How much difference could a different dad make? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-21-2011, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Obviously, no one knows for sure since every baby and birth are different, but just wondering what others' experiences have been.

My first two children had the same father.  Both times, I went almost 2 weeks "overdue."  Both labours were very similar as well, in that I had no real early labour--I had very strong and painful contractions right from the beginning.  Both were also very long labours--24 and 36 hours.  The first time, I only ever dilated to 3cm before they did the c-section, and the second time, I also dilated very slowly (though i did eventually get to 10cm and started pushing, then he moved and wouldn't come down and i ended up with another c/s.)  Both babes were fairly large--my dd was 8 lbs 2.5 oz, and my son was 9 lbs, 3 oz. 

This baby has a different father.  I've noticed that i haven't gained as much with this pregnancy as with the other ones, and as of my last ultrasound, baby was measuring right on target, so not overly huge (maybe.)  Wondering if I can expect my labour to be similar to the others (overdue, slow to dilate, etc,) or if it's possible I can expect it to be totally different.  I know each subsequent baby is usually larger, so does that still usually hold true if the baby has a different father, or is it possible this babe could be smaller? 

Hoping for a VBA2C this time, and I know nobody can predict how things will go, just curious if those who've had babies with different dads have noticed that their bodies still acted the same in labour, and if their babies were similar sizes, or if they noticed any big differences, or none at all.

Robyn - In stillheart.gif with Tyson, Gothy Mama to fairy.gif Jasmyn (March 12 2003), jammin.gifGrayson (August 2 2005), my angel3.gif Aurora Hope (m/c Nov 10 2010), and baby.gif Sydney Rayne (September 17 2011)     ribboncesarean.gifx3

#2 of 4 Old 05-21-2011, 05:56 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

I thought I remember hearing, a couple years ago, about a study that said the father's genetics DO impact your pregnancy/labor.  I think that the baby releases something...a chemical?...and that signals your body to start labor.  If it's a chemical and that baby is made from the two of you, then I guess the chemical is a genetic product of the father as well as you.  *shrugs*  I only have this vague memory of the study, but it seems plausible.

#3 of 4 Old 05-22-2011, 09:30 AM

I have had 3 very quick births with my previous husband.  Big babies (over 8.4-9.4 lbs), went 2 weeks overdue with both girls, the last a boy, went right on due date.  (based on knowing conception dates.)  I gained a ton of weight each time. 

My last was with my new DH.  I gained just the right amount, baby was 3 days past due date, a lb smaller than my largest but still within the same range as my others. Just as quick of a labor.

I think the mom has the most influence as to how labor and delivery will go but no doubt the daddy plays a role.  I would think he plays the most role when it comes to build and such like if he was super tall and large framed and previous partnet wasnt, good chance current baby would be larger, therefore possibly making labor and delivery different.  Or vise versa.  I think though that the moms body has the most influence though but thats just my opinion, no scientific research there, lol.  Interesting thought though:)

homebirth.jpg  waterbirth.jpg buddamomimg1.pngmama to the Brady bunch 3 boys, 3 girls. 

DS Jan '02, DD Jan '04, DD Oct '05, DS Spt '07, DS Jan '10, DD Jun '11 Ouruc.jpg

#4 of 4 Old 05-22-2011, 02:03 PM

My only input is with my own mother. Her first three were with the same husband, and went in order, approx 12 hours, approx 6 hours, and approx an hour. We were all within 2 days of our due dates. The last with a different father went almost three weeks 'overdue' (conception date wasn't concrete) and the labor was approx 8-9 hours, and he was the biggest baby as well, though not by much. 

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page