Can my OB refuse to take me on as a patient? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 6 Old 06-15-2011, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter
 
Belia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 1,745
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My caregivers during my last (only) pregnancy was an OB / MW group that I joined at 34 weeks (due to circumstances beyond my control).  I gave birth at 36 weeks.  It was a horrible pregnancy- I had hyperemesis and lost 35 pounds, plus I developed a blood clot at 9 weeks and had to be on injectable bloodthinners for the duration of the pg.

 

DH and I may try to become pg again this fall.  My hematologist has said that in his opinion, I should start the injectable bloodthinners again the minute I find out that I am pg. While I think that the main reason the blood clot formed was because I was dehydrated and immobile from being so sick, the hematologist said that I do have one, possible two, genetic markers that indicate a clotting problem.

 

Here's the thing, though.  I have already decided that I will NOT do the bloodthinners if I get pregnant again.  (If I develop another blood clot, then I won't have a choice.  I will have to do the injections or terminate.)  But I will NOT take the bloodthinners for purely preventative reasons.

 

Can my OB/MW practice refuse to take me on for a second pregnancy if I make this choice????

 

Thanks for reading all this.


Sleepy mama to Colin Theodore 8-12-08 and Trevor Arthur 7-17-12.

 

 

Belia is offline  
#2 of 6 Old 06-16-2011, 07:49 AM
 
AlexisT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Central PA
Posts: 2,269
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

An OB is under no obligation to take on any patient. There are rules about firing patients (notice times, access to other care) but they don't have to take you on, no. You'd have to find out what your OB thinks.


DD 01/2007, DS 09/2011

AlexisT is offline  
#3 of 6 Old 06-17-2011, 09:58 AM
 
scottishmommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: in a little apartment
Posts: 1,095
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Why don't you want to take the blood thinners? Are there specific side effects that are particularly troublesome? Could you talk to your hemotologist about possibly taking aspirin instead unless something happens?

Wife to amazing dh, mama to dd 12/08
scottishmommy is offline  
#4 of 6 Old 06-17-2011, 10:48 AM
 
annettemarie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In the Restricted Section
Posts: 41,722
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yes, they can refuse to take you on if they consider you to be too high risk/outside their area of expertise. A lot of moms who had the same heart issue as me and choose to go on to have another baby have reported having trouble finding an ob who will take them as patients.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

annettemarie is offline  
#5 of 6 Old 06-21-2011, 07:59 PM
 
Lisa1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,604
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

If you have genetic markers not sure which one, and you refuse to take any blood thinners, the blood clot might be found only after the baby dies. You should research whatever findings he had before making the final decision on using blood thinners. I am bothered he said one, maybe 2...because if he had really run blood tests for this, he would know if you have 1 or two. So I would wonder if he is just making a guess. You can ask your OB to run tests for this to find out for sure.

Lisa1970 is offline  
#6 of 6 Old 06-21-2011, 08:45 PM
 
kwilki8's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,009
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Do you know what markers your hematologist was referring to? If you need to have any testing redone it should be before you are pregnant because some of the tests are inaccurate during pregnancy. I would expect an ob to be reluctant to work with someone with a clotting disorder who refuses bloodthinners, because clots can be so dangerous and unpredictable. It may be helpful to look at why you object to the medication--if your concerns are with management of your pregnancy/birth, you might be able to work out compromises that would be acceptable to both you and your doctor. I know that pregnancy and birth with Lovenox can really stink (I've been through two), but to me it was much better than the risk of having another baby develop IUGR (and I know I was lucky it was only that bad) because of clots in the placenta.

kwilki8 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off