What are the hospital positives? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 43 Old 06-10-2011, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Sorry this may be similar to a thread below me, but just wanting people to chime in on the good things/perks about birthing in the hospital (besides being closer to lifesaving equipment, I guess).

(I had a hb for 1st baby and planned one for this one, but midwife cannot attend now. I will be at hospital w/ either OB or different midwife, depending who is on duty.)

Is it nice to have someone bring you a meal after the birth? I don't know what to expect. I have never been in a hospital (since I was born myself) so just trying to stay positive!!

Mama to two sweet girls!

#2 of 43 Old 06-10-2011, 11:16 AM

Hospital positives?  Food, definitely.  There's just something about someone bringing you a big plate of hot food (and after all that work, it tastes great no matter how gross you'd normally find it)  I've had 2 hospital and 2 free-standing birth center births.   One hospital had a fridge down the hall from my room where they had sandwiches, puddings, drinks, etc.  I loved that.  It's also nice that if you're feeling tired, sore, sleepy, whatever, a nurse will change your baby's diaper for you:)  Another nice thing is just being cared for for a day or two so you can take care of your little one.  This one can be nice, or a pain, depending on how you look at it and if you can handle letting others help.  I, for one, loved pushing a button and requesting water:)  Another plus, they give you dermaplast spray and a peribottle.  You can get these on your own, but I've found that midwives don't usually give you those self-care items.

I preferred the midwife births in general, but being in a hospital wasn't all that bad for me with my first two.  If you don't end with arrogant, hurried caretakers, it can be quite nice.

Our children make a study of us in a way no one else ever will.  If we don't act according to our values, they will know.~Starhawk Rainbow.gif  New  User Agreement! http://www.mothering.com/community/wiki/user-agreement

#3 of 43 Old 06-10-2011, 11:27 AM

I loved my 2 natural hospital births and food is a good reason. At my hospital they also had that little fridge.  I for some reason drank about 25 mini juice boxes of cranberry juice after my first birth--they just hit the spot.  Also, in my hospital you ordered your food off a menu, like a restaurant!  So nice!  Someone changing your sheets everyday (that isn't you).  A couple of good solid days bonding and establishing breastfeeding before you go home and have another child to care for.  Someone to always answer any questions if something comes up.  A chance to take long, hot showers while your baby sleeps (because once you get home with the baby and another kid--we all know that aint happening!).

Just wanted to say, try to go into this with a good attitude. I personally don't know anyone IRL that had a bad hospital experience, it is mostly just here on MDC.  I feel like if you go into it thinking negatively and how much you are going to not like it, then it will probably become a self-fullfilling prophecy.  But, not that you are being negative, I am just saying.  Good luck!!

#4 of 43 Old 06-10-2011, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

THANK YOU for the fast replies!  I am feeling better already. I forgot about the luxury of SHOWERING without someone bugging you LOL.  Oh and someone else changing the baby a few times -- nice!

I am definitely all about keeping a positive attitude. I am sure it will be FINE..I have to keep reminding myself that people have their babies at the hospital all the time! LOL

i am just still mourning the loss of my hb.. the first time was so special... but I always think that things work out for a reason and perhaps that's happening here.  We have no close-by family, so it will be nice to have someone helping me for a day or two, even if they are strangers at the hospital!

Thanks again, ladies.joy.gif

Mama to two sweet girls!

#5 of 43 Old 06-10-2011, 11:52 AM

Thank you for asking this question. Our daughter was breech (and larger) and the best option with us was a scheduled cesarean. We trusted our decision with two very talented high risk OBs. Mom was sedated but awake and talkative. Dad was there and holding her hand. The gender was a surprise until the doctor announced it. Now, we have a 3-y-o girl, who is super sharp and charismatic and gifted and beautiful, etc. We stayed there for several days and the nurses we worked with were wonderful. Lactation consultants came to us. Our pediatrician visited us in the hospital. We were exhausted and perhaps a little annoyed at the steady stream of friends and family, but the hospital staff was excellent and receptive. We felt our girl and the mom were in good hands. I really don't remember the food. I kept forgetting about time and forgetting to eat.

