Please vote, did you have an early urge to push? - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: If you've given birth vaginally without an epidural, when did you get the urge to push?
At or after full dilation 19 100.00%
Before full dilation, and pushing didn't cause problems 9 100.00%
Before full dilation, and I had to try not to push 6 100.00%
Did not get an urge to push 9 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 06-02-2011, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I'm curious how often mothers have the urge to push before complete dilation. I had it very strongly with both births, myself. I've heard some say pushing with urges didn't cause any problems and helped finish dilation, others had swelling or had to blow and hold back until first stage completed. Others got the urge to push promptly at 10cm or labored down gently without any extra pushing. Please vote and let me know what your experience was? Post in more detail if you'd like, also. Thanks!

#2 of 18 Old 06-02-2011, 09:32 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I went from 5cm to 8cm in less than an hour.  At 8cm I told my midwife I had to push right NOW.  She checked me and said "no, you are only at an 8 - relax - you'll be there soon".  She turned around, ungloved, and washed her hands.  I told her again - I have to push, I AM pushing.  Checked me again and I was complete not 3 minutes later. 

hippie.gif Hi, I'm Amber

Ava {12.20.08}  Levi {8.19.10}  Aspen  {EDD 7.21.13}

#3 of 18 Old 06-02-2011, 10:21 PM

Yes!

I had a very strong urge to push at 8cm, and I did little "half-pushes" to ease the pressure. My body took over at some point, though, and when it actually began pushing for real, I birthed my daughter in 2 pushes.

Natalie- Mom to DS1 (8/03), DS2 (9/04), DS3 (10/06), DD (10/10) and belly.gifwith baby #5 (12/11).

#4 of 18 Old 06-03-2011, 02:36 PM

I got a very strong, unmistakable urge to push at what turned out to be fully dilated with DS (my first).  No one believed me.  They had just checked me 45 mins prior and I was at 4cm then.  When I got the urge to push, I called a nurse in and told her.  She was kind of condescending and just humoring me and said "but we'll check you anyway."  Turns out I was fully dilated and they said to go ahead and start pushing.

#5 of 18 Old 06-03-2011, 03:10 PM

With DD we had a water UC so I dont know how dilated I was.  i pushed when  felt the urge and it was only a few pushes that she came out, 

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#6 of 18 Old 06-05-2011, 11:40 AM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

#1: reached 10cm and had absolutely no urge to push.  My mw's directed me to push and I  didn't realize that I was having a  latent phase and should have requested to rest instead.

#2: basically unassisted so when I reached that point  in transition where I felt like I couldn't take it  anymore I gave a little push and that started a cascade of reactions that resulted  in my son coming flying  into the world 2 1/2 pushes later.

Interesting article about the "Rule of 10" originally published by Midwifery Today:  http://birthskirt.blogspot.com/2010/03/rule-of-10-versus-womens-primal-wisdom.html

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#7 of 18 Old 06-07-2011, 05:28 PM

I was only at 7cm when I got the urge to push.  The nurse laughed at me, told me I wasn't anywhere near ready and walked out to leave me alone.  It HURT to not push so I did.  DD was born less then 10 min's later after a bunch of little uncontrollable pushes and 2 big uncontrollable pushes.  No swelling, no tearing.  It would have been horrible if I hadn't pushed anyway.

#8 of 18 Old 06-07-2011, 05:38 PM

we labored at home as long as we possibly could.  i began to feel the urge to push (but was too afraid to), so we left for the hospital.  on the drive there (about 15 minutes) the urge was even greater, but again i resisted.  when we got there, i was 8 cm.  so, yes, i had an early urge to push.

mother is a verb
I GOT MY vbac.gif!!!

#9 of 18 Old 06-07-2011, 05:39 PM

I felt an "early" urge to push but honestly I don't know if I was fully dilated at that point or not.  All I know is that I got into the position I wanted, started pushing a little, then decided it was a false alarm, settled down, then started pushing "for real" 10 or 20 minutes later.  The "early" pushing I did didn't cause any problems.

#10 of 18 Old 06-07-2011, 06:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
No one ever checked my dilation during my homebirth (so I didn't vote), but I don't think I had any early urge to push. The urge to push came on strong for the first time, I let my body do what it wanted to, the baby was born 20 minutes later.
#11 of 18 Old 06-08-2011, 07:32 PM

Both times I felt the urge to push just minutes before they came out, so I assume fully dilated.

#12 of 18 Old 06-09-2011, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigosky View Post

No one ever checked my dilation during my homebirth (so I didn't vote), but I don't think I had any early urge to push. The urge to push came on strong for the first time, I let my body do what it wanted to, the baby was born 20 minutes later.

yeahthat.gif Exactly the same here.

Beth- WOHM slinggirl.gif  -Madly in love with my Wife- SAHMhola.gifandbabyf.gifSophia, born 11/2/10, at home! homebirth.jpgExpressing love, one ounce at a time!  1pump.gif

#13 of 18 Old 06-09-2011, 04:38 PM

Well, I didn't vote b/c I didn't birth vaginally unfortunately, but I did get the urge to push at a "stretchy 7 cm." DS was known to be growth restricted so the MW kept telling me I did not have to be fully dilated to push b/c he was going to be so small. Just a few contrax after getting the urge, it disappeared and my cervix actually started un-dilating and DS moved from a +1 back to a 0 station, so my labor was dysfunctional. But, I share my story to say that my CNM was firmly of the opinion that a full 10 isn't "required" if that's not what your body is telling you.

#14 of 18 Old 06-21-2011, 02:34 PM

#1 -- at 7cm -- My body was bearing down on its own.  I really wasn't able to control it.  Agreed to epi to take away the urge because I was scared about bruising my cervix and getting no help from staff.  It was a military hospital, so I really had no choice who my staff was.   Then had a host of interventions -- internal monitor, pitocin, fetal scalp monitor, oxygen.....  Apgars were 9 and 10, so obviously there couldn't have been much of a problem.....  I carried her very low.  When I was in triage, the heartbeat was about 3 inches lower on my belly than they expected.

#2  - no checks, but I'm sure it started after full dialation.  Had the baby 11 minutes after getting checked into the hospital. 

#15 of 18 Old 06-29-2011, 07:19 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

Just had my first baby 2 weeks ago! My body started bearing down on its own. I thought I just needed to poop because the midwife told me I was only in early labor with contractions 2 mins apart. She checked me at that point, only 1cm dilated. That was at 7:30am. I sat on the toilet on and off for the next hour attempting to poop. I tried not to give in to the pushing urges but couldn't help it, and baby slid out into the bowl at 8:30am. 

single mama to dd (June 2011)
#2 due December 2014!
#16 of 18 Old 06-29-2011, 11:13 PM

Omagad, yes! It was the worst part of labour for me for sure. I got an early urge to push at about 7cm and the front of my cervix was a little swollen so I very much needed to avoid pushing. I really didn't want to end up at the hospital if I could avoid it. I remember labour hurting, especially the back labour but honestly, it was background noise compared to the sheer torture of not being able to push for almost 2 hours. Thankfully I continued to progress. It felt SO good to push. It was my first and it still took an hour but it felt like about 10 minutes to get the wee one out. I am so scared of getting an early urge to push again with this one...

#17 of 18 Old 06-29-2011, 11:26 PM

I never felt any urge to push, even once fully dilated. 

joy.giflurk.gif

#18 of 18 Old 06-30-2011, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigosky View Post

same here. no vaginal checks during labor for either baby. pushing went smoothly though so i don't think i was pushing before ready.

raising my two sunshine children.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page