Pregnant hospital patients please help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-07-2011, 10:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My daughter just had a baby which was a normal healthy baby boy.When she called and told me i was very happy.The probelm comes after he is born my daughter is rooming in with him when a nurse comes in after about an hour and says she wants to take the baby to the nursery to "check him out".My dd was fine with that as long as she or the baby's dad went with him.The nurse told her they couldn't go and my dd said that if that was the case she couldn't take him.The nurse then proceeds to tel my dd that she can get security and leaves the room.Now my dd is upset and exhausted and afraid to sleep cause she is afraid that someone will take the baby while she sleeps.What are her rights in this situation? I recall someone posting a law that covers something like this but can't find it.We live in downstate illinois by the way.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2011, 09:45 PM

Call thevhospitals patient advocate or house supervisor

Wife to DHluxlove.gif DS 98thumb.gif DD 03flower.gif DS 09 babyf.gifwinner.jpgcd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

She is here!!! Oct 5th!!!joy.gif

Old 07-10-2011, 09:58 PM
Banned

I'm sorry that your daughter is dealing with this.  She is absolutely in the right and her request that her baby be accompanied by a parent at all times is completely reasonable.  How is her recovery going, otherwise?  Can you get over to the hospital to do some baby-watching while she gets some sleep?  How soon can she go home?  

Old 07-10-2011, 11:51 PM - Thread Starter

She is home now thank goodness for the 24 hour policy! She said after she refused to let the nurse take him she never came back so she probably realized she could get in trouble for threatening a patient.It never  fails to amaze me that laboring/new moms are treated badly by other women during  their hospital stay.It like they do everything they came to turn you into a hysterical mom so they can justify calling social services.Any way stik to answer your question i could not go to the hospital cause i was at home with my 9yo and her 19 mth old, otherwise i would have been right there to make sure no one tried to run roughshod over her.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

They can go get someone, but without a court order, which they won't get, it will be illegal for them to grab her baby and take her baby against her will. That nurse is just a bully.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:17 AM
Banned

Now that she's home and safe, I hope she writes a letter of complaint to the hospital.  A lot of hospitals will send home a patient satisfaction survey after discharge.  That would also be a good opportunity to comment on what happened and express her displeasure.  

User Tag List