Our birth experience was magical and we held hands throughout. We ended up with a healthy and lovely little child. So to answer your question, I don't see any downsides to the hospital. We trusted the experience to the most capable and skilled professionals we could find. And we were and still are very grateful.

#6 of 43 Old 06-10-2011, 09:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Hospital positives?  Food, definitely.  There's just something about someone bringing you a big plate of hot food (and after all that work, it tastes great no matter how gross you'd normally find it)

Ha! Mine didn't. I hadn't eaten for 24 hours prior to my post-birth meal, and it was still revolting. Reheated strained chicken, mushy overcooked peas and ersatz potatoes... I distinctly remember thinking "I just pushed out a BABY, I deserve better than this!". I hear the hospital food's improved since then, though...

For me, a plus of hospital birthing was the gowns. I know it sounds odd, because they're hellishly ugly and a lot of people find them dehumanising or whatever. But it was actually kinda handy, being able to soak one through with blood and amniotic fluid and then just chuck it off and put on a new one. I even wore one in the birthing tub, and then stripped it off when the MW made me get out... and another one bit the dust when my MW broke my waters. I think I went through about five, all up. :p This time I'm hoping for a birthing centre birth, but I was a little disconcerted to hear they didn't have gowns on hand. I don't have five pairs of pyjamas to go through! (Hopefully I'll spend most of that time in the birth pool anyway, and I realise it's not a major concern in the grand scheme of things, but it is one more thing to worry about... I bought a pair of second-hand PJs, and I have one other vaguely pyjamoid outfit, but what if they both get icky?)

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#7 of 43 Old 06-10-2011, 09:18 PM

Here is my list: (2 hospital births, one homebirth)

- not having to get all the friggin supplies together for a homebirth.  

-not having to worry about noise at home, or having the house clean for the birth

-not worrying about birth mess (although it did clean up pretty easily - I still enjoyed not having to think about it at all)

-I admit I enjoyed the quiet time in the hospital with the baby.  At home I always feel called to do something (clean something, play with my other kids, etc).

-the hot water does not run out in the hospital and they have stools to sit on in the shower (I use water during birth)

I have a list for why homebirth rocks as well, but the above is the pro hospital one.

Oh, and I disagree with the food thing.  I swear I almost starved in the hospital and the food was yucky!

#8 of 43 Old 06-10-2011, 11:08 PM

Hvaing time with just the baby. Life doesn't stop when you have a baby, so with my 2 and 3 babies I really liked the time to be alone with the baby without my other children around needing me. 

Emma Bryan Fuller likes this.
#9 of 43 Old 06-10-2011, 11:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

1. Unlimited hot water

2. Not having to clean up anything

3. Warm blankets from the blanket warmer

4. Unlimited gowns , so I felt clean at all times

5. Nurse helping me with shower.

6. My very nice LC

7. Non judgmental attitude about pain control.

8. Cold compresses for my forehead. As  many as I needed

9. Bag with self care supplies.

10. My room was pretty and quieter than my home.

#10 of 43 Old 06-11-2011, 06:42 PM
Banned

Another positive is that if you have annoying family that want to be around more than you want them around, you can ask a complete stranger (a nurse) to tell them to get out so you can rest.  This way you/your partner/your doula doesn't have to do it and risk having your family mad at them forever.  winky.gif

Alenushka and matte like this.
#11 of 43 Old 06-11-2011, 06:56 PM

mmmm warm blankets. I forgot about that one. I'm also being forced into a hospital birth, and have been trying to come up with positives, but I was stuck at unlimited hot water (though this is a huge huge positive for me). The food here is nothing I'd want to eat, the midwives clean up after our births, and it's our first, so nobody else running around at home. 

Not having to clean the house intially though... that's a good one. 

I'm also debating whether we will get less visitors in the hospital than at home (this is a plus for us!) due to visiting hours. 

There's also a starbucks in our hospital... but its a 15 minutes drive from our house... just saying... lol

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#12 of 43 Old 06-12-2011, 04:54 AM

One thing I am looking forward to about the hospital is having oversight for a day or two after the birth, just in case we end up needing it. I looked into home birth and seriously considered it for a while, and I did find it offputting that I would essentially be left on my own with a brand-new baby after a few hours. That's not why I decided against home birth, but it is a plus for hospital birth imo. Of course I don't expect anything to go wrong, but nobody EXPECTS anything to go wrong.

