Pre-eclampsia - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: How many people had preeclamsia with their subsequent pregnancies?
I did, but it wasn't as severe 1 50.00%
I did, it was about the same 0 0%
I did, it was worse 0 0%
I didn't 1 50.00%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 06-03-2011, 05:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am trying to get a feel for how often people who had pre-eclampsia in their first pregnancies ended up with pre-eclampsia in their subsequent pregnancies.  It was a horrible and traumatic experience for me the first time around. Anything you did differently from one pregnancy to the next?  The perinatologist that I saw yesterday said he would want me to start taking calcium, magnesium, and a baby aspirin prior to conception through my pregnancy.  

#2 of 3 Old 06-03-2011, 06:56 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Overall, the average is 20%, but it varies substantially depending on severity and time of onset. A woman who gets severe PE at 24 weeks has a much higher chance of recurrence than someone who gets mild PE at term. Underlying chronic hypertension is also associated with a higher rate of recurrence (I can't find the study now, but I saw one indicating a recurrence rate of 46% in chronics), which makes sense, since we have a 25% chance of developing it period!

I had severe superimposed preeclampsia in my first pregnancy. Too soon to tell with this one. I developed it close to term and I don't have any clotting factors, so my MFM didn't advise anything beyond better control of my underlying HTN and close monitoring.

You might find the Preeclampsia Foundation website useful: www.preeclampsia.org

DD 01/2007, DS 09/2011

#3 of 3 Old 06-03-2011, 08:47 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My personal experience was that I developed preeclampsia which wasn't managed by my OB and went into full blown HELLP syndrome at 38 weeks with my first.  Induced, ended with a cesarean.  My 2nd I developed PIH, which went into preeclampsia, but was induced BEFORE things go worse and ended in a VBAC.

hippie.gif Hi, I'm Amber

Ava {12.20.08}  Levi {8.19.10}  Aspen  {EDD 7.21.13}

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page