Tricare support for homebirth - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-06-2011, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

July 2011 -  I just wanted to let the community know that I am Active Duty Army and will be having a home water birth - and it will be covered by Tricare!  I am Tricare Prime, but our local facilities don't have OB/maternity care.  This allowed me to get a referral out.  

Please know - until I got connected into the local home-birth community - I thought I had no options.  The local Tricare office told me it wasn't covered.  They were misinformed. Second, all of the local Certified Nurse Midwives listed are part of local doctor's offices and can't do homebirths.  That said, after hiring a Doula (fantastic choice) we got connected into the community - and the local midwives have their own practice and were able to refer me to a CNM who is a Tricare provider (70 miles away).  Point being that if you want Tricare coverage of homebirth (and on Prime) you will likely have to do some research and connect with your local community (a wonderful thing in itself!).

I hope this helps someone.

Best regards! 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2011, 03:36 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I hope you have a Happy Homebirth!!

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010 Pregnant with #2, having another !
Old 07-09-2011, 06:10 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

That's awesome!  My midwives are CNMs and Tricare providers who will attend homebirths.  It's a terrible misconception that Tricare doesn't cover homebirth! ;) My midwife was telling me a great story of having 1 client send her son on his bike to get her on post!

Proud mommy 9/2004 ribboncesarean.gif , 11/2007 vbac.gif, 2/2011 ribboncesarean.gif
ICAN of New Jersey --> find 2010 NJ hospital birth stats here!

User Tag List