#13 of 43 Old 06-12-2011, 11:19 AM

A bathroom that someone else gets to clean. Plus, at home, it's so easy for everyone (including you) to forget that you need to recuperate, and the other kids bother you, and you can see the messy kitchen, and everyone's busy. The hospital is kind of a big physical reminder that you've just been through an exhausting experience, and the doctors and nurses treat you that way. And tell your overbearing relatives to leave. ;)

DD 01/2007, DS 09/2011

#14 of 43 Old 06-12-2011, 02:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I thought of another one - packing the birth bag. My hospital birth last time was kind of an emergency thing, so I didn't get to do that (DH went home and flung a few clothes into a bag), but this time I'm planning a birthing centre birth, and I've really enjoyed the little ritual of packing stuff. Sounds silly, but hey. :p I like to check things off my list and decide which outfits to bring along for the baby and all that jazz. (Of course, it helps that we live a 3-minute drive from the birthing centre, so I know it's not dire if I forget anything!)

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#15 of 43 Old 06-12-2011, 02:30 PM

At my hospital, you get a full body hour- long aromatherapy massage every day you are post-partum. That was incredible!
#16 of 43 Old 06-12-2011, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildKingdom View Post

At my hospital, you get a full body hour- long aromatherapy massage every day you are post-partum. That was incredible!

Where do I need to move for this?

tjjazzy likes this.

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#17 of 43 Old 06-12-2011, 03:10 PM
A&A

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

I loved having access to the oxygen mask.........it really helped me get through a difficult labor. 

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#18 of 43 Old 06-12-2011, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildKingdom View Post

thumbsup.gif

I must say this is opposite to my 2nd hospital birth.  I wanted to use an essential oil during my labour but the nurse assigned to me was scent sensitive.  I am not sure how to get around this - she really was scent sensitive, but I really wanted my essential oil!  Good thing to look into in advance, I guess.

#19 of 43 Old 06-12-2011, 03:11 PM

The clean-up. The day after my birth I had a huge blood splash on the bathroom floor. I remeber watching the two nurses clean it up and being so glad it wasn't me. Plus they changed my bloody sheets and I didn't even have to get out of bed or attempt stain removal.

My hospital had great food too. I got a huge menu and could order whenever I wanted. I also got a lunch for two to go when I left.

As others have said I enjoyed the quiet alone time with the baby. If I were at home I'd think of a million things I should be doing.

I also love those really bad pictures they take of the babies in the hospital.

Me, DH, and 2 babyboy.gif.
#20 of 43 Old 06-13-2011, 07:00 AM

The food, oh the food (and, while DH is an awesome cook, it was lovely to have him right next to me instead of in the kitchen).  The non-judgmental attitude about meds for pain control (I had an emergency c/s due to cord wrap).  The unlimited hot water.  The no-neighbor's-dog-barking-to-wake-me-at-5 a.m..  Being able to tell a nurse to not let MIL in until I was good and ready.  For us, the hospital rocked.  And the lactation staff saved my bacon.  Loved them.

ETA:  Aside from the creature comforts (and I know this is against MDC-ish tenets), I took great comfort in knowing that if there was an emergency (which, in our case, there was--which would have possibly resulted in a loss), there were folks there who could save our child's life.  And they did.

Alenushka likes this.

sleepytime.gif I got tired of my signature, but I still love my children and husband and miss my little brotherkid.gif

#21 of 43 Old 06-13-2011, 07:39 AM

during birth:

--no other kiddos or people I need to think about (I don't "care" what the hospital staff think of me and I'll probably never see them again, and I don't "care" about the mess I might make in the birth suite)

--jacuzzi tub and unlimited hot water, also a/c (my home is a small cabin with a shower stall, a well, and a window a/c unit... not exactly luxury!)

unlimited supplies and staff (my births have ranged from ~4 hours to ~32 hours and it's nice to have "fresh people" around during a really long birth)

