Old Placenta Question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 06-08-2011, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

So I hope this isn't too off topic but... I had planned on encapsulating our placenta (should I call it mine or my son's I'm not sure) if I got PPD or composting it for a friend who had a amazing garden. However being a new  mom and chasing a preschooler and finishing up pre-requsite courses o get into nursing school, I forgot about it, until now.

I have this cross posted in decluttering in mindful home management because I was cleaning out the freezer today. And behind the several hundred oz of frozen breastmilk, I found our placenta! I was putting things in three piles: compost (through city yard waste which allows veggie scraps but no meats), feed it to the dog, and garbage. I was just going to toss the placenta in the garbage but then I thought it would attract stray dogs and maybe get me in trouble.

What would you do if you had a nine month old placenta in the back of your freezer?

Thanks!

be good family...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 06-08-2011, 07:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

you can plant it at the base of a favorite tree in your yard. :) it still makes wonderful fertilizer.

hang.gif  single, scholar, childbirth advocate mama goodvibes.gif + two lively, rambunctious, beautiful, insightful and whoa-spirited dds, 4.5 and 8. fencing.gif + a sweet chunky boy born august 7, 2011!  + .....our sweet old lady dog, 10 years young. love.gif   = one full cup 

#3 of 6 Old 06-08-2011, 07:36 PM

the usual/ popular thing to do is to plant it somewhere special. under a tree or somewhere it will nourish the earth. You could toss it in the trash if you want to, but I think that might feel... dishonouring (for want of a better word).

By reading this signature, you agree to join my cult :nana
Google me, you know you want to mischievous.gif
#4 of 6 Old 06-08-2011, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by majikfaerie View Post

the usual/ popular thing to do is to plant it somewhere special. under a tree or somewhere it will nourish the earth. You could toss it in the trash if you want to, but I think that might feel... dishonouring (for want of a better word).

that's what I was thinking too, which is why I asked for advice on here. I was going to compost it for a friends garden but I think planing a small tree over it in my yard will be just as good. Thanks!

be good family...

#5 of 6 Old 06-09-2011, 04:18 AM

I have an almost 20mo placenta in my freezer. Eventually I'll get around the planting it. It's far too amazing to trash, IMO.

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

#6 of 6 Old 06-09-2011, 04:22 PM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

Yep, got a 17 month old placenta in my freezer.  I had planned on encapsulating it... then I planned on planting it.  I'm glad I didn't though b/c now we're moving.  But I have to figure out a way to transport it across several states.  I'm thinking of drying in the oven and then crushing it with a rock and bringing it with us in a container to plant in our new home.

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page