Oven drying Placenta question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 07-23-2011, 06:14 AM - Thread Starter

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I was reading through the other placenta encapsulation threads and saw that some people have success drying the placenta in the oven at 200 degrees overnight and then pulverizing in a bag with a rock.  I am not trying to encapsulate it, just dry it out so that I can transport it across the country (we're moving) and plant it in our new home. 

So I thawed the placenta during the day and put it in the oven overnight (almost 12 hours) at 200 degrees.  This morning it appear to be a charred blob.  I scooped it out and put it in a bag to crush it, but the inside is still pinkish and sort of rubbery.  It doesn't crush and it has a slight odor.  I am wondering if this will now mold... if it's not completely dry.  Should I stick the smashed/crushed remains into the oven for more drying?  If so, a lower temp maybe?  How long?  Thanks!!

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#2 of 5 Old 08-01-2011, 04:50 PM

Did you slice it up or did you try to dry it whole? Slice it thin and dry it until it is very crispy.

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
#3 of 5 Old 08-03-2011, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter

It's true... I did not slice it.  I was following directions from someone else who had oven dried and she didn't mention slicing... maybe it was implied.  Anyway, I'm sure that was the problem.  I chunked it up after it was dried and put it back in the oven, but I'm a pregnant vegetarian and the smell was nauseating after a while.  I gave up and put it in a container with dirt, hoping for the best during the move. 

Next time I would probaby steam it, slice it and put it in the oven that way.  Slicing a raw placenta is not something my veggie self could do at this point.  Sigh.

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#4 of 5 Old 08-05-2011, 04:56 AM

That's too bad. I hope it works out for you. I totally understand. I forced my MIL to do all that for me. I did look at the pictures she took of the process. Steaming doesn't make it look any prettier.

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
#5 of 5 Old 08-05-2011, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I've seen pics of steamed placenta, but at least it won't be raw and bloody... that's the worst part.  I would love to ask someone else to do it, but dh is worse than I am and now I'm living in a part of the country where homebirth is considered very strange- placenta cooking would be beyond comprehension.  I'd have to pay a doula/mw to have it done.  Sigh...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page