--no inhibitions (I know this is sort of the opposite of many women, but I actually find the "neutral" atmosphere of a hospital relaxing and I have no problems with semi-public nudity or with making a LOT of noise in such a setting.  At home I have expectations of what I should do/who I should be/how I should respond but in a hospital?  I can do whatever I want!)

after birth:

--yes, a midwife should clean up and prep a meal, but at the hospital that cleanup/meal service lasts longer (and I have no qualms about ringing for the nurse at 3am to clean my sheets or fetch a sandwich, like I would if I was waking dh or "imposing" on a friend/midwife)

--the freedom to focus on my new babe (no other kiddos or visitors, no overhearing the family routines/smelling food cooking/feeling responsible for home chores, 24/7 support of me and the babe without strings attached... meaning, the nurse isn't going to show up at my home two weeks later and "remind" me about that 3am sandwich before asking if I could watch her pets for the weekend lol)

--that a/c and unlimited hot water thing again!  Also the unlimited clean towels, unlimited mesh panties/pads/chux pads, unlimited time to shower or use the toilet or take a sitz bath, etc.  I know some mamas really hate being interupted by hospital staff/routines but compared to my kiddos the hospital is nothing!  I've never had a nurse want to sit on my lap while I used the toilet, or demand that I get out of the shower right now to settle a dispute over a toy, or fall asleep next to me before wetting the bed and screaming loud enough to wake the dead (let alone the new babe at the breast).  It's nearly heaven!  lol

philosophically:

I know many women experience birth as a rite of passage/change of being no matter where or how that birth happens but I like the actual, physical, journey that hospital birth provides.  Labor begins, I go physically to a different/birth specific spot with attendants and rituals specific to that time/place, and then afterwards I return home with a new baby and as a new being.  While this journey happens in every birth I want/need/enjoy making it an explicitely physical journey/passage as well as a personal/spiritual passage.  I need to go away and come back different and the hospital provides that.  Kind of like a wedding... you could have a minister and a witness in the living room or a destination wedding with a hundred guests.  Both are valid and have the same end result, but they each honor the journey/transformation in different ways.

phathui5, Alenushka and Vermillion like this.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#22 of 43 Old 06-13-2011, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your very thoughtful answer. I really appreciated your view on hospital location as part of the rite of passage. I had never considered that and I'm thrilled to have that perspective. I was once really into the importance of ritual and rites and have gotten away from it. This will be something to mentally return to as the journey unfolds!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post

philosophically:

I know many women experience birth as a rite of passage/change of being no matter where or how that birth happens but I like the actual, physical, journey that hospital birth provides.  Labor begins, I go physically to a different/birth specific spot with attendants and rituals specific to that time/place, and then afterwards I return home with a new baby and as a new being.  

Mama to two sweet girls!

#23 of 43 Old 06-14-2011, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post

philosophically:

I know many women experience birth as a rite of passage/change of being no matter where or how that birth happens but I like the actual, physical, journey that hospital birth provides.  Labor begins, I go physically to a different/birth specific spot with attendants and rituals specific to that time/place, and then afterwards I return home with a new baby and as a new being.  While this journey happens in every birth I want/need/enjoy making it an explicitely physical journey/passage as well as a personal/spiritual passage.  I need to go away and come back different and the hospital provides that.  Kind of like a wedding... you could have a minister and a witness in the living room or a destination wedding with a hundred guests.  Both are valid and have the same end result, but they each honor the journey/transformation in different ways.

Ummm....this gave me chills.  Love it!  Thank you.  I remember my plan was to labor at home as possible, but as soon as the harder contractions started I wanted to be away from my home.  Like I didn't want to be feeling that much pain in my peaceful bedroom. 

caffix.gif

#24 of 43 Old 06-14-2011, 01:21 PM

Another benefit that I didn't see mentioned is that if any complications arise, there is no transfer. You are already where you need to be. 

Like another mama said, most of the time we don't *expect* complications. And yet they happen. When I read stories of emergency homebirth transfers to the hospital, they are usually pretty traumatic for the family.

