TV Ad about Importance of 40-week Gestation! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 06-17-2011, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I just saw an ad on TV about the importance of letting your baby gestate to full, full-term. They specifically said, "you're putting your baby in danger when you schedule an early induction or cesarean--let your baby grow for at least 40 weeks!" I was floored, but am really happy! It was sponsored by our state's dept of health, so I'm guessing they aren't playing everywhere. I'm glad we're doing something to turn the tide of early elective inductions & c/s. Hopefully it has good results!

Devaskyla likes this.
#2 of 8 Old 06-17-2011, 07:54 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Excellent! Who was the PSA put out by? Surely not the ACOG!

#3 of 8 Old 06-17-2011, 09:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I haven't seen it but I've heard some things about the March of Dimes putting out a PSA. That might be it. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#4 of 8 Old 06-17-2011, 09:43 PM

wow, I'm surprised. That's awesome!

Lovin my sweet babygirl 3-17-10love.gif and expecting another in March! love.gif

#5 of 8 Old 06-18-2011, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter

No organization was mentioned in the ad except the OK State Dept of Health.

I believe they got a grant--I saw it mentioned in the Science & Sensibility blog a while back (http://www.scienceandsensibility.org/?p=2809). I clicked on the link in S&S, and it links to an OU Children's Hospital page that says they've launched a statewide "Every Week Counts Collaborative to end elective deliveries prior to 39 weeks" and that it's "An Initiative of the Oklahoma State Department of Health and multiple partners aiming to reduce infant mortality and other adverse birth outcomes as well as reduce racial disparities for such outcomes." I do think they might be using a MOD toolkit for their stuff, so the ad may be playing elsewhere too. Definitely not sponsored by ACOG, though!

#6 of 8 Old 06-18-2011, 05:56 PM

Actually, ACOG is also in favor of the "not before 39 weeks" campaign. There was a big study a year or two ago and ACOG has been getting the word out not to schedule before 39.

Sometimes, the problem isn't ACOG. Sometimes, the problem is that its members don't listen to what it says. ACOG also says not to induce for a big baby and that elective CS is an "option" (not "required" or "recommended") over 5000g. Even the old, overly conservative ACOG VBAC guideline was that it was a safe option for women with a single transverse incision in a hospital with on-site OB and anesthesia. And I can find you plenty of OBs who ignored both those guidelines.

DD 01/2007, DS 09/2011

#7 of 8 Old 06-18-2011, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

I'm aware of ACOG's guidelines that agree, but the ad is from the MOD toolkit and paid for by Ok's Dept of Health...
#8 of 8 Old 06-18-2011, 09:04 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I can't find anything on the YouTube... does anyone have a link to watch an ad?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page