Keeping VBACs an option--what you can do - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 04-05-2004, 12:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm cross posting this from several other forums; I want to get it to as many of you as possible!

I am a nurse at a birthing center. ICAN just contacted us and informed us that April is C-section awareness month.

I think a great way to celebrate it and keep VBAC as an option is to write letters to your local hospitals, your doc or mw, and your local newspaper. For hospitals and practitioners that do still offer VBACs, thank them for continuing to provide that option. Emphasize to all how important of an option that is to women. If you have had or attempted a VBAC, please (if you so choose) share your story with them, and your thoughts.

For hospitals and/or practitioners that do not offer VBACs, let them know how crummy that is. Let the local newspaper know how pissed off it makes you. Let the hospital and practitioners know that we women are still exploring our options, and that they will lose revenue to hospitals and practices that DO offer VBAC as an option.

I live in Kansas, and across the state we have hospital after hospital that are deciding NOT to even offer VBACs anymore. Once a section, always as section. That is NOT how it should be. C-section is a very important procedure, but it should not be the only option available to moms who have had a previous c-section. Our birth center is the only facility in our town that offers VBAC, and we are fighting tooth and nail to be able to continue to offer VBACs; however, the powers that be in this town are bearing down hard on us. It would be wonderful to see some support in the local papers for VBACs and for the facilities and practitioners that continue to offer this option.

Here is a link to an article on ICAN's website:

http://www.ican-online.org/news/020904.htm

Thanks.

Lori
#2 of 3 Old 04-06-2004, 04:41 AM

THANK YOU...

I vbac'd seven months ago in a city 3 hours away so that i could attempt to have my baby naturally in a safe place without Dr.s giving me a hard time.....well , i still got the semi-hard time but I DID IT and now I'm finally getting around to thinking I need to do some of the things you mentioned. I have just met a girl in my town who is starting an ICAN chapter and I am really excited about becoming involved in support AND prevention of cesareans. Writing to our local paper is a great step. THanks for the idea...simple, but too obvious for me to come up with!

~Jessica
#3 of 3 Old 04-09-2004, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

I just wanted to bump this up, so that more mamas can see it!!!

Thanks, Jessica! Good for you for being such a great advocate for yourself and your baby.

Lori

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page