How long after birth did it take you to feel good enough to go out? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 39 Old 07-15-2011, 05:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

well, i've gotten out pretty quickly (out of necessity and out of the fact that i just hate being cooped up in the house) after both my births (one c-section and one vbac with an episiotomy), but nothing more than just shuffling around the grocery store.  i'm gonna say it took about four weeks before i was really moving and even longer before i felt 100% myself again (maybe six to eight weeks).  i'm now nearly nine weeks pp and have finally started running just in the last week.

mother is a verb
I GOT MY vbac.gif!!!

#32 of 39 Old 07-16-2011, 11:23 AM

First birth, natural drug free birth, 24 hours later i was out with baby for a 4 hour walk.

Second birth, emergency classical C-section took about 8 weeks before I could walk longer then 10 minutes.

#33 of 39 Old 07-17-2011, 04:53 PM

wow, i really am having a hard time remembering! with dd, it was a fairly easy and not too long labour, and she was in the NICU for 2 weeks after, so i was out and about quite a bit within 2 days of delivery, as i was travelling back and forth between home and the hospital. as soon as she was home, i was pretty much back to my normal level of activity, walking, etc (and we lived in a 3rd floor walk up, so lots of stairs!). however, despite the fact that i was quite active, i felt horrific. my tearing was 2nd degree but quite extensive, and what with the stairs and the travelling, i ended up tearing my stitches in the first week. i was not close to feeling myself physically and emotionally until about 9 weeks pp. that was when breastfeeding finally got sorted out, the tearing was fully healed, and i was sleeping a bit better. the weather becoming nice and warm around then really helped too! 

#34 of 39 Old 08-06-2011, 11:16 PM

It's been interesting reading the wide variety of experiences! I haven't had babies yet, so I obviously have no idea how things will go. I will say though, I love any excuse to curl up at home in my pajamas with loved ones, so that "40 days" thing intrigues me. I love the idea of spending that time in comfy clothes, resting and nursing baby while family/friends come to me. I've always been a visual person and I envision the first month or two after the birth of my first baby to be spent in sweats, nursing while spending massive amounts of time watching TV and surfing the web. Sounds heavenly to me.

treehugger.gif NMY, uber-crunchy, college student, doula-in-training, health food store worker and future librarian read.gif

#35 of 39 Old 08-07-2011, 09:55 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
We went out with baby in the sling at four days after. The holidays were coming on and I had to get a few things bought.
#36 of 39 Old 08-09-2011, 02:37 PM

DS was born on a Saturday morning. We had him at the Outlet Mall (in a sling) on Monday afternoon - I needed a bra. I was tired, but otherwise felt fine. It was a hard labor (induction), and I had an epidural...but I was walking around and wanting to go home within a couple of hours of his birth.

Wife to my hubby and SAHM to two boys -  DS1 (2) and DS2 (newborn).  Forever missing our three angels in Heaven. 

#37 of 39 Old 08-22-2011, 06:19 PM

I'm 10 days pp. I was up an about the house - even did a few dishes - a few hours after the birth. I tried to lay in as much as possible for the first 3 days. We were out briefly at 4 days pp, but I didn't really get out of the car. I visited Target at 5 day pp for a new bra and I've been out at least once a day since then. I'm resting as much as possible when home - hubby has been doing most of the cleaning, brings me meals in bed and takes my son out for a few hours so I can nap with the baby - but I cannot stand to be cooped up. I've felt fine. Had a bit of bottom soreness the first few days I started going out, but it's gotten a lot better. My pp bleeding has slowed and is just some brownish to clear discharge now. Oh, I had a natural birth at home with a 2nd degree tear.

Jenn treehugger.gifmama to Monkeylearning.gifSquishyenergy.gif& Riverangel1.gif(8wks)Wife to Mikejog.gif See you at the rainbow1284.gif Bridge, Abigael cat.gifand McKenna dog2.gifgd.gifnamaste.giffamilybed2.gifbellyhair.gifcaffix.gifcrochetsmilie.gifom.gifknit.gifcomputergeek2.gif

#38 of 39 Old 08-24-2011, 07:49 PM

In the past I've heard so many "I felt awesome right away" stories that I'm kindof reassured to realize that I'm not the only one who felt pretty sore and tired for a while.  With DD I had a great waterbirth, but a 2nd degree tear, and felt sore whenever I walked or climbed stairs for a couple weeks.  I wanted to stay home and take it really slow, but the unexpected death of my best friend 4days postpartum sent me 200 miles to a funeral where I had to make a speech at 13 days post-partum :( ...with my next little one due next spring I am hoping for a REAL babymoon.  Although my toddler might make that more complicated!    

Mom to DD born March 2010, and someone new March 2012

#39 of 39 Old 08-25-2011, 11:10 PM

With my first I tore and was out the next day.

Second, no tear and I was out the next day,  I would have been out that day, but that got vetoed by everyone.

I am one of those lucky people that bounces back super quick from everything (I ate solid food 24 hours after having my wisdom teeth taken out under general) and can't stand to be home for more than 24 hours.  That being said I took a ton of naps too.

obstruct livery vehicles

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page