talk to me about spinal/ epidural meds and options.... - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 33 Old 08-08-2011, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

brovie, thank you so much for your answers, and the framework i needed to have the conversation about medication. 

also, thank you for your viewpoint!  i hope that you're in a position to teach this to interns or students... 

i think this conversation about these questions kind of represent why so many women get so very upset with the medical community at large.. and i think that yes, most medical folks have the best interests of the people they're trying to help at heart, but that some don't see dialogue as a crucial part of the interaction.  i feel like i'm pretty open minded-- i mean if you TELL me i don't have any options but x,y, and z, then i can deal with that.  but for me to state that i don't want X, and to just get a nod and receive x anyway because you felt you knew better and wanted to avoid having to spell it out for me, then, that's a problem.  i think just including a patient in the ideas behind things can go a very long way. 

thanks again for your help and input, not just brovie but everybody who responded.  <3

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#32 of 33 Old 08-08-2011, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildare View Post

nope; i wasn't looking for an argument and indeed posted seeking answers.  however, i did thank that poster for input but felt the need to address a statement she made, " It bothers me that patients never seem to question the need to go for c-section, but want to tell me exactly how to do their anesthetic. "  i really feel as though that's a very inaccurate statement for most folks here at mdc.  she also DID seem offended that people were asking questions, which i was attempting to point out, is not really something to be offended by.  i understand that it's not fair to lump people of the same profession into one category if they (like stormbride) are bitter about a past experience.  but at the same time, if you have knowledge and other people are interested in or ask questions about it, that's not really something to take affront with, in my opinion. 

i don't think i was disrespectful at any rate, and did thank that poster several times for the input.

Peace,

You did thank her for answering your questions. Then StormBride posted her answers/questions/issues and there seemed to be a bit of dog piling of the anesthesiologist with these statements of yours:

"i think you'll find in this particular on line community, there does exist a strong sense of questioning caesarian birth's necessity.  most of us are very well informed here, or else we're seeking to learn more, which is why mdc exists".

and

"but you can bet that i do have probing questions for most people whether they be my mechanic or my ob or the anesthesiologist.  i assume that's rare for you?  but, may i suggest that you not take offense at the questioning... it seemed to me that you were offended.  if you are a person in a position of the holder of knowledge, you shouldn't be too surprised when people do ask!"

That's all

Wife to DHluxlove.gif DS 98thumb.gif DD 03flower.gif DS 09 babyf.gifwinner.jpgcd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

She is here!!! Oct 5th!!!joy.gif

#33 of 33 Old 08-26-2011, 07:52 PM

Just wanted to say that for those of you who got super worked up here, you should probably go back and reread what you have written.  The two medical professionals who posted are members of this community too, and are deserving of the same respect as the rest of us.  I'm surprised and discouraged to see so much hostility on this board.

Kelly1101 likes this.

Happy fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed2.giffemalesling.GIF, delayed/selective vaxxing, WOHM to DD1 4/10 diaper.gif, DD2 8/12 babygirl.gif and partner/wife for thirteen years to SAHD DHsuperhero.gif.  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page