History of precipitous labor - what can I expect this time? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 06-24-2011, 04:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I know these things can't be predicted, but I am interested in hearing other momma's experiences or midwive's thoughts...

My first was born 3 1/2 hours after contractions began. My second was born about 20 minutes after I woke up thinking that I *could* maybe be in labor. It was a planned homebirth, but ended up being unassisted. It was the most amazing experience of my life! I don't have any fears related to birth being overly fast or painful, I am comfortable with going just as quickly as before, but I am curious what other women have experienced after having a super fast delivery. Can I expect a repeat? Shorter? Longer? I'm also trying to decide whether or not it will be worth the $ to invest in everything I need for a potential water labor/birth or if I should expect to not have enough time to even get the pool inflated let alone filled as happened last time... 

Thanks!

Katie
#2 of 6 Old 06-24-2011, 08:03 AM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

No direct experience to share as my labors were 20 hours and 5 hours, but from talking with other  women that have had fast labors it does seem that the pattern generally continues.  However, much depends on baby's position and birth #3 does tend to be a bit of a wild card according to what I've been asking/reading here on MDC.  With planning in mind, I think that I would assume a longer birth than your second, but certainly not a very long one unless baby is poorly positioned.   Not sure the birth pool would be worth it since it take so long to set up.  Could you make due with your bathtub if water was needed?

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#3 of 6 Old 06-25-2011, 02:07 PM

ITA with the PP.

No experience here, but 3rd babies can sometimes throw you for a loop!  I was just a doula for a mama who was having her 3rd baby.  Her first was a 27hr labor, her second 2.5hrs, and her 3rd was 18hrs.

Are you planning a midwife assisted birth, or a planned UC?

hippie.gif Hi, I'm Amber

Ava {12.20.08}  Levi {8.19.10}  Aspen  {EDD 7.21.13}

#4 of 6 Old 06-30-2011, 05:44 AM

I'd say your chances are that you will have a fast labor and that's what I'd probably plan for. However, as PPs noted, you can never tell. Sometimes 3rd babies are the wild card.

Fledgling midwife on hiatus, Wife to B, mama to C (c/s ribboncesarean.gif 12/04) and S hbac.gif (12/07), angel3.gif m/c (3/12) and expecting another bean 6/13 stork-suprise.gif.

#5 of 6 Old 07-05-2011, 07:48 PM

My 3rd was my fastest at under an hour but none have been more than 3 hours.  I'm curious to see what happens with #4.

#6 of 6 Old 07-06-2011, 02:14 PM

I'm really curious about this too. My first labor was 21 hours, 7 hours of active labor. My 2nd was 2.5 hours. Now I'm expecting #3 and wondering if things are going to go fast like #2 or slower like #1. I'm just so thankful that my wonderful midwives live 5 minutes from me!

Maegen, adventurous wife to DH, loving mom to my beautiful DD's and expecting another babe in March 2012!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page