Reading midwifery notes from the 1970s... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 07-08-2011, 02:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

My mother just did a cleanout and came across some notes and case studies from her midwifery training back in the 70s. Knowing I'm into that sort of thing, she gave them to me - saying "Don't judge me, it was back in the day"!

They're fascinating. So far some tidbits I've gleaned include:

-The cure for cracked nipples is to apply infrared radiation to the nipples at a distance of 30 inches... "under close supervision", I assume because nuking your nipples without close supervision would be, like, silly...

-The mother should breastfeed the baby for 3 minutes per side the first day, 5 the second, 7 the next and 10 the next - the person marking Mum's essay on this added "under strict supervision". She should then break the latch and remove the baby - if he were still hungry, she should offer him boiled water. (Poor babies! DS fed for a solid hour after he was born...)

-Before breastfeeding, the mother should wash her hands, change the baby and "attend" to his umbilical cord; make sure she is sitting in a comfortable place, wash her nipples with wool swabs and dry them carefully. Can you imagine going through all that with a baby screaming of hunger? (And then for the poor kid to only get three minutes a side... hardly seems worth the effort!)

-Women's urine was measured for a few days after birth. I'm not sure why... but Mum dutifully notes in her case studies that Mrs Whoever "voided 100mL urine" 4 hours after birth, plus the days on which she opened her bowels.

-One woman was given a sponge bath every half-hour "for comfort", which I would have thought would have been incredibly annoying. :p

-Routine enemas, AROM and episiotomy were commonplace, as was the lithotomy position... I guess I shouldn't be surprised about that, but it's kind of weird seeing it noted as a matter of course by my rather alternative mother! (Although I guess this was before she got bit by the crunchy bug...) They did encourage the mother to visit the newborn baby (in the nursery, of course...), and I found a few fairly progressive statements about encouraging the mother to breastfeed and noting that her relatives might try to put her off; so that was something.

-Colostrum should be expressed from week 30 of pregnancy onwards, to prevent mastitis.

-The breasts were to be thoroughly examined at the first prenatal appointment, to check for inverted nipples, sufficient tissue and various other things, including Crusting and Lumps. They also did a routine vaginal examination. I've gotta say, I'm glad that changed! My midwives certainly ended up seeing me in all my nekkid glory, but not until I was in labour.

-Sore nipples could be anointed with "woolfat", which I assume is an old-fashioned term for lanolin. Sounds appealing, doesn't it?

All in all, I'm extremely glad I didn't give birth in the 70s. The impression I got was that these women had to divulge a LOT of intimate details about their bodily functions, for no good reason I could see - on a few cases Mum recorded the colour and quantity of the lochia every hour, which seems like overkill - and submit to a lot of demoralising poking and prodding, including a vast number of internal exams during labour.

Anyway - just thought some of you might find this stuff as interesting as I do!

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#2 of 4 Old 07-08-2011, 02:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Very interesting.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#3 of 4 Old 07-21-2011, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Lol!  Wow....

Proud mommy 9/2004 ribboncesarean.gif , 11/2007 vbac.gif, 2/2011 ribboncesarean.gif
ICAN of New Jersey --> find 2010 NJ hospital birth stats here!

#4 of 4 Old 07-21-2011, 07:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

WOW....it's no wonder that so many woman gave up on breast feeding.  It's likely a good thing to!

Happy to be birthing my children now.

Melissa - Happy mommy to blahblah.gif Mitchell - 9lbs 1oz, 01-14-2007; and babyf.gifDylan - 10lbs 6oz, 07-25-2011

Happily married to Jeff since 09-24-2005

bfinfant.gif  hang.gif  cd.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page