Recovering from Post-partum Hemorrhage - How long to feel normal again? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 05-16-2011, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DD was born May 7th and I lost about betwn 1200-1500 ml of blood afterwards. It was managed well and I was asymptomatic, amazingly - I was upon my feet, albeit slowly and went to the washroom about 90 minutes afterwards. We were home from the hospital about 4 hours after the birth (granted, my MWs would normally have kept me in overnight, but were ok with me going ghome in the care of my mom and sister, both of whom are midwives themselves). I was flat on my back for about 48 hours and then was able to start moving around a bit more.

Right now I feel somewhat 'normal' around the house, but a trip to the grocery store takes everything out of me! I'm taking 100 mg of elemental iron and eating and drinking lots and eating healthy. I know I'm doing well for the amount of blood I lost, but I'm starting to get bored and restless being tied to the house! My sweet DD is a perfect, quiet, laid-back baby and my 3-year-old would love to get out and do some things! DH has been off work and goes back on Friday.

I'm wondering if anyone has some insight into when I'll feel normal again, or at least a slower version of normal? Is there anything else I can do to speed up the recovery? I'm resting as much as I can tolerate - 1-2 naps a day and early to bed. Thankfully DD is not a fusser and wakes to nurse every 2-3 hours and then right back to sleep, so that helps.

Lindsay, mama to Owen (06.08) and Sadie (05.11) wool.gifpartner to the amazing J. 
#2 of 5 Old 05-16-2011, 04:55 PM

Hugs!!! I know exactly what you're going through. My first birth was very similar to this and I lost a quart of blood- enough to send me into fainting, shock and became anemic for months after. First, keep taking iron. I started "waking up" about 2 months after giving birth and it was a tremendous help but you have to give it time. Also, drink tons of water. I know we all hear that too much, but it's true! 

Me whistling.gif Wife / SAHM / Musician/ Actress/ Queen of this castle. Progeny: William (January 2007), Tristan (November 2008) and expecting Lukas stork-boy.gif due January 2012!!  lactivist.gif femalesling.GIFwaterbirth.jpg dishes.gif

#3 of 5 Old 05-18-2011, 07:39 PM

It takes three months for your blood supply to reestablish itself. With any luck you'll start to feel better before then - keyword "start". Keep taking your supplements, don't push yourself, eat like you've never eaten before, and rest like crazy whenever/wherever possible.

mom to: M born Aug 2011 & K 2yo

#4 of 5 Old 05-19-2011, 06:00 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks -  three months, eh? Ugh, well I guess I kinda knew that. My MW said that I will start to notice the effect of the iron in another week, so maybe that will help a bit. It doesn't help that it's raining, raining, raining here...

Lindsay, mama to Owen (06.08) and Sadie (05.11) wool.gifpartner to the amazing J. 
#5 of 5 Old 05-19-2011, 10:10 PM

It took me about two weeks before I stopped feeling short of breath and fast heartbeat every time I walked any distance, and probably 2-3 months before I felt somewhat normal. You have my sympathy!

“War is peace.
Freedom is slavery.
Ignorance is strength.”
― George Orwell, 1984

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page