Could this be my period already? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 06-06-2011, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

DD is 6w4d and exclusively breastfed. She was born by C-section. I stopped bleeding after a few weeks, but I have continued to have a light discharge up until now. Today I started having bright red spotting again, which seems to be increasing as the day goes on. I haven't done anything strenuous lately and I have no signs of infection. Could this be my period already? I didn't have it until 8 months with DS, who was also exclusively breastfed. DD has been sleeping 6-7 hours at night almost every night since she came home from the hospital, so it's not inconceivable, but it just seems crazy early, even if I weren't breastfeeding.

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
#2 of 8 Old 06-07-2011, 08:03 AM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

It is not at all uncommon for women to get menstrual like bleeding prior to 2 months postpartum despite exclusive breastfeeding, cosleeping, no pacifiers, etc.  The research indicates, however, that bleeding prior to 8 weeks is generally not fertile bleeding, but simply hormonal bleeding.   If you want to avoid pregnancy, though, I would start keeping track of other fertile signs as well and if you DTD, use back up until you sort out what's going on.  If you have no more red bleeding and no fertile CF for months, then you can go back to considering yourself infertile until signs appear again and/or baby starts solids.

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#3 of 8 Old 06-07-2011, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

It seems like the bleeding stopped, so yay! I so do not feel like dealing with periods already. winky.gif

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
#4 of 8 Old 06-09-2011, 05:24 PM

I'm glad it's stopped, but just thought I'd add, I also had a C/s, stopped pp bleeding at 2 weeks completely, and my period started up 4 weeks later, and I continued to have a fairly regular period despite ecological breastfeeding/cosleeping. Some of us are just unlucky!

#5 of 8 Old 06-09-2011, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

It actually started back up the following morning and is still going on. It's still just moderate spotting. I've had some cramping and lower abdominal tenderness, but nothing too terrible.

#6 of 8 Old 06-10-2011, 03:08 PM

Yup, unfortunately it is possible.  I got my period back at 6 weeks PP with DD1 and 8 weeks PP with DD2, despite fully EBF round the clock.  And it went straight back to the 'regular' cycle I've always had too.. Grrr..

Lisa - mama to Eleanor Rose 01/08 and Saoirse Lily 09/10
#7 of 8 Old 06-12-2011, 02:29 PM

When I had my ds, I was so excited about breastfeeding and not having a period. Then mine came six weeks later, despite exclusive breastfeeding on demand around the clock. It was regular after that. I was SO bummed.

Sandy (41), Mama to Oscar (Feb 2009) and Aria (April 2012), infertility and miscarriage survivor brokenheart.gif 11/25/10 and brokenheart.gif 6/22/11.

#8 of 8 Old 06-14-2011, 08:04 PM

Just wanted to add, with DD I exclusively breastfed and because we were moving into our new house around a week postpartum I did spot for almost five weeks...but right around 6.5 weeks I got my period. Its true, its very unusual but every 26 days from that day fourth...well, you know :o)

My midwife says sometimes it just happens. I was freaking out because I thought there might be something wrong with breastfeeding etc. but I was assured while it was unusual, it was nothing to worry about.

Me and DH and DD (2) and expecting #2 11/27!!!!! thumb.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page