Now, I'm not saying that emergencies aren't traumatic in the hospital by any means. And I'm not saying that this alone would be a reason not to homebirth. But I am saying that if you are having a hospital birth anyway, for whatever reasons, it is nice to not have to worry about the complications / stress of a transfer on top of an emergent situation.

And I have to jump on the endless hot water bandwagon - that is a HUGE benefit IMO :-)

And wombatclay - you really hit the head on the nail with the philosophy statement you made. I have felt that way but resisted it feeling like I *shouldn't* feel drawn to hospital birth, especially since I could never put my finger on what exactly it was I was drawn to, but your eloquent statement was just a lovely way of describing how I feel about the whole process of things, so thank you!

fly-by-nursing2.gif~Amy, Wife to E, Happy Momma to K 4/04, L 11/05, E 8/07, V 1/10, and J 10/11

#25 of 43 Old 06-16-2011, 10:40 AM

I keep seeing the clean-up mentioned. When I had my last baby at home, my house was cleaner when my midwife and her students left than it had been when they'd arrived. There was no cleaning up for me to do.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#26 of 43 Old 06-16-2011, 02:22 PM

LOL  For me it's not the immediate birth clean up but the "I don't have to clean my house prior to the birth and/or have snacks on hand for birth attendants" on the one side of the birth and the fact that I have no clean up of any kind (laundry, dishes, shower, toilet, trash, etc) on the other side of the birth for 2-3 days.  If I bleed on the sheets at 2am or drip blood around the shower stall/bathroom I can buzz the nurse and tah-dah!  It's cleaned!  It's like being at the spa!  (well, kind of like a spa anyway lol... dd1 and dd2 were born in a rural hospital with institutional green cinderblock walls and a birth tub located in what had been a janitor's closet!  But ds got the fancy schmancy regional birth center which is all jacuzzi tubs, art prints on the walls, and inlaid patterned wood floors and that's where dd3 will be arriving too)

:)

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#27 of 43 Old 06-16-2011, 06:52 PM

Yeah people kept mentioning not having to clean up afterwards, and I kept thinking "don't your midwives do that...?" but then someone mentioned not having to clean up BEFORE the birth either, and I was like hmmm... that's a good point. I like not having to be as worried about having it clean all the time not knowing when I'll go into labor. 

Maybe I'll convince MIL to come over and clean our house during my labor (I plan on signing out pretty soon after the birth AMA if I have to). It'll give her something to focus on, since I don't want anyone coming to the hospital to pace and wait. 

#28 of 43 Old 06-17-2011, 05:20 AM

Some of the hospital positives are not having to worry about food and the condition of the house and what chores need to be done afterwards. Even if those are my dh's responsibility I still see them and it can make it hard to relax. It is nice to have other people worry about the laundry and clean up. I like having the security of knowing that help is right there either before or after the birth. 

There are negatives, too, of course. 

#29 of 43 Old 06-17-2011, 05:56 AM

Endless ice packs! With my daughter they had the kind you shake to activate. I took like five home to go with my frozen ones I had waiting for me at home. When my home ones were both thawed out they really came in handy. Our hospital also had a program where they will release you pretty early, and have a nurse come to your house for the next couple of days. That was awesome! I felt great, but our daughter had jaundice. We had an order for a recheck, so she did the heal poke right here in the living room. No running to the germ lab or doctor's office! They also did all the stuff a midwife could do PP, so not a huge difference. Just nice to have with a hospital birth instead of still being stuck at the hospital. They are trying!

Mama to Gabe 8-03 and Cyan 5-09
#30 of 43 Old 06-17-2011, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeninejessica View Post

Yeah people kept mentioning not having to clean up afterwards, and I kept thinking "don't your midwives do that...?" but then someone mentioned not having to clean up BEFORE the birth either, and I was like hmmm... that's a good point. I like not having to be as worried about having it clean all the time not knowing when I'll go into labor. 

Midwives do cleanup afterwards.  Mine missed a bit, but no biggie.

The cleaning before hand was a biggie.  One midwife I had did not seem overly focused on cleaning before hand, but one wanted the house "clean" before the birth.  I am not the best cleaner at the best of times, and 9 months pregnant with a toddler is hardly the best of times cleaning wise.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page