I got there that we would wait for my CNM... no big! Gave birth at the same hospital two years apart.
#3 of 6 Old 05-11-2011, 07:54 PM

Agree with Philomom

Do you have a doula? She will be able to help you hold your space until your midwife comes to see you.

Wife to DHluxlove.gif DS 98thumb.gif DD 03flower.gif DS 09 babyf.gifwinner.jpgcd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

She is here!!! Oct 5th!!!joy.gif

#4 of 6 Old 05-12-2011, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

I like that, Philomom... I might have to use that. Feels less confrontational than a flat out No.

#5 of 6 Old 05-13-2011, 12:34 PM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

Can you arrive after you mw?  That way you could arrange to meet up with her before checking in.  I see this is your first birth so (while possible) it is unlikely you'll be rushing to the hospital.  More likely you'll have a conversation with your mw over the phone and she will be able to tell based on your voice and answers about where you are in labor.  Once she agrees it is time to come in your dh could ask what time she'll get there and you guys could set out accordingly to arrive a little after that time.  If you have a relationship with the mw that is delivering your baby (as opposed to whomever is on call that day) you could even work this out ahead of time so she understands your wishes.

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#6 of 6 Old 05-13-2011, 01:08 PM

don't fret.  i had a lot of similar worries after being told i had to deliver in a large hospital where such things were standard.  fortunately i was surprised and had great nurses that respected my wishes, cooperated and communicated well with my doula, and, believe me, they have seen it all before, requests like this are not new to them, but still, make your preferences crystal clear.  they did check my cervix in triage, but by then (i was 10 days post date) i was so excited to be having a baby i didn't care!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page