Cramping & Spotting after birth... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 06-24-2011, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So, I had a wonderful home birth with my second son in March...bleeding stopped around 6 weeks pp.

Starting at about 10 week pp onward, I have been having menstrual like cramping and mild spotting every two-three weeks. The spotting only lasts 2-3 days, but the cramping lasts for a week or so. (Basically, I am just cramping almost all the time...)

Is this just my cycle trying to regulate itself? Anyone have a similar experience? Just trying to figure out if this is normal or something I should be concerned about. I would appreciate any thoughts! = )

(With my first birth, af started again at 8 weeks pp, was completely regular (every 35 days) and seemingly back to "normal". So this is kind of freakin me out...)

Thanks!

Student Mama to Dmitri 07/11/09. Wife to a two-job student dad. So happy with our BF, Co-sleeping, No vax, No Circ. Vegetarian Family.
#2 of 2 Old 06-30-2011, 06:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Sounds like something common in anovulatory cycles. As I understand it your estrogen starts to climb toward the ovulation level but then gives up, the sudden hormone drop causes cramps and spotting, then the hormones try again later on. That's how they often start up if cycles return early, weird anovulatory stuff for a while. That can happen after real ovulation too but then it's followed by a period about 12-16 days later of course. But unusual imbalances or cysts can also do this stuff if you have any bad pains or strange metabolism issues it's a sign of problems.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page