Woman performs csection on self - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 71 Old 04-08-2004, 07:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
I mean, for all we know maybe she thought she could do a UC just fine.
Why wasn't this a UC? or doesn't UC mean unassisted childbirth?:
#62 of 71 Old 04-09-2004, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by IslandMamma
When will we ever embrace that truly radical birthing is supporting a woman's choice, no matter what it is? IT IS HER CHOICE.

#63 of 71 Old 04-09-2004, 11:17 AM

Strange. The quotes posted by IslandMamma might be judgmental, but I read them as judging the system rather than the woman.

I guess I just read things differently than other people. :
#64 of 71 Old 04-09-2004, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by sweetbaby3

My conversation with my husband goes like this:
me: a woman performed a c-section at home on herself!
dh:are you serious? (he is eating an apple)
me: yes!
dh: Is she a friend of yours?
:
#65 of 71 Old 04-09-2004, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sweetbaby3
dh: Is she a friend of yours?
:

I'm confused by a lot of the judging going on in this thread too. I actually quit reading it for the last few days and just decided randomly to give it a shot again. I don't know any details about this woman's birth, I don't know who she was brainwashed by or if she was brainwashed at all. I do know that she seemed to think something was wrong and took a drastic measure to help her baby. That's just amazing imho. I don't know if she should be a saint or if her sanity is in question, but I still think it's amazing. I don't think I could do it myself if I thought something was seriously wrong. But that's why I don't UC. Of course, I have someone I love dearly who's a midwife, so I wouldn't ever really have to make the decision to UC. I'm privileged that way. I'm privileged in that even with no regular health insurance and no money to get any, I can have all the medical treatment necessary in an emergency childbirth, no problem. But that's what you get for being white and American and middle-class (whatever middle class means).

anna kiss partner to jon radical mama to aleks (8/02) and bastian (5/05)
#66 of 71 Old 04-09-2004, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Is this just the way things are in Mexico? No doctor or midwife, no one has a car so you can't even hitchhike to the hospital? Perhaps the hospital won't even accept "peasants?"

If so, that's really sad. I wonder if the Mexican healthcare system is going to accept any responsibility for short-changing this woman.

Are any updates available?
#67 of 71 Old 04-11-2004, 01:45 AM

I don't know the full story, of course...none of us do....

But I felt sad for the woman. I tend to agree with Pam's perspective.

I have read that in some parts of Cental and South America c/section rates are as high as 85%. It would come as no surpise to me to find out that she just assumed this was what she HAD to do.
#68 of 71 Old 04-23-2004, 06:11 PM
Banned

I learned more from this article:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/allnews...name_page.html

Just a FWIW, really.

Quote:
“I was determined not to lose this one, so I saw the doctor every time he visited the village. He said everything was going along fine, and I felt very excited.”

“My waters hadn’t broken, but I was feeling a terrible pain and I knew it was happening again. I was pacing around in circles to try to keep calm, but the pain wouldn’t go away and I started to panic.

“The only thing I had in the house was a bottle of alcohol – not the type you’re supposed to drink, but the alcohol we use to cure worms. I began to sip it to try to numb the pain. I finished the entire bottle. I was drunk, but the pain was still killing me.
#69 of 71 Old 04-23-2004, 06:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
I was determined not to lose this one, so I saw the doctor every time he visited the village.
How often did the doctor visit? And what was the terrible pain - a placental abruption?
#70 of 71 Old 04-23-2004, 06:22 PM
Banned

I thought the same thing, Greaseball, the placenta previa was what came to mind for me.

There are still a lot of gaps. Especially as her last child died in utero, according to her and she understood that she could have saved him if she had been able to get a c-section in time (according to her midwife). So why not avoid that this time as it was only one year later?

She said she was four weeks overdue as well.

Edited to add: maybe if I could (finally) read the medical journal article on her, I'd get more of my ?s answered. Like, 'Female, 39, multipara x 4 (1 stillbirth), history of placenta previa, two caesareans, one spontaneous vaginal birth...' That sort of thing. I cannot figure out how she gave birth to her first son when she was 15, if that was in a hospital or what.
#71 of 71 Old 04-23-2004, 09:13 PM

this whole thread sums up a lot of what goes on in the boards. Different experiences lead to different thinking. A woman who has homebirthed with no complications is going to have a whole lot more confidence in herself and the "process" than a woman who has faced transport or emergency c's or a number of other things that go on today.
If you have only been surrounded by positive birth experiences you have a much more positive outlook and are often more sure of your decisions. Is any woman's expectations of her subsequent births ever similar to the first - the fear of the unknown is often the greatest fear many people face and if that fear becomes reality you have a lot of work ahead of you.
Both my birth experiences have been so different - there is no way anyone can share that with me. Just as I cannot know or share any others womans birth. But, as a woman and one who has given birth it is my role to support and pass the love of the our unique rite of passage on so that a woman feels she has grown from the life she brings.
Bottom line - it's hard - what is more personal than intimate love bringing life into this world.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page