TENS unit in labor - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-17-2011, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Any insight or experience?

Wife to DHluxlove.gif DS 98thumb.gif DD 03flower.gif DS 09 babyf.gifwinner.jpgcd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

She is here!!! Oct 5th!!!joy.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2011, 10:26 AM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

My cousin suffers from back pain and used hers during labor and said it was amazing!

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

Old 05-18-2011, 12:40 PM

I used it with both of my births; while some people find they are only good in the early stages of labor (and some find it annoying), I used mine up till the end and loved it! My husband said the only way he could tell I was having a contraction was that my TENS unit button would be pushed, otherwise I was mostly quiet and still. Between it, my hypnobabies relaxation technique, and just good luck, I had a med-free birth times two. I loved the TENS unit my midwife loaned me for my first birth so much that when I got pregnant the second time (in a different state), I bought a refurbished TENS unit specifically for labor from the UK for something like $60. Worth every penny!

You do have to use it starting in early labor or you won't be able to "catch up" to the sensation, and it is more of a concentration shifter/distractor rather than a "I feel no pain at all" kind of thing, but for me it was a lifesaver.

Old 05-18-2011, 08:54 PM

I used mine on my lower back with DD's labor. I have several bad discs to begin with, so I hoped it would help. That said, my labor was abnormally painful, I believe (cervical scar tissue, posterior baby...sigh) so hopefully this time around it's more helpful. I do remember cranking it up with every contraction. I had the sticky pads on my lower back.

Mama to Fenergy.gif(06/11/09) and baby boy C baby.gif (06/09/11) 

User